New member in Kent

So you've just joined, why not say a few words to introduce yourself - a bit about you, your car - whatever!

Moderator: Contaminated

DJ.

Re: New member in Kent

Postby DJ. » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:33 pm

Welcome to SKCC Mike :D

Building a kit with your son should be a great experience. My daughter helped a little, but wasn't very keen.

One thing that's worth being aware of is that with most kit cars, they cost quite a lot more to build than you imagine when you start out.It's all the little parts that add up. Also with most makes, the car is worth less built and used than it cost to build.

I don't want to put you off, and I think you are probably on the right track with an Exocet, because it has been designed to use as many parts from the donor as possible and you can sell off some parts too (although I never have much luck with selling on Ebay).

With multi-donor kits it is generally more cost effective to buy a finished registered kit, and then rebuild/modify it to match your needs.

I might see you at Stoneleigh :)

Fury1630

Postby Fury1630 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:55 pm

There's also "kits" & "KITS". I mean some are effectively snap-together & come with all parts pre-drilled & you're just assembling it, others require more thought on the part of the builder. I wanted something with a good dollop of my own engineering in it, so the Fury was ideal, it's a very satisfying way to go about it.

I'm not saying it'd suit you, it's just another thing to be aware of when looking at kits. Some appear to cost more but perhaps the kit has everything you'll need, ready to be fitted.

Also as most of the companies are very small concerns, they may well be able to make a chassis to fit you, I know Fisher's made chassis' with the pedal box moved for very tall folk. It's all a case of working out what's best for you & the wider the range you sit in, look at & talk about, the better your decision will be. Come & introduce yourself at Stoneliegh - I think most of us are going on the Sunday, there's a thread on here somewhere.

SJLB

Postby SJLB » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:52 pm

Welcome to the club. I must say building a car for your 9 year old son is one of the poorest excuses I've heard :D :D
My father built a 7 1/4" steam loco for my nephew, he was thrilled!!
Good luck and keep us posted
Steve
Westfield Megabusa, Bromley, Kent.

felixflyer

Postby felixflyer » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:25 am

Haha, bad excuse I know but it does make it much easier to get approval when it's for the kids educational benefit. ;)

Seriously though, if it gets him off racing games on his xbox and onto the real thing I will be happy.

mk1

Postby mk1 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:11 pm

Hi Mike,

Yes, as suggested by Mr G, I have been hibernating for the last few months. I have been playing around with some goodies over the winter, working towards installing a Mini Cooper supercharger to the Exocet. At the moment the Exocet is siting in a storage container as we have just moved and the car has to take a back seat for the time being. As far as the Exocet, I thoroughly enjoyed the build as a novice builder and received great support from Stuart and Jules at MEV. I paid £900 for a tidy 1990 Mk1 Eunos and managed to recover £1200 from selling unwanted bits. Good luck with your chosen build. You are welcome to come over and look at the Exocet once its out of hibernation.

Mark

Nash

Postby Nash » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:27 pm

Good to meet you today Mike. Stoneleigh will be good for you and Jay to see what's available and talking to the various companies will allow you to make an informed decision.

It will be a piece of cake to build a car compared to the plane in you garage.

Anyway you have my number if you need to call for advice.

Cheers........ Neil
Buckle Up - Adventure Calls

felixflyer

Postby felixflyer » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:12 pm

Thanks again Neil.

I am sold, I just won and picked up an MX5 on ebay too so there is no going back now.

Mike

Nash

Postby Nash » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:28 pm

felixflyer wrote:Thanks again Neil.

I am sold, I just won and picked up an MX5 on ebay too so there is no going back now.

Mike

Haha well played.
Buckle Up - Adventure Calls

Return to “New Members - Say Hello Please”