Man Cave Mk2

Off Topic Forum for all non car comments and disussion

Moderator: Contaminated

Wingco

Re: Man Cave Mk2

Postby Wingco » Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:01 pm

When is the slatter coming back to finish Mike ?
I don't think you can ever have enough sockets, it surprising what you have around you to plug in, also I would put at least a couple usb style sockets in as well, just so handy to have.

Keep at it Mike and James your doing a great job
Mirror, Signal go faster pedal !!

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:12 am

Wingco wrote:When is the slatter coming back to finish Mike ?
I don't think you can ever have enough sockets, it surprising what you have around you to plug in, also I would put at least a couple usb style sockets in as well, just so handy to have.

Keep at it Mike and James your doing a great job

Thanks Colin. Hopefully the slater’s back in the next couple of weeks. Messaged him today not heard back as yet, he’s probably got his hands full holding onto a roof somewhere.

Used the usb/double sockets in Kent. Easy to get carried away with them but probably not this time. They work out at 5 times the price of a normal socket. They can be retro fitted at a later date if required.
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:37 pm

Finished the framing, other than a few adjustments for bathroom furniture fixings. Added another layer of insulation and the service voids to some of the external walls, awaiting the windows so we can finish them off once they are installed, hopefully Tuesday. Spent a day adding a few more site lights and clearing up a few odds and ends. Still had part of the temporary deck in place when we did the zinc roof so spent a bit of time cutting it out so it’s easier to route pipes etc.

Ordered a few bathroom bits. Difficult to keep to a modest budget but I guess I save on a plumber regardless! Shower bases turned up which enables us to mark out the waste pipe routes and then cut the floor up for them. Decided easy clean and low maintenance is the way forward so going for a hybrid wetroom/bathroom approach. Going to use some of the learning from a previous wetroom project completed in 2016 which has stood the test of time. Cement board, tanking, clutter free hidden pipework is the order of the day, so hidden cistern, back to the wall bog, wall mounted taps his and her countertop sinks have been ordered. Travertine for the floor and shower area also ordered.

Going safe with colours mostly white and an oatmeal wall colour to compliment the travertine.

Happened upon a chair for the man cave/snug/spare bedroom, for that gentleman’s club look :lol: Couldn’t resist and now bought after a bit of haggling.
Attachments
IMG_6484.jpeg
IMG_5341.jpeg
IMG_5341.jpeg (8.26 KiB) Viewed 474 times
IMG_5340.jpeg
IMG_5339.jpeg
IMG_5338.jpeg
IMG_5337.jpeg
IMG_5336.jpeg
IMG_6488.jpeg
IMG_5321.jpeg
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:20 am

Nice chair, I can see you relaxing in that 8-)

Wingco

Postby Wingco » Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:25 pm

Love the colour scheme Mick, nice and clean with chrome fittings.
Hope that shower tray is large ? I do hate a small pokey shower that you cant turn around in.
I also love the chair, a proper gentlemen's chair you will look good in that mate.
Mirror, Signal go faster pedal !!

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:14 pm

A week spent mostly cutting up the new floor for shower and sink drains. We reconfigured the bathrooms, with one main bathroom and two en-suite, instead of three en-suite. We moved some doorways around which meant the main drain positions weren’t optimum, hence a bit more cutting than first planned. All cut now awaiting shower base installation then we can back fill.

Windows for the extension arrived Wednesday, so put them in the relevant holes. One left to do once we get a new cill for it. My bad.. cut and paste when ordering so ended up with the wrong width cill. Windows are nice enough, not the cheapest but not the dearest. Acoustic/laminate glass adding to the cost.

Been looking around for bathroom bits, wanted a double sink vanity unit but rip off money for chipboard crap. Decided to butcher a couple of kitchen units so bought a few bits from B&Q to massacre. Should be £250 all in instead of £500-£700. Can always burn it to keep warm if it looks like a dogs dinner.

Caught up with the slater this week. It’s looking like he won’t be back with us until April. This means we are not completely water tight yet with a few leaks in the extension, so we can’t progress too far with moisture sensitive materials like plasterboard. We’ve probably got plenty to keep us busy so it’s no real hardship. He’s the best around and doing a cracking job so he’s worth waiting for.
Attachments
IMG_6496.jpeg
IMG_6498.jpeg
IMG_6510.jpeg
IMG_6506.jpeg

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:05 pm

Started the week off badly with a visit to IKEA :lol: The meatballs are one of those things that you look forward to then afterwards wonder why you bothered eating that dogfood. Finished the insulation and service voids in the external walls. Putting in the shower cubicles using cement board. Hate the stuff, heavy and hard to cut. Aqua panel is lighter though not as robust and more expensive. Cement board is tricky and messy to cut, creating lots of dust. You can buy an expensive circular saw blades but wouldn’t recommend it as it knackers the saw. From experience best bet are some diamond discs in a grinder then cut outside. Bought some abracs diamond blades cheap from toolstation at £4.48 for two. Bought eight, thinking they won’t last and did all the cuts with one disc, a result in my book. It’s also best to keep the speed down on the grinder if you can, to minimise dust clouds. I used my battery Dewalt grinder which worked a treat.

The next jobs are to waterproof the joints etc, apply a waterproof membrane and install the shower trays. I hate damp and rotten bathrooms so a belt and braces approach is going on. I use classi seal plus for the shower trays and everbuild aquaseal products for the waterproofing.

Made up after the meatball crap by sneaking in a bit of a Friday treat with the best fish and chips ever at Eyemouth.
Attachments
IMG_5376.jpeg
IMG_5373.jpeg
IMG_5374.jpeg
IMG_5375.jpeg

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:06 pm

Almost there with the shower cubicles in the bathrooms. Turned into a mission as expected with a warped shower tray. The replacement was slightly wider which meant attacking the cement board with an angle grinder. Currently got two left to plumb in then we can repair the floors. Hopefully get it done tomorrow then chill on Sunday. The correct size cill turned up for the final window in the extension so we fitted it today, which was much more enjoyable and easier to do than the shower bases.
Attachments
IMG_6557.jpeg
IMG_6563.jpeg
IMG_6562.jpeg
IMG_6559.jpeg

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:08 pm

Slow week, not a great deal done. Bathroom floors repaired, external wall insulation finished. Messed about with a few odd jobs, including making a sink vanity unit out of a couple of kitchen flat packs. Bought a new Makita biscuit jointer to replace a Clarke one, which was ok, though a bit clunky and fiddly to adjust. Sold the old one within a couple of hours on f/b. A bit of shopping done for plumbing stuff which is next on the list. Caught up with the slater who’s hoping to be back second/third week of April which will be good. We can’t do much more other than a bit of plumbing and wiring until he gets back and the place is 100% watertight.
Attachments
IMG_5405.jpeg
IMG_6593.jpeg
IMG_6587.jpeg

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:45 pm

I hope he gets the roof finished soon!

Return to “General Discussion - Non Car Related”