the art of writing adverts

Off Topic Forum for all non car comments and disussion

Moderator: Contaminated

greenwoo
Site Admin

the art of writing adverts

Postby greenwoo » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:28 am

ah, not the visual kind - although I do sometimes wonder what TV commercial writers 'are on'....nope, the ebay/gumtree type.

Given that 99.9% of phones can take pictures and given that 72% of folks regularly take selfies ( ok that number may be made up ) - i wonder what the heck they take selfies of? The tree behind them, the sky? How come it seems to some to be beyond their capability to take a photo of something that isn't even breathing much less moving?

And then there's the description - well sometimes. More and more it seems that there's 1 line.
'Well used saucepan, check photos, cash on collection. CASH on collection. Cash on collection.'

Of course I use that merely as an example. And the photos, well i'd check if indeed there was more than 2, and 1 wasn't showing the object at about 200ft away....and the other was in focus.

And then the killer, the bit that I just can't wrap my head around. Location....
London.
London, nothing more just that tiny word to describe a rather sprawling place. Not a postcode, nor a general hint as to whether they're north, south, east , west....

I've become less and less of a fan of 'the bay' over the years, mostly buying from traders these days, but it still makes me wonder how the hell some of these people expect to sell their gear for any amount of money.

and as i'm a curious sod - what's with the crazy high buy it now prices? is there some form of a scam, maybe to somehow rip off the buyer or ebay themselves?
I'm looking for some weight plates, there's a guy selling some that are worth maybe £200 marked at £1100 - with a CASH ON COLLECTION ONLY.....if you know why, or can guess why they do it, intrigued to hear.

b33fy

Re: the art of writing adverts

Postby b33fy » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:59 pm

Lots of victims, cash means no comeback from PayPal/eBay.

Had an eye on a camera, “new” £1700, London, cash only. I’m on my way.. :roll:
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

Rexholme

Postby Rexholme » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:41 am

greenwoo wrote:I'm looking for some weight plates...

Suns out, Guns out ;) 8-) Have you been watching that Volley Ball scene from Top Gun again?

Tried Face-ache market place? A couple of weeks back, a gym was selling some old gear that looked in decent, used condition; it was only about an hour or so away from you chap.

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:28 pm

I didnt know that faceache had a market place, thx for the tip.....will take a gander. and as for Top Gun.....nah, never seen it.

Rexholme

Postby Rexholme » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:47 pm

:o

Return to “General Discussion - Non Car Related”