Biggest trackday "moment"!!

Discuss or post news on Motorsport and Car Shows

Moderator: Contaminated

Nash

Re: Biggest trackday "moment"!!

Postby Nash » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:41 pm

Lee, how much does he want for the engine? Is it a K series or something else? Will it bolt to a type 9 box?

....... Neil
Buckle Up - Adventure Calls

Furyblade_Lee

Postby Furyblade_Lee » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:32 pm

Will ask. Probobly a couple of grand though. Freshly rebuilt, 210bhp 1800k-series. DVA head, I know that bit!! And that it cost him a fortune in parts...

Rob E

Postby Rob E » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:01 pm

Now thats what i call karting , that would get the blood running a bit quicker. :D
Absofu?@inglutely

Orange Peel

Nash

Postby Nash » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:32 pm

It got the blood running a bit BROWNER :shock: :oops:

............Neil
Buckle Up - Adventure Calls

Paul Ash

Postby Paul Ash » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:51 pm

Did the New Silverstone Stowe circuit with LOT in the summer. All was well for the first few laps. I had done all my usual checks before a trackday, Spanner round all suspension points, fluids, tires, checked brakes etc. I had fitted new pads front and rear (Mintex 1144's) a few weeks previous. All was good.
Anyway after the warm up laps on slicks started giving it the beans, about 6 laps in was heading down the back straight, got to 120ish MPH, went for the brakes coming up for the 90deg hard left at the end of the straight (Armco straight ahead), only for the pedal to hit the bulkhead. Major brown trouser moment, grabbing for the handbrake & swinging it into the corner going way to fast.
Managed to somehow get it round the corner running across the grass.
Passenger later said to me when we got back to the pits, " That was a bit exciting, can we do it again?"

Needless to say the fault was overheated discs & boiled brake fluid, causing a vapor lock in the system.

It was a good excuse to uprate the entire brake system, having told SWMBO that I didn't want to repeat the situation ever again.

So lesson learned, when you uprate the BHP to plus of 200HP & run slicks, Normal M16 calipers, solid discs with 1144 pads & Std fluid are not enough for Silverstone Stowe! Even if you have run this set up for many years & done plenty of trackdays.

Nogoingback

Postby Nogoingback » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:47 pm

Going to do track days next year in my sacrificial car hope it is only the car that gets burnt at the stake.
Wont be going as fast as those carts.

Return to “Motorsport and Car Shows”