Newbie Hello

So you've just joined, why not say a few words to introduce yourself - a bit about you, your car - whatever!

Moderator: Contaminated

Andya

Newbie Hello

Postby Andya » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:44 pm

Hi SKCC,
new to kit cars but I have played around with all sorts of old cars.
I've just brought a Mini based car similar to a Scamp Moke.
Now my problem is I don't have a V5 or any paperwork to identify it, not even a number plate, it has been registered as I can see where the number plate has been.
Does anyone out there have any info on how I should get it registered?
I would also like to know what the make is, or does anyone recognise it?
Any help would be great,
Cheers Andy. :ugeek:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (35.68 KiB) Viewed 3957 times

raplma

Re: Newbie Hello

Postby raplma » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:02 pm

Hi Andy
Most welcome to the club!

To get your quest rolling, may I start with what most of us will be thinking from reading your story and that is "good luck with that"!

With it being an old kit, it will fit right into the age of stolen identities, fake identities, incorrectly registered kits, stick on any identity to drive to the rally kits....
...if you have nowt to go on then this really will be the proverbial needle in a universe full of hay and even consider the fact that it is quite possible the car was never properly registered.

Even if you do find something the era when the DVLA were willing to sort out registration issues may have long gone.

Let me tell you my story as it's not too dissimilar before giving some other suggestions.
So I picked up a 1983 Sylva Star no paperwork no registration.
Phoned local DVLA, they didn't want to know unless i have something.
Knowing the make and model of the car and with the car having a unique bonnet a long trawl of google images (or whatever was the equivalent then) turned up trumps.
Found a pic of the car when bought by the previous owner and there was the registration - the guy I bought it off was being well unhelpful - I reckon he was out to sell the ID separately.
However that was only the start as the plate was still registered on the V5 as a Vauxhall Viva - the donor.
Anyway eventually DVLA inspector came out, said should be on a Q plate but due to the hassle and (at the time) a purge on getting kits registered correctly, they would allow us to keep the original year plate and update the V5c. Took 8 months though. Bear in mind that this was also pre-SVA days which may also effect you now.
Needless to say my story had a happy ending, the car is correctly registered, I have a V5c and come 2016 it will be tax free too whoohoo!!! :D

So, some random ideas and I'm sure the more learned members of the club will come through with better ones.
Go back to the person you bought it off and demand some history, if not your money back :D

More helpfully... seeing yours has a pretty unique grill and roll cage get image searching.
Remember there were many mini Moke, Mini Scamp type kits such as the Mini Nomad, Grantura Yak...and amazingly not just manufactured in the UK.
I would guess yours is unlikely to be a Moke as I think I am right in saying they had a standard grill, which is not on yours - but that does not necessarily mean it isn't.
Search the car chassis carefully for a chassis number, might be a rough piece of metal riveted on most likely in the engine bay but not necessarily - if it was ever registered correctly it would have had to have one, even if it was a made up number.
With this and an engine number you may get lucky when phoning the DVLA.
Post a pic up on the owners club websites asking if anyone recognises the car.
If you know the area the car came from check out some of the rally club sites.
Phone the DVLA up and see what they suggest ;)

Anyway, some starters for 10 if I think of any others I'll post again.

Mark

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:22 pm

Hi Andy, welcome to SKCC :D

I hope I am wrong, but I'm 99% sure it will have to go through IVA.
In fact, from the sound of what Mark was saying, it might be quicker to get reading the IVA regs and see if it is possible to get it through.
8 months of grief arguing with the DVLA sounds like a nightmare.

Nash

Postby Nash » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:53 pm

Hi and welcome to the club. I have to agree with Duncan (DJ) The official but not the easiest way will be to IVA it. There are both advantages and disadvantages to this route. The IVA will make sure the car is of a standard and will add resale value to the car. The downside is it's not cheap or easy.

Once again welcome to the club.

......... Neil
Buckle Up - Adventure Calls

Andya

Postby Andya » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:58 am

Thanks for the welcome :D
I brought this knowing that it had no ID, the previous owner had it for 10 years and intended to do Autotesting, it was in a barn before this, so I don't have any history.
I have looked at google images looking for a photo of the car, if I can identify it it will be easier!
It definitely not a genuine Moke, looks a bit like a Scamp but the bonnet is different.
What is involved with going down the IVA route? And where can I get some info of what I need to do.
I was thinking of trying to register it before doing any work on her, but if I go down the IVA I know that's not possible. :(
Thank you for your replies,
Andy 8-)

Phil N

Postby Phil N » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:21 am

Hi and welcome! Obviously buying a logbook wouldn't be an option because that's illegal ;) ;)
9 is more than a number

steve m

Postby steve m » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:10 am

The Guy that built the scamp is in Rowfant sussex,

http://www.scampmotorcompany.co.uk/index.html

http://www.scampownersclub.org.uk/

If it was my car, i would buy a cheap mini with a V5 :D

steve
Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Dave Z

Postby Dave Z » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:34 pm

If it was my car, i would buy a cheap mini with a V5 :D

steve[/quote]

welcome to the club.

I wouldn't follow Steve down this route as it wouldn't have the correct description on the v5 unless you took it through IVA. If you could find one the same as yours correctly registered and took all the good parts from yours to rebuild the registered one you could possibly get away with it though.

many have fallen foul of insurance doing as Steve suggests,

Return to “New Members - Say Hello Please”