Looking for the way to join in with SKC.

So you've just joined, why not say a few words to introduce yourself - a bit about you, your car - whatever!

Moderator: Contaminated

Wingco

Re: Looking for the way to join in with SKC.

Postby Wingco » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:19 am

That is a good point Bob, I run standard pads and solid discs, ok mine is not as quick as most of the others but my brakes are very good and give me great feed back. Also don't forget our cars are very light in weight so don't take much to stop them, so perhaps try your brakes with a set of standard pads for the time being and see how you get on, just an idea.
Mirror, Signal go faster pedal !!

KATIE

Postby KATIE » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:24 am

Nash wrote:Hi Ross and welcome to the club. Whereabouts in East Kent are you? I'm near Ashford. Specs sounds good , especially interested in what you think of the Nitron's

Once again welcome

..... Neil

Thanks for the welcome Neil. We are in Brook between Wye and Brabourne. Still working on the spec and as you might have guessed there was a short period of racing(Spridgets) as a younger person but never could afford the best goodies so hoping to go one better this time but only for road and may be track day. The Nitrons so far have been softened up from the original setup because of the state of the minor road surfaces was giving the suspension a real hammering so jury is out on how good they are until road holding expectations are upped when the engine is given its head.
Hope to meet up soon.

Ross

KATIE

Postby KATIE » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:39 am

Wingco wrote:Hi Ross or is it Katie ??
Welcome to the best kit car club around. As Neil said where about are you in Kent ? I'm in Swanley, we are out most Sundays for a breakie run, keep an eye out for the shouts and join in.

Once again welcome.

Hi Wingco thanks for the welcome.
We are in Brook between Wye and Brabourne 2 miles off M20 junction 10. Best get the Katie thing sorted out now, the car needed a name, admirer remarked that the exhaust was a big roar, so Katie (Perry) lets hope there are no copyright hang ups.
Does Wingco mean yours has got wings?

Looking forward to getting in on the meet ups

Ross

KATIE

Postby KATIE » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:57 am

scotty wrote:Welcome along sounds like you have been having fun! A lot of peoplefind non servo brakes hard to get used to at first but you will get it in the end after a few miles and really enjoy the feel they have,get ya self on track day to see what it can do then you can feel relaxed on the road(i'm at brands again on wednesday its great fun although i am usually massivly out gunned lol)

Thanks for the welcome scotty.
As a first build the going was a bit intense but feel a second (not on the cards) would be easier. Not OCD but wanted it right.
About the brakes, the present tin top has the best braking of any road car I have had and yes there will be better ones but you are going to be right that there is life after the servo. The replacement Ferodo DS2500's needed a second shot at the mods required for the rears and now hoping they will feel a bit more willing to join in.
Hope the Brands outing goes well, have fond memories (not) of getting Paddock and Druids very wrong thankfully not on the same day.

Ross

KATIE

Postby KATIE » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:07 am

steve m wrote:As said above, non servo brakes are well odd, but when you strap yourself into a no doors , sitting on the floor with a million miles of headroom style of car, it tells your brain, this is not my tintop
it drives differently, its fun, and the brakes feel so different, its as though there connected to the peddle :o

steve

Hi steve very limited mileage so far but bedding in well, have to even so far had to warn the brain to behave as far as the road holding is concerned and hopefully got the right foot and brain properly synced. Not to sure yet were the R1R's will want to go when it gets a bit moist!

Ross

KATIE

Postby KATIE » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:38 am

b33fy wrote:Welcome Katie, nice to see a token female on the forum, I'm sure our real female, Linda, will be pleased with a little "female" company even if it is just at weekends. :D

Unassisted brakes take a little getting used to and needs quite a bit more effort. If your systems up to spec and similar to others, I'm sure it'll stop you when it needs to. What calipers and discs are you running?

Thanks for the welcome have come clean else where about the Katie thing which is the cars name, with reason, not the pilot. Linda has nothing to fear as a real female from half a ton of noise and metal driven by an ex boy racer.
On to the brakes before the moderator has to read this more than once, the set up is the standard factory upgrade which isn't saying much, those that do know about brakes have not been to complementary about the pads supplied and come up with (to try) pads from a major manufacture that were not for a Triumph Dolomite or Spitfire but for road and track day but definitely not racing. Will be giving a run out later today so long as it stays dry cos wet would not be a smart thing to do especially as the R1R's need more understanding.

Ross

KATIE

Postby KATIE » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:43 am

SJLB wrote:Hi Ross, welcome to the club, hope to see you out and about on a run soon.

Hi Steve thanks for the welcome and looking forward to meeting up and comparing notes especially on any engine mods.

Ross

KATIE

Postby KATIE » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:53 am

Red27 wrote:
b33fy wrote:I'm sure our real female, Linda, will be pleased with a little "female" company...

Oi Mike, who says I'm one of those - I'm a Geezer Bird :lol: :lol:

I hate servo brakes. I get in the tin top, and I just wait for all jolts as I head for the windscreen only to be stopped by the seatbelt every time I even think of going near the brake. Best solution if you're not convinced about your brakes yet, drive your Westy more, tin top less!

Welcome along Ross, great 'handle' :lol:

Well hello Linda thanks for the welcome and will take the advice starting this afternoon.

PS Like the hardware especially the red one, and would travel to see that one in action.

Ross

KATIE

Postby KATIE » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:57 am

Dick wrote:Hi Ross and welcome to the club

Thanks for the greeting Dick the responses club members have given me are very endearing.

Ross

KATIE

Postby KATIE » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:19 am

kirmodawn1 wrote:You should note that non standard pads usually have fairly poor stopping power until they get hot. It common for cars to struggle at MOT because there is no heat in the brakes. I run Greenstuff pads with large discs and a servo. On normal driving they work adequately but on a blat or track they are much better. So it depends what how you use your car.

Bob

Hi Bob thanks for the pad info. I'm trying some Ferodo DS2500's which they recommend for road and up to track day but definitely not racing. They say they do need warming up but should perform adequately as a compromise, going to give them a run this afternoon and see how they feel. Pleased to say that the inclination to drive is still alive and kicking and do appreciate your advice.

Ross

Return to “New Members - Say Hello Please”