New member in Kent

So you've just joined, why not say a few words to introduce yourself - a bit about you, your car - whatever!

Moderator: Contaminated

felixflyer

New member in Kent

Postby felixflyer » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:57 am

Hi guys

I am thinking of building a kit car with my son so just joined. We live down in Ashford.

I would like something we can both learn to race in, nothing major and don't want to break the bank. Just a bit of fun really. He is only 9 now so thinking it will be good for him to learn some mechanical skills and learn to drive in when he is older on the track.

I am thinking of an Exocet at the moment. I am 6'3" so it can't be anything too small and want something fairly cheap and simple to build as I have another major project on the go (another story) and don't want my son to lose interest.

Regards

Mike

greenwoo
Site Admin

Re: New member in Kent

Postby greenwoo » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:03 am

hI Mike, sounds like quality time with yoru son - you might need a language filter for thos emoments when you trap your fingers in something unyielding!
mk1 on here lives in the m/stone area and built an exocet, so he might be able to give some advice, think he's hibernating for winter though.

can't give you any advice on building as i cheated and bought....
but have fun and feel free to seek inspiration at a brekkie meet or similar....
cheers
Mark

Fury1630

Postby Fury1630 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:37 am

Hello & welcome.

If you're thinking of building & racing, Fury Sports Cars are in Kent http://www.furysportscars.co.uk/.

Might be more than you want to spend though?

felixflyer

Postby felixflyer » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:19 am

Thanks guys,

That Fury looks nice.

I may have to go and have a look at that.

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:23 am

Hi Mike

Welcome and great you are bringing the average age of the club down with your son :oops:

I like your plan and will wait with interest to see what you do race.

Nash

Postby Nash » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:14 pm

Hi Mike,
I'm in Ashford. I'll ping you a PM to discuss detail but more than happy to pop over and chat cars and options! I'll even bring nag my car round so you can try it for size.

Welcome to th club by the way.

Neil
Buckle Up - Adventure Calls

russtik

Postby russtik » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:27 pm

Hi Mike, welcome to SKCC.

I'm afraid I too am in the 'bought not built' camp but having owned kit cars for a few years I have some insight into the trials and tribulations (as well as the fun). I think my advice would match many others in saying try and see as many kits as you possibly can in the flesh, get passenger rides etc. It's easy to get an idea in your head that you want a certain kit but they've each got their own little nuances that are best understood by seeing in person and talking to owners. Also consider the companies behind these kits and how well they foster customer relations, proximity to their workshop will almost certainly be a huge bonus.

So in summary I'd advise keeping an eye out for runs and meets and get yourself along, don't be shy asking for a passenger seat.

Russ.
Current: Fisher Fury Spyder - 16v Toyota 4AGE
Previous: Road Runner SR2 Turbo - SOLD
Previous: Tiger Avon - Raceline Zetec-R

'Like' SKCC on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/Southernkitcars

felixflyer

Postby felixflyer » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:04 pm

Thanks,

Neil, that would be great, have replied to your PM.

I will probably hold off making any final decision until after I have been to Stoneleigh and had a good look.

Regards

Mike

kirmodawn1

Postby kirmodawn1 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:10 pm

Stoneleigh is a great idea and only a few weeks away, so perfect timing. Have a good look around the clubs area. You can see the same basic car but with vastly different set ups and engines - everything from mild to very wild. Ask to sit in as many different cars as you can. You might be surprised how cramped a Caterham is for example, despite being one of the most expensive kits. The Exocet may seem appealing due to its relative simplicity and cost but it will be a very raw driving experience being almost totally open to the elements.

Try before you buy is best advice.

Look for a white Quantum 2+2 in Martini livery on the Scottish KCC area and I'll gladly chat. You can also pick up a Quantum for pocket money and then convert it as you see fit. Mine has a Zetec turbo with 270hp and will eat Porsches for breakfast. Worth a thought

Bob
Quantum 2+2 Zetec Turbo

Tony T

Postby Tony T » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:08 pm

Welcome mate there are some members who have built from scratch and some bought stripped and rebuilt so ask the question and someone will no the answer :D

Tony T

Return to “New Members - Say Hello Please”