Quick Hello.

So you've just joined, why not say a few words to introduce yourself - a bit about you, your car - whatever!

Moderator: Contaminated

Rexholme

Re: Quick Hello.

Postby Rexholme » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:11 pm

Thanks Hammy!

Hammy wrote:if youre not a footie mad man or a golfer you should fit it in nicely.

Use to like football but barely follow it these days.

Golf - it’s a German car. Period. I can’t play pool or snooker which is putting small balls down holes on a green surface using a stick. Why would I play golf? :)

Rexholme

Postby Rexholme » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:47 pm

Thanks for the advice.

Flyingtiger wrote: A retired Caterham mechanic at a recent car meet also mentioned they can be more fragile on the road when you hit pot holes etc.

That’s really interesting, makes you think.

Flyingtiger wrote: How handy are you with a spanner? That may also make a difference on cost vs enjoyment. You can tinker/upgrade to your hearts content if you are that way inclined, a kit car is never finished!

It’s fair to say inexperienced but keen and able to learn. It’s also fair to say I prefer eating to cooking if you know what I mean. I’m not adverse to using a proper garage though. I’m primarily interested in driving and having life experiences. Maybe some quality time with one or both the kids if they become interested as they get older.

I use to service my cars a little when I was younger but a MkII Golf GTi was relatively easier to work on compared to a modern car so haven’t done much in a long time. But I have learned that I am able to turn my hand to jobs from doing DIY and bike maintenance over the years e.g. fit new pads, disc and bleed brakes, built a fixie etc. Or reposition, replumb and fit a new radiator - Never done it before. But I’m no car builder though.

I’m hoping to get on two 11 week evening adult-learning courses for vehicle maintenance next year. The first is for beginners and the second is a follow on for “intermediates”. We will see how it goes.

Thanks.

David T

Postby David T » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:50 am

Before building my car, most experience I had was swapping an alternator and brake overhauls. The rest has been a positive learning experience.

I built the car during the period when my daughter was quite young. Ironically it was the best time as she was young and went to bed early I could escape to the garage. Not so much now.

David T

Postby David T » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:52 am

Rexholme wrote:Thanks for the advice.
I’m hoping to get on two 11 week evening adult-learning courses for vehicle maintenance next year. The first is for beginners and the second is a follow on for “intermediates”. We will see how it goes.
Thanks.

Many years ago, a female colleague at work signed up motor mechanics evening class. Primarily with an eye to meet men. Turns out was mostly women on the course with the same idea!

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:32 pm

Many years ago, a female colleague at work signed up motor mechanics evening class. Primarily with an eye to meet men. Turns out was mostly women on the course with the same idea!

knowing my luck i;d end up with Susan Boyle and Ann Hegerty ....

SteveRST

Postby SteveRST » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:40 pm

David T wrote:Many years ago, a female colleague at work signed up motor mechanics evening class. Primarily with an eye to meet men. Turns out was mostly women on the course with the same idea!

I've made a mental note of this. :mrgreen:
Don't tell the girlfriend :lol:
Westfield Zetec turbo & Westfield Megabusa turbo

Return to “New Members - Say Hello Please”