Old git moaning

Off Topic Forum for all non car comments and disussion

Moderator: Contaminated

nelmo

Old git moaning

Postby nelmo » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:50 pm

Jees, as I get older, I get to be a right grumpy old git...

Moan #1: if I hear ONE more goddamn sermon about how we must do 'something' to stop the imminent death of our planet, I'm going to fecking scream :twisted: :cry: :shock: :o . David Attenborough has been ruining nature documentaries for a couple of years like this, now Doctor Who has got in on the act. It wouldn't be too bad if someone could explain what that 'something' is...(and no, I 'aint going to take the frigging bus!!).

Moan #2: why do these car building/restoration programs have to do it to a deadline? I'm guessing it's just done to create drama but it's damn annoying. Normally, it was just the US shows which I couldn't watch for other reasons (can't stand loud Americans) but now this new 'Speedshop' program, which had potential, has the 'lads' working all-nighters to get the job done, FFS. Just start earlier, you tw*$ts... :evil:

OK, I feel better now...sorry...

DJ.

Re: Old git moaning

Postby DJ. » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:53 pm

Fair points, well made :)

The doom mongering nature shows have been going on a long time though. I gave up watching "Survival" twenty years ago for that reason.

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:55 pm

We’ll build houses on stilts and drive speedboats. We can watch resto programmes with Mike Brewer swimming around looking for an obscure part for a mercury outboard in a bid to get it finished before the next tsunami.

As for doom mongering.. no need, it’ll be sorted soon when the next ice age comes.

:lol: :D
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:21 pm

@1/ would be handy if the powers that be that bang on about recycling sorted out their act. Buggering about washing food containers when we're on a cesspit and not mains drains is a PITA....be also nice to know what ratio of recycled stuff actually does get reprocessed and not just lumped into landfill. I guess the number might be too low to be inspiring.

2/ ah, the might 'all nighter'...yep, for once i'd like to see Tim & Fuzz chilling and having a beer the night before big reveal. All that rushing is about as cringe worthy as Brewer banging on about a 'profit' when there's no accounting for workshop costs or time.

Maybe we ought to drop the producers a note telling them to start a week earlier...wonder what the response will be?

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:41 pm

Sod it, had 5 mins over a coffee, so dropped Car SOS a note to ask 'why'......let's see if it gets a response.

Weathers

Postby Weathers » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:11 pm

greenwoo wrote:@1/ would be handy if the powers that be that bang on about recycling sorted out their act. Buggering about washing food containers when we're on a cesspit and not mains drains is a PITA....be also nice to know what ratio of recycled stuff actually does get reprocessed and not just lumped into landfill. I guess the number might be too low to be inspiring.
?

There's a program called "Dirty Business" on Sky Atlantic that covers recycling and what actually happens and where it all goes. Really interesting to see how the system has been manipulated and the subsidies have been totally taken advantage of by large businesses. An interesting watch if anyone has half an hour or so. Chelmsford Council doesn't exactly come up smelling of roses either.

The whole global warming/cooling in an interesting debate. I did a fair bit of research into it at Uni and in the 1970's the government and the scientists that advised them ploughed loads of money into research and were convinced that the next ice age was imminent..... and 40 years on were now ploughing money into research into global warming...…. Scientists have to earn a living don't they? :lol: :lol: :lol:

nelmo

Postby nelmo » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:40 pm

greenwoo wrote:@1/ would be handy if the powers that be that bang on about recycling sorted out their act. Buggering about washing food containers when we're on a cesspit and not mains drains is a PITA....be also nice to know what ratio of recycled stuff actually does get reprocessed and not just lumped into landfill. I guess the number might be too low to be inspiring.

I was at dinner with a guy who worked in a paper recycling plant about 10 years ago and he said they were flooded with paper and couldn't process it all - and that was back then, when recycling wasn't as big a thing...

nelmo

Postby nelmo » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:42 pm

greenwoo wrote:Sod it, had 5 mins over a coffee, so dropped Car SOS a note to ask 'why'......let's see if it gets a response.

:D I bet they don't have any sort of deadline - they just pretend and actually take as long as they need...strange that they NEVER miss the deadline, which is nothing like a real job ;).

One time, I want them to pull back the sheet and there's a pile of bits... :D :lol:

Tony C

Postby Tony C » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:30 pm

I'm with you on the car restorations, "Ed's been working on it for two weeks and we've made £300....." :lol:
As for global warming and the environment I'm with David Attenborough all day long. The state of the planet is a disgrace, we all need to do our bit.
Tiger Cat E1 - 2008-2009
Tiger R6 - 2009-2014
Austin Healey Sprite - 2014-2018
Fisher Fury Le Mans - 2018-2019

nelmo

Postby nelmo » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:47 pm

Tony C wrote:As for global warming and the environment I'm with David Attenborough all day long. The state of the planet is a disgrace, we all need to do our bit.

So you'll be selling the Fury then, yeah? :twisted: :D

Actually, 'scrapping' not 'selling' because it's no point just giving it to someone else to keep polluting with it.

Return to “General Discussion - Non Car Related”