new Member - Near Southampton Hants

So you've just joined, why not say a few words to introduce yourself - a bit about you, your car - whatever!

Moderator: Contaminated

Alextreme

Re: new Member - Near Southampton Hants

Postby Alextreme » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:54 pm

Hi all,
some bad news.... my car was totalled this weekend by someone cutting across me at a junction. The front of my xtreme is completely pushed in and the chassis is bent around 100mm to one side. Thankfully I am ok with only a minor hip pain however after spending around too much money and 6 months getting lots of minor "sorted" (eg new exhuast catalyst and referbed roof only this week) and it was my first proper drive this weekend with everything working. I am gutted to say the least. At least the other driver admitted full responsibility and I have a witness.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Q ... directlink
Does anyone have any advice on getting the best value from the other parties insurance?
Thanks
Alex

David T

Postby David T » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:04 pm

Really sorry to hear that. :( :( Maybe it can be fixed?

Alextreme

Postby Alextreme » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:18 pm

Hi David, not a chance of getting it fixed. The chassis is bent (it is a stainless steel monocoque) back to behind the seats, front suspension and steering bent, all the front GRP panels are wreaked, screen cracked, rear moulding damaged (impact ripped off the spare wheel mounted on the boot!).
Cheers
Alex

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:51 pm

sorry to hear this!!

ok - have you got an agreed value ( i'm guessing not by your question ) ?

you need to do the following PDQ.
if there's a club /forum for extremes - pull off all cars sold / for sale within the past 6-12mths, keep that info handy.
quietly ask if any have changed hands over the past year that havent been advertised there ( ie/ other members bought one ) - again, compile info on sales/purchases.

get on pistonheads now and do the same - search any for sale.
search ebay for relevant / similar cars that have sold during the past 6-12mths ( you can do that by using the advanced search tad ).

make a note ( within reason) of the extras that you car has, especially anything that has added value - such as a new hood.
add in things that are unusual - ie/ a decent set of throttle bodies/ecu versus carbs.
same with non visible items - an lsd has more worth than an open diff ( not that anyone would check )

basically what's likely to happen is that the insurance co will send a claims assessor, who will clearly confirm the basic details culiminating in his recommendation that it is indeed a write off - that info, will go to the claims mgmnt company and in turn either in-house or externally they will make an offer.
Bear in mind that as its a kit car all they can do is what you will have done, but possibly not so thoroughly - they will scan ebay/pistonheads and try to find like for like cars. All you can do is to argue based upon your own comparables, and based upon the 'extras' that your car may have over others ( injection/ecu's/new weather gear/lsd/new tyres/wheels etc).

Reality will be that you will have to show why your payout should be higher than they suggest - and that means you need as much evidence as poss.

good luck!!

Alextreme

Postby Alextreme » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:49 pm

Thanks for the suggestion / ideas!
No I do not have an agreed value however as I am claiming the insurance directly of the other drivers insurance does this matter?? I thought the agreed value is for if you make a claim to your ins. company?
I searched the interweb for cars that have been sold in the last year and it is minimal - there was one with a much lower spec engine that I suppose will be a starting point. I am trying on the Locostbuilders forum as well...
Tried Pistonheads but no luck there at all!
Will start to make a list on all the work I have done though - good idea!
Alex

Fury1630

Postby Fury1630 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:23 pm

When my daughter scrapped her tintop (so may not be relevant) the advice I was given that seemed to work, was to keep saying "I want the car replaced". They obviously don't want to spend time looking for a replacement & it seemed to loosen the purse strings a little.

Might be worth a try - but what bad luck :(

Fury1630

Postby Fury1630 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:25 pm

Oh also - any magazine articles comparing an Extreme favourably with other sevens especially Westfieds & Caterhams which are easier to value

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:20 pm

Sorry to hear that :(

I'm not up on dealing with insurance companies, but it is certain that their first offer will be low.
From the car expert in the newspaper I read, I believe the insurance company are obliged to put you in a similar situation before their client hit you.

Alextreme

Postby Alextreme » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:58 pm

Hi All thanks again for the advice.
Fury, I specifically like the idea of asking them to find a replacement!
btw what is the car shown on your user info :-)?
Cheers
Alex

Matth93

Postby Matth93 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:22 pm

Sorry to hear that I hope they sort it out for you quite quickly

Return to “New Members - Say Hello Please”