Leaded or unleaded

So you've just joined, why not say a few words to introduce yourself - a bit about you, your car - whatever!

Moderator: Contaminated

Kegco

Leaded or unleaded

Postby Kegco » Wed May 18, 2016 7:32 pm

image.jpeg
Hi All,
Im after some advice my tiger is 205 pinto block with a big valve 1600 head by the 4th spark plug it's got a stamp 5C does anyone know what this means?
I'm trying to find out if it's unleaded or not with out stripping it down yet. The guy I bought it off said he adds lead substitute but not sure if needs it as the pinto has been rebuilt with fast cams and big valves but not sure if been converted I believe the car was a 1987 Sierra so not sure if leaded or not
Any info will be much appreciated
Cheers
Kev
Last edited by Kegco on Fri May 27, 2016 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ST170 Tiger cat E1
2.1 Tiger cat E1
Mini Rod73 (track toy)

steve m

Re: Leaded or unleaded

Postby steve m » Wed May 18, 2016 7:40 pm

There are two ways of checking, if the head has been converted to run on unleaded

first one involves taking the head off, and inspecting round the valves for a feint line, if it has one, (or four) that would indicate its had inserts fitted on the exhaust valves

the second way is much much quicker, but could be expensive

drive the car for the next year, but don't add any additive, if its still running in a year or so, and the valves havnt snapped, or need adjusting, you could have an unleaded head :D

personly I would just add the additive,

steve
Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Kegco

Postby Kegco » Wed May 18, 2016 8:44 pm

Thanks Steve
Think I'll keep on with the additive for now
ST170 Tiger cat E1
2.1 Tiger cat E1
Mini Rod73 (track toy)

Fury1630

Postby Fury1630 » Thu May 19, 2016 6:51 am

I drove a 205 block "leaded only" Pinto on unleaded as my daily driver for a couple of years with no issues. Because the "problem" is the valves wearing, you can check & record the valve clearances, drive it on unleaded, & re-check the clearances every 3 months. You only need to worry if the clearances are increasing. If they are, re-adjust & run on lead substitute, if not - happy days :D

Larkingabout

Postby Larkingabout » Thu May 19, 2016 7:04 am

I did some research into this area when I was running a Pinto. As far as I can remember only those heads stamped with a P or and R or PP or RR are the unleaded ones. Only was to make sure is get the head off and have a look. Alternatively run additive which is the easiest option.
James
The man in the Red Coat

steve m

Postby steve m » Thu May 19, 2016 7:12 am

" You only need to worry if the clearances are increasing. If they are, re-adjust & run on lead substitute, if not - happy days :D"

I am pretty sure the valve gaps decreases, as the valve eats away the metal in the head
the valve stem will get closer to the follower/cam,

if I am wrong, I applogise :o

steve
Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

andyf

Postby andyf » Thu May 19, 2016 7:56 am

Fury1630 wrote:I drove a 205 block "leaded only" Pinto on unleaded as my daily driver for a couple of years with no issues. Because the "problem" is the valves wearing, you can check & record the valve clearances, drive it on unleaded, & re-check the clearances every 3 months. You only need to worry if the clearances are increasing. If they are, re-adjust & run on lead substitute, if not - happy days :D

That's the advice that the AA give as well. They do recommend checking the compression as well.
MkII Marlin Roadster with Ford 2.0L Pinto and Type 9 gearbox. Going for the oily rag restoration look :-)

Kegco

Postby Kegco » Thu May 19, 2016 10:34 pm

Cheers guys
Thanks for info
I think I'm going to keep with the additive for now and see how it goes.
Had a mechanic had a quick look at the compression, they were all the about 180.
Just need to get carb's balanced and running a bit smoother as plugs 1 & 4 are ok 2 is a bit sooty 3 a bit oily
ST170 Tiger cat E1
2.1 Tiger cat E1
Mini Rod73 (track toy)

Return to “New Members - Say Hello Please”