Moderator: Contaminated

nelmo

Re: SCC Kempton Solo 2019

Postby nelmo » Tue May 28, 2019 2:29 pm

Are you delaying because your daughter did a faster time than you? :D

David T

Postby David T » Tue May 28, 2019 8:13 pm

No, I'm just getting practice in this season, before she's old enough next season. :lol:

The truth is more like I've the attention span of a goldfish and got bored sitting at the laptop.

Anyway, onto the first test of the day. I wasn't sure if I'd need any gear changes. The cars in front weren't and I've a long 1st that is good for best part of 40mph. Turns out I'd needn't have worried about the gears, it was more the steering. To start with I'd tried to keep my hands on the wheel and use the quick rack to get me around. Sadly, some of the turns are just too tight for this and I started to experiment with crossing my hands as well as using some throttle to get the back end around. During the first group of three runs it was starting to come together. However, the 1st of the three was scored 'WT' (wrong test). Concentrating on the driving at the expense of anticipating what was ahead - I spun and missed the turn. You can go back if you are very quick, but I just carried on, not wanting to generate a red flag for the next car that would have already set off half a lap after me. General wisdom among the more seasoned competitiors is you need to be looking two or three cones ahead. It's not easy, there's lots going on with the turn or two that are in-progress.

Second and third run of the first test got scored and the times felt not too bad. Grin factor was high for sure.

I started off with my helmet and gloves on. Sun was not forecast to last, but it did and I was melting. After the first couple of runs I switched to baseball cap and shades. I looked a lot less serious, which fitted the casual tone of the event.

20190526_142445.jpg

Then back to the paddock to take my rotations of marshalling and free time. It is non-stop and time goes very quickly.

20190526_143433.jpg

David T

Postby David T » Tue May 28, 2019 8:26 pm

After a short break it was time to walk test 2. At first I thought what's the point as it's only got a few extra cones added to one end. Then somebody pointed out to me that some of the existing cones had been altered - at least which side you passed.

A similar result for test two: speed increasing, concentration levels high, but still some errors made. My first two runs were 'WT's. :evil: :oops: The pressure was on - I had to avoid being out for a duck and thankfully I made the last run a clean one.

Just as were starting the lunch break SteveRST turned up for a look. Like the others, we got some lunch from the BP that is just outside the venue. Steve joined to walk test 3 stayed a bit to watch the start of the driving. My group was not driving until last rotation, so sadly Steve missed the opportunity to see driving perfection in action. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well it was an improvement on test 2: started with a 'WT' and then got two clean quick runs. Feeling good.
Attachments
20190526_091515.jpg
20190526_091343.jpg
20190526_143419.jpg

David T

Postby David T » Tue May 28, 2019 8:40 pm

A bit like North Weald, the end of the day, test 4, is the complete course made up of all the sub-sections done in the previous tests. The two 'bus stops' were back in from test 1, but in the reverse direction.

There was one section, just before the finish, that ran along the building wall and my sense of car preservation would not let me go full bore for that part. Other than that it was a quick course. More straighter sections, escpecailly up the hill to the higher part of the car park. Most of the MX-5s were literally bouncing off the rev-limiter on that incline. For me, I could just about do it staying in first and avoiding the red line. I did discover that lifting quickly to part throttle from very high revs elicits some great cracks from the exhaust. So, of course did not do that for the other two runs. ;) :twisted: :D

By now I was really enjoying getting the car to dance around. Not sure what it looked like outside, but I was having a great time. Sadly, my 'WT' for the first run said otherwise. :( Second run was a belter. A clean run with a nice quick time. Now for the final run of the day, a chance to better my previous run. Alas, my exuberance saw me go the wrong side of one of the cones. Arrrrggghh. Frustrating, but I know now that I need to work on reading the circuit ahead. For the rest of that final run I felt I was handling the car well and learning more still about getting it to move around as I wanted - certatinly something not possible on the road or on the track.

scotty

Postby scotty » Tue May 28, 2019 8:51 pm

:D brilliant write up sounds great fun.
Luego with a mighty 104bhp!!!

David T

Postby David T » Tue May 28, 2019 8:52 pm

With the larger course on test 4 I think there were up to 3 cars running the course together, after starting with time intervals. They were certaintly firing the cars out the start, with an eye on the 17:00 finish. I overheard that ~160 runs were completed during the day. Pretty impressive.

After the last car finished, the competitors quickly helped move the cones and marshalling equipment to piles, ready for trailer to collect. After this we headed inside to the 'office' to await the scores and the presentation ceremony. During the day somebody did mention that I may get a trophy just for turning up. Turns out that what they meant, was that I was one of only three cars in Class F!

Well when they got to presenting Class F they didn't have three trophies, only two. Starting at second place - they called my name out. Wahooo! :D

IMG_5271.JPG

It weighs a ton, so must be good. :lol:
20190526_183144.jpg

David T

Postby David T » Tue May 28, 2019 9:06 pm

So, in conclusion, what a great day. It's not so different from the afternoon's at North Weald, just turned up to 11 (larger course, competive element and the organisation of a proper motorsport event).

Southern Car Club were very organised and welcoming. All the other 54 competitors were friendly and good company for the day. Everybody was in the right place, at the right time, which meant it all ran like clockwork. I will definitely be doing some more of these with one of the local clubs. Would be great to see a few of our members having a go too.

For those that may like the sound of this, here are some quick facts:

- Car must be MOT'd, taxed, insured and driven to the event.
- Noise limit is as per that for road use (I think).
- List 1a tyres only ( https://www.motorsportuk.org/News-Publi ... s/Yearbook page 198.)
- Besides the car's belts/harnesses, no safety equipment is required.
- Entry fee was just £48.
- You need to be a member of the organisaing club, one of the clubs invited or part of a championship that is assoicated with the event - I joined Farnbrough and District Motor Club (£20/year) https://fdmc.org.uk/everything-else/join Jeff has posted links to some closer for the Kent people.
- Minimum age 14 (those under 17 without a licence need to have an adult passenger with a licence whom has done a couple of solos.)

I will probably do the FDMC solo at Bordon on 14 July ( https://fdmc.org.uk/summersolo19 ) and then maybe this SCC one later in the year:
AutoSolo Flyer October 2019 (1).png

David T

Postby David T » Tue May 28, 2019 9:30 pm

Just signed up for Bordon on 14 July. :D

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Tue May 28, 2019 9:49 pm

nice write up D....reminds me that i need to check & post the dates for N/Weald for this year!! (think its 11th Oct )....

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Wed May 29, 2019 5:15 am

That sounds like a great day out and a trophy too!

Well done David :D :D

Return to “Motorsport and Car Shows”