Hi from sunny Reading

So you've just joined, why not say a few words to introduce yourself - a bit about you, your car - whatever!

Moderator: Contaminated

F27wes

Hi from sunny Reading

Postby F27wes » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:28 pm

Well actually it's hissing down with rain and blowing a gale but you've got to look on the bright side.
Just joined the forum as there aren't that many Formula27s (or F27 to some) around and as far as I know only one F27 Volumex - mine.
Basically it's Caterham Se7en clone and happened by accident.
I owned a Lancia Beta HPE Volumex which I bought as a resto project but tin-worm had the better of it. The engine is the Lampredi designed 2 ltr twin cam which the Fiat Lancia Group supercharged (calling it the Volumex) and used in the Beta based Type 037 rally cars. They wanted something closer to one of their road cars compared to the limited edition Stratos which a lot will remember as a world-beater. In order to homologate the Volumex engine they offered it in Beta Coupes and HPEs. They sold about 200 Coupes and 140 HPEs right-hand drive versions in the UK. My engine had only done 34k miles and a friend suggested I put it in a kit car. Great idea I thought, especially as I then found the F27 part-built and with a Beta engine.
Just a simple engine swap then?
Well no, not really. Five years and numerous technical challenges later it passed SVA and has now been on the road a couple of years.
It's not hugely powerful - originally quoted as 135BHP and 150lbs ft. - but a four branch, slightly bigger carb and skimmed flywheel punts its 650kg along at a fair pace.
I've used it for Driving- and Track-days, an Autosolo (FDMC) and but for the same sunny weather (not) a couple of weeks ago would have run it down the strip at Santa Pod on a RWYB day.
So looking forward to meeting other kit enthusiasts - maybe this Saturday if I can get the pass signed.
All the best and safe driving, Pewe. :ugeek:

Ben_Copeland

Re: Hi from sunny Reading

Postby Ben_Copeland » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:37 pm

Hello and Welcome, careful with the Caterham Clone bit James will get all excited ;)

Hope to see you around sometime
Ben

On the road, but never finished....

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:59 pm

welcome, a pic tells a thousand words - or so i've bene told, so don't be shy, show us your pride and joy ( the car ).....
do feel free to post up any runs/meets that you'd like some company on - the 'west' side is a little quiet and needs a couple of 'do'ers' to get the folks going - if you look at the members map there's a fair few on the west - but they're shy and a little quiet......

Nash

Postby Nash » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:30 am

Greetings Squire. Welcome to SKCC. As Mark said a piccie would be good. Raining in Reading? I can't believe it! I thought it was only ever sunny there?!?!?

Once again welcome.

...........Neil
Buckle Up - Adventure Calls

James

Postby James » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:31 pm

Welcome :)

Red27

Postby Red27 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:42 pm

Welcome Pete. I like anything with 27 in it, did I miss a trick there I wonder??? Glad to see your making good use of your wheels since the dreaded SVA... :)
Linda

"Gilles was the fastest driver in the history of motor racing" - Jody Scheckter

Nogoingback

Postby Nogoingback » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:05 pm

Welcome Mr 27

Nash

Postby Nash » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:08 pm

Is that appose to Ms27? 8-) ;)
Buckle Up - Adventure Calls

Red27