Top Tip - re all things metal

Off Topic Forum for all non car comments and disussion

Moderator: Contaminated

greenwoo
Site Admin

Top Tip - re all things metal

Postby greenwoo » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:12 pm

well maybe not 'all' things....

Its worth finding and trying to support your local 'Forge'.
A few years back I needed a couple of chunks of metal and found out that there's a forge nearby....

The guy running it is a top guy, young but so helpful. Since that 1st encounter he's made various bits n pieces that are really nothing to do with normal forge work.
custom shelf unit for the kitchen, chiminea, over size tent pegs...and more.
The latest was last week when he knocked up a weight tree for my gym, and when i picked it up - kindly cut a thick bracket in half and drilled new fixings in each.

We know each other well enough for a decent chat, and he explained that in reality the big projects, fencing, gates etc are great - but the lifecycle to get the reward is long. Which is why he's more than happy to fit in odds n sods for me around that; quick turn around and a few quid in his pocket.

So if ever you'#re mulling over where to get some metal, how to cut/drill something you already have, who to go to get 'x' made....its worth digging around and finding your local blacksmith.
I can't recall the 1st item that he made, but for sure i never envisaged having his number in my phone for repeat bits n bobs!

DJ.

Re: Top Tip - re all things metal

Postby DJ. » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:24 pm

Well done for helping keep him in business, it's not easy to survive as a proper blacksmith.

It's quite amazing what you can make just using a forge, anvil and some hand tools :)

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:07 pm

dam, if you were nearer Duncan i could pester the hell out of you for all
those bits :lol:

Wingco

Postby Wingco » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:41 pm

Great idea Mark, is here near you? I need to get some short lengths of say 1x1 to raise the passenger seat a bit, i would also need 2 holes drilled in it, happy to support any local business tbh
Mirror, Signal go faster pedal !!

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:38 am

Colin, he's at Eynsford - Austin Lodge, lane that goes past the Station toward the old gold club.

Weathers

Postby Weathers » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:23 am

I try to support any local craftsmen where I can even if it means it’s a bit pricier. A lot of these skills are dying out which is such a shame. And if he’s a young lad trying to carry on in a traditional trade then good luck to him. I need some gates making at some point as the house is being redeveloped. Worth baring this sort of set up in mind then.

So we’ll expect to see a beautifully crafted yet slightly heavy rear spoiler this year then Mark?

Wingco

Postby Wingco » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:42 am

Colin, he's at Eynsford - Austin Lodge, lane that goes past the Station toward the old gold club.

Thanks Mark
Mirror, Signal go faster pedal !!

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:40 pm

So we’ll expect to see a beautifully crafted yet slightly heavy rear spoiler this year then Mark?

possibly not, but he has given me some weights to hide in certain cars on the
road trip :lol:

Return to “General Discussion - Non Car Related”