Radio Radio

Off Topic Forum for all non car comments and disussion

Moderator: Contaminated

greenwoo
Site Admin

Radio Radio

Postby greenwoo » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:36 am

sorry, no reason for the 'double Radio' in the title apart from Elvis Costellos song coming to mind when i typed the first word!

I know we're across different areas & ages groups, but what the heck has happened to the airwaves of late?
It used to be poss to listen to 1 radio station pretty much all day without needing to retune due to a crap/annoying DJ. Nowadays seems nigh on impossible to get more than 1 show out of a station before a 'retune', and some days hard to find anything 'listenable'.

could live with R2 (apart from lunchtime when that muppet Vine is on)....but for some reason they've employed a patronizing bird on the drive home show, Cox.
a number have employed ex-singers to host, on what basis i have no idea, a bit like chucking Hamilton out of his car and popping in the bloke that designed it.
others have decided that we need to hear a comedian spin the decks ( well prob nod to someone else to push a button)....nice, so that's Absolute buggered Sat/Sun mornings.

The Mrs ( bless) has decided that Magic should be on in the back porch to keep the dogs company when we pop out. Perfect for the dogs as it sends them to sleep, not so good when driving!

Maybe digital has better offerings??

SteveRST

Re: Radio Radio

Postby SteveRST » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:39 pm

I'm not really a fan of radio - find the 'chat' and adverts incredibly annoying. I'd rather not hear the DJ speak other than to introduce the next track. When I'm in the car it is either Spotify or random tracks from a big collection on a USB stick. When I'm in the house or garage, I'll listen to Spotify (either my own 'likes' playlist or another suggested playlist for whatever genre/artist I'm feeling like at the time).

We listen to the radio all day at work in the office though (via the web). Switching each day between "The Hits Radio" and Magic and Smooth Radio and Radio 1 and Absolute.
Absolute is by far my favourite.
Westfield Zetec turbo & Westfield Megabusa turbo

nelmo

Postby nelmo » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:46 pm

Radio 2 is ok and doesn't have any adverts which is why I listen to it a lot (hate radio adverts- at least TV ones are sometimes funny).

Of the normal channels, Virgin is actually quite good now, since Chris Evans got it back...

On DAB, I'm going to have to admit to a liking for CountryHits radio :oops: - I'm not a great fan of old-fashioned country (Hank Williams etc) but modern stuff is pretty good - have a listen to Thomas Rhett - some great stuff there...(maybe just me ;) ).

While I was building my car, Absolute80s on DAB was always on in the background - they only have about 20 songs in their entire playlist but they're 20 damn good songs... :D

Nash

Postby Nash » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:06 am

Agree radio 2 is lacking these days and I too can't stand Vine.

I'm now into podcasts and audio books when driving or commuting.

It's the future
Buckle Up - Adventure Calls

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:59 am

seems that you guys have similar issues finding a station on 'normal' radio waves without using DAB/Internet.

Ironically, music entertainment in the 'kit' is far easier, mp3 player with 8000 tunes and 2 specific driving playlists = happy days. Pity neither of the tintops have Aux inputs!

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:15 am

Well equipped cars have all options covered, Internet, streaming, Airplay, Spotify etc, minimum DAB. Bit more limited in the Volvo than the Merc, though can usually find some noise to listen to other than the repetitive strains of Heart FM. I must admit I’ve enjoyed a few podcasts recently from the BBC site.
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

Wingco

Postby Wingco » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:06 pm

Unfortunately there's not a great deal of choice on normal radio, the quality I find is poor both in substance and service. But DAB or Internet radio I find what I want really on there, I do listen to Radio 2 most of the day, I find some of the items Vine gets involved with are quit interesting. If In in the garage the planet rock through my phone, though a smart speaker, or Alexa out on the garage and get what every you want really. I do like some of the Absolute radio station but again I hate the adverts.
Mirror, Signal go faster pedal !!

Weathers

Postby Weathers » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:03 am

I like the Absolute offerings by decade. 90’s is the current favourite but they do have a limited repertoire. But harmless.

I used to listen to R1 but it’s the sloppy speak I have an issue with. Innit. Like every second bloody word. And my Pacific currant irritation. The use of an Ocean when you mean S P E C I F I C. Yes specific. Not Pacific. You I’ll educated buffoon.

You are not from someone American ghetto. You are not from the “mean streets”. You're from Berkshire you daft dogs d*ck. Makes me think of the East side vs West side battle that Mr G so beautifully highlighted a good few years back!!

Return to “General Discussion - Non Car Related”