Trial and error - and where's Fred?

Off Topic Forum for all non car comments and disussion

Moderator: Contaminated

greenwoo
Site Admin

Trial and error - and where's Fred?

Postby greenwoo » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:08 am

Bloody hell....how come some things in life don't come down to a simple A or B, (or preferably just an 'A')?

Struggling with condensation in an outbuilding that has a corrugated metal roof.
I must have read about 50 pages of 'tips'.....
vapor barrier, insulate / don't insulate there, insulate 'here', put in a false ceiling, make sure the concrete floor is sealed/DPM etc etc.

Course there's no definitive answer, save pulling the tin roof off and starting again ( not gonna happen).
Along the way the belt and braces brigade suggest all 13 steps, the bodgers suggest a wing and a prayer - 'well it's worked for me, mine hasn't dripped in 10 years since i did 'x', but they again, since doing 'x' i can't see the inside of the roof so maybe the timbers are rotting'.

Google can be great, but where oh where is 'Fred'.
Fred was the guy at the end of the Bar, he was Billy Bobs cousin, he was the bloke with a weather lined craggy face, he was the guy who through the course of an evening fielded various questions in return for ' A pint will do fine thanks'. 'Fred' didn't have 13 ways of doing something, there was just 'Fred's ' way.....
Fred would have encountered that 'problem' somewhere in the past and would spew forth his know how....

Whereas with google. 90% of the tips/advice is given ( seemingly ) by folks who have read the question, and bloody google the answer themselves - and regurgitated their 3rd/4th hand 'knowledge'.

Tony C

Re: Trial and error - and where's Fred?

Postby Tony C » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:45 pm

I'm not Fred, but when I was considering doing something similar to my corrugated asbestos roof garage Celotex fitted to the rafters seemed to be the answer.......but never got round to it. I'd think it would work, but from memory you need some airflow between the Celotex and the roof material. One to tackle once the fuel tank is back in the Tiger :D
Tiger Cat E1 - 2008-2009
Tiger R6 - 2009-2014
Austin Healey Sprite - 2014-2018
Fisher Fury Le Mans - 2018-2019

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:38 am

chrs T, yeah, rigid insulation would be the 'go to' but frigging expensive. Think there's 2 schools of thought....
either insulate tight against a roof, which with rigid board/corrugated cant be done due to the corrugations, or lay the celotex lower and create a complete vapor break.

Did wonder whether making a 'former' that's say the width of the gap between rafters and maybe 3ft long with raised sides/ends, so that it would sit 25/50mm below the low points, and then squirt in expanding foam.
Idea being that its giving just enough insulation between the outside temp of the metal and the inside temp, especially once the suspended ceiling is fitted and has a roll of 'itchy' spread over it.

that plus maybe an extractor for ventilation might do the trick.....

Rob E

Postby Rob E » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:44 pm

Absofu?@inglutely

Orange Peel

Return to “General Discussion - Non Car Related”