Whats more fun, a large lazy engine, or a small engine

So you've just joined, why not say a few words to introduce yourself - a bit about you, your car - whatever!

Moderator: Contaminated

martin butler

Whats more fun, a large lazy engine, or a small engine

Postby martin butler » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:16 pm

OK, Hers my first offering on here, so you fellow petrol heads, whats better in a lightweight kit car, something big and heavy, or something small and that you have to work hard to really enjoy :D
My car only has a little 1300 crossflow, but its in a lightweight chassis, with properly sorted brakes , and i get more fun out of it than driving something with a V8 that you hardly have to make work, it suits me where i live because there are very few fast roads, and if I am honest, i wouldnt feel safe driving my car on a motorway with Kamikazi truck drivers and BMW pilots , who seem to think that 70 applies to everyone else.
I love driving it along country roads and B roads, than risking life mixing it with the other idiots, that may not see me until my back end disapears under their front end, :shock:
ii recently took mine from Hastings to Swindon for a family gatherig, with a trip to Stoneleigh on the sunday,, using only A roads,and very few duel carrageways, and it was a blast i kept up with road speeds cruising at about 50 ish, stoping enroute, so modern driving wasnt the hassle i expected ,

DJ.

Re: Whats more fun, a large lazy engine, or a small engine

Postby DJ. » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:09 pm

You're preaching to the converted here, I have a 1.6 with about 120bhp in my Seven and it's just about perfect for road use. I need to use revs and gears to keep speed up, but it's still too quick to use all the acceleration for more than a few seconds at a time on the road.

Come road tax time, I wish it was a 1.3 though :)

oldaker

Postby oldaker » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:32 pm

Hi Martin. Good to see you over on here! As you know, my Phaeton is having a transplant in the next few weeks from 1300 to a 1600 I have built. ( +60 thou rebore, 1300 pistons for higher compression, Kent 234 cam , polished and lightly ported head ( basically just matched to the inlet manifold ) and a single 40 DCOE ( single because there isn't room for twins - the master cylinder is in the way ) Hoping for around 110 - 120BHP. The 1300 was OK, but lacked overtaking power and seemed "busy " at 60/70MPH. I am hoping with the larger engine, it will be quite a bit quicker, although at the cost of fuel consumption and road tax! Mine is purely a fun "sunny day" toy, so these extra costs don't worry me. I'll have a 1300 engine available if anyone is looking for one......believed to be a 1300GT engine ( head certainly has the larger valves ) 681 block on standard bores, so plenty of life left in it.

russtik

Postby russtik » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:39 pm

I've got a little 1.6 engine too and I find the 260 horses is adequate to keep up with modern traffic.
Current: Fisher Fury Spyder - 16v Toyota 4AGE
Previous: Road Runner SR2 Turbo - SOLD
Previous: Tiger Avon - Raceline Zetec-R

'Like' SKCC on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/Southernkitcars

SJLB

Postby SJLB » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:15 pm

I find my 1.3 engine more than adequate for road use
Steve
Westfield Megabusa, Bromley, Kent.

kenton

Postby kenton » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:32 pm

In a normal 7 then probably a small revvy one but I like to be different. :lol:

andyf

Postby andyf » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:44 pm

I went for the 2L pinto in standard trim. It's not powerful but has loads of torque which makes it fun to drive without having to rev the nuts off it ;-)
MkII Marlin Roadster with Ford 2.0L Pinto and Type 9 gearbox. Going for the oily rag restoration look :-)

Chris_Xtreme

Postby Chris_Xtreme » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:38 pm

Have to say I love my v8.. Always wanted one so after 2 pinto powered kits and a failed attempt to upgrade the later to a v8 due to family life I bought one,then converted it to bike throttle bodies and MS. Love the intake noise now prob more than the exhaust.

andyf

Postby andyf » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:27 pm

There's nothing like the sound of a v8
MkII Marlin Roadster with Ford 2.0L Pinto and Type 9 gearbox. Going for the oily rag restoration look :-)

scotty

Postby scotty » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:21 am

Love the noise of a v8 ....but cant get away from lots and lots of revs lol so usually you need smaller lighter engines for that,i would love a bike engine if i could discover a decent reverse solution they tick all the boxes light revvy etc but hopefully the new lump i have will go some way to sorting me for a while.
Luego with a mighty 104bhp!!!

Return to “New Members - Say Hello Please”