Sylva Striker Builder

So you've just joined, why not say a few words to introduce yourself - a bit about you, your car - whatever!

Moderator: Contaminated

pekwah1

Sylva Striker Builder

Postby pekwah1 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:45 am

Hi Guys.

so not techinally a 'new' member, been floating around for a while, but haven't ever put a single post up until now!

So i obtained a part built Sylva Striker last year with the intention of getting it up and running by this summer. It arrived to me as a rolling chassis, i've been busy fitting panels, doing brakes, pulled out the old crossflow in favour of a zetec....

I've got to the point of tackling the wiring now.... i bought a raw loom for the chassis, so just need to get my head around the ignition and charging system really and should be ok! otherwise just need to get some more fittings (lights and clocks and stuff) and then get the bodywork fitted properly and should be nearly there!

I'll get looking around at the meets to see if there's anything around my way, always good to nose as other peoples cars for inspiration!

Regards,
Andy

greenwoo
Site Admin

Re: Sylva Striker Builder

Postby greenwoo » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:21 am

Andy, good to 'see' you on here. There's a fair few knowledgeable folks around, so if you run into problems just holler. Some could even be tempted to swing past your home for a gander and advice ( if there's a degree of bacon available )....
In terms of regular meets near Horsham.......none that i'm aware of, although i stand to be corrected. However there's a gathering 1st Friday of the month at the Grasshopper just outside Westerham on the A25 ( just west of Westerham) - that was originally the JPSCC clan which is normally augmented by a few of us from here. Or - there's the SATOC - souther Tigers who meet at Windlesham on the last Thursday of the month - for sure in that clan there's at least 4 guys who regulalrly turn up who've done the sva or iva thing!

Good luck with the rest of the build and i'm sre someone will say....THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICS :D

pekwah1

Postby pekwah1 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:24 am

oh yeh, pics.....

Should do you for starters....
westerham's not far away from me, i'll make sure i'm there for the next one!

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:06 am

what i know about IVA could be written on a matchbox, but there's no doubt a few tips n tricks to make life more simple ( like not having the windscreen ), even if you've picked a few brains throughout the build it would be worth seeing if someone can pop over who has gone through the process - might just save a re-test!

Nash

Postby Nash » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:51 am

Hi Andy and officially welcome. Good time to post as the final push to IVA is best done with the support of like minded.

Couple of points that may help you with IVA. Mark has mentioned one re the windscreen. IVA is much easier without one.

Second point. I see you have put the Zetec in. Do you know what year it is? Reason I ask is emissions test. Your x-flow will be smoke test only. Depending on the age of the zetec it will need to pass emissions laws pertaining to the year of manufacture. Again it just makes the IVA less of a headache.

Happy to organise a run out one weekend to pop over and have a look as I went through IVA last June.

Just PM me if you want to take up the offer.

Once again welcome.

.......... Neil
Buckle Up - Adventure Calls

Fury1630

Postby Fury1630 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:21 pm

Hi Andy, car's coming together nicely, I'm in Guildford & have a Fury, so not to far & not too different if I can be any help. As well as the Grasshopper, there's a JPSC (Jeremy Phillips Sports Car Club) meet at the Links in Liphook on each third Thursday. https://groups.google.com/group/Sylva-Chat/topics?hl=en is the place to find out what's going on.

T

pekwah1

Postby pekwah1 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:55 pm

Regarding the windsreen, i've already taken off the big screen and have just about fitted a flyscreen instead, i had already noticed that with a windscreen you need wipers and a demister, and i plainly can't be bothered!

As for the zetec, i don't know the date, everytime i go out there i keep meaning to note down the serial number and work it out, but i keep forgetting. Maybe getting rid of the xflow was a bit silly in retrospect, but too late now...! oh and i guess the twin 40 carbs don't help much either....! :P

Is the next liphook meeting this thursday then? Oh and thanks for the offers of coming to have a look, i'll definitely have to take some of you up on that!

Fury1630

Postby Fury1630 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:47 pm

pekwah1 wrote:Is the next liphook meeting this thursday then?

I guess it is, the SylvaChat forum would be the place to confirm - I'm only an occasional visitor to that meet, though I may get more frequent when the Punch Bowl tunnel opens :D

T

Tony B
Site Admin

Postby Tony B » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:08 pm

did I hear bacon sandwiches ????

Hi and welcome, re the Zetec's, the emmisions are a real nightmare for the SVA/IVA if the engine is younger than somewhere in the early nineties (92 seems to ring a bell), if its not too much trouble I would recommend putting the crossflow in for the test then ripping it back out as soon as you get home, that way whatever you put in it it will only ever me MOT'd for visible smoke.

pekwah1

Postby pekwah1 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:42 pm

too late, it's gone! and i've butchered the old engine mounts... i like to make things difficult for myself!

Return to “New Members - Say Hello Please”