Building GBS Zero (Race)

So you've just joined, why not say a few words to introduce yourself - a bit about you, your car - whatever!

Moderator: Contaminated

Z2000

Re: Building GBS Zero (Race)

Postby Z2000 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:16 pm

Had a good session today fitting the new removable chassis upright:

I also spent some time working out why the VTEC wasn't coming on....I have power to the relay. continuity from ECU plug to relay, wired a bulb in in place of solenoid, lit up when VTEC should have come on. Applied voltage to solenoid and it clicked. Can only assume either there's low oil pressure (dipstick shows perfect level) or perhaps the VTEC isn't noticeable without the map being tuned?? Bit baffled here....

I feel your pain on a packed up garage Tony, I packed mine up and moved it all to Derby when I had finished the car but now with the few minor 'tweaks' I've had to find all the tools I need and bring them back over to the old garage where I can work on the car until it's IVA'd and moves to my new garage...grr! Such effort.

Hope you get yours fixed up and back on the road soon :)
Good luck with the move too!!
Henry
---
Build Blog & Car Info: http://Z2000.co.uk

Z2000

Postby Z2000 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:02 pm

Right!....well it's been a while but since my last post the car has been back to Emerald for a full rolling road session, hit 220BHP at the flywheel (a little lower than the official 238 but I put that down to a combination of the exhaust manifold being a little bigger bore and maybe the intake cone filter choice, and Emerald being a little pessimistic on their numbers.)

After the rolling road the car went to GBS for it's IVA test which it passed first time with a small advisory for me to adjust the brake set up slightly (bias wasn't quite right but still passed).

Once the car got back to me I sent off the paperwork to the DVLA as soon as I could and the V5 arrived this week so I was straight down to my friend at the local car dealership to get a pair of numberplates made up!

Hopefully my first proper drive on the road will be tomorrow if the weather holds off long enough. Then I plan to head over to the GBS factory on Saturday morning for a longer run out. Can't wait!!

Roll on the Rogue Runners Tour 2016!!!

So some more photos:

Henry
---

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:51 pm

Well done for passing IVA at the first attempt :D

I'll see you on the Rogue Runners tour if not before :)

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:52 pm

well played, hope you get some dry days top start enjoying it :)

Z2000

Postby Z2000 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:50 pm

Thanks both.

I'd like to try and get a southern excursion in the spring to meet up with the bulk of the club...seems being up here in Derby I am quite far from a lot of the run outs and meet ups.

Can't wait to get clocking up the miles on it!
Henry
---

locost220

Postby locost220 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:54 pm

well done, hope we see you soon down south.
Richard.
Locost book chassis, Undergoing testing post rebuild :D :?
Robin Hood 2B, keeping me sane
Sylva Leader, stuck to the trailer

Z2000

Postby Z2000 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:10 am

Thanks all.

I had a good first weekend driving the kit; found a few niggles, learnt that the back end likes to go out when you hammer the throttle on a cold wet road and I also learn that I LOVE MY CAR.

I clocked up 200 miles over the weekend, and took around 10 people out for a quick sprint in it; I think I scared a few!

I also drove to the GBS Factory to take some chaps from work around for a bit of a tour and I made the GBS blog: http://www.greatbritishsportscars.co.uk/rolls-royce-motor-club-visit-the-gbs-factory/

It's still not quite sunk in yet that I have finished the car I have spent nearly two years working on but I'm getting there. I have spent a few hours this week just ironing out a few of the niggles such as the speedo reading half the RPM and thus the gear indicator also not reading correctly as well as a flickering speedo reading.

I'm sure there will be more but for the moment, I am just looking forward to the next dry day.
Henry
---

David T

Postby David T » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:44 am

Congratulations. Great feeling, isn't it?

Z2000

Postby Z2000 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:56 am

Yes. Fantastic feeling! Looking forward to next summer.

But before then, some dry wintery day :)
Henry
---

andyf

Postby andyf » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:32 am

Well done, it feels great to drive a car that you've built. I still get a big grin after 28 years :D
MkII Marlin Roadster with Ford 2.0L Pinto and Type 9 gearbox. Going for the oily rag restoration look :-)

Return to “New Members - Say Hello Please”