Electric Roller Garage door

Off Topic Forum for all non car comments and disussion

Moderator: Contaminated

leegav

Electric Roller Garage door

Postby leegav » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:34 am

Anyone use an electric roller garage door?

Im looking at Seceuroglide LT but wondered if anyone has used (with success) something a little cheaper. Ive seen some on the market for almost half there price but skeptical on reliability.
Say NO to Pheasants !!! Body count = 3
Say NO to Blackbirds !!! Body count = 1
Say NO to Marmots !!! Body count = 1
Say NO to Squirrels!!! Body count = 1

Richard

Re: Electric Roller Garage door

Postby Richard » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:28 am

Yes. I fitted one to my last house's double garage and it was the best thing I did. I cannot remember the make I used but the door slats were the insulated type and the channels they ran in were 'brush' lined and it made the garage much warmer. It replaced a very heavy wooden up and over door with a very dangerous spring mechanism to remove - take real care if that is your current door.

My son has just fitted two x single roller doors too of the same construction.

Fitting is easy but needs two people to fit roller - not heavy but awkward. Should be able to do in (just) less than a day. We did his two doors in a day.

We both got ours off the Internet.

Make sure you have the head height before ordering.

Look for quality especially the insulated slats although they all say they are the best.
Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control, Quaife LSD. Now with big brother 1973 TR6 being totally body-off restored.

SteveRST

Postby SteveRST » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:45 am

Are these roller doors very secure? I imagine they could be actually as I'd guess the door rollers are secured in a metal channel down each side of the garage?

I know a lot of garage break-ins involve levering up one corner of the base of door and bending it out of the way to gain access.
Westfield Zetec turbo & Westfield Megabusa turbo

leegav

Postby leegav » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:38 pm

are the ones you got reliable Rich?

steve some of the videos show that security is pretty good. and has to be much safer than the 3mm strip of tin that locks in place currently with my up and over. its actually ridiculous how bad the security is even though the current door looks ok from the outside.
they would struggle to lift a corner if you fit the door behind the wall rather than infront or in between.

Kegco

Postby Kegco » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:29 pm

I’ve got electric roller shutter door,
On my garage. Fitted on my Own wasn’t too bad fit. I bought off eBay from a company, had a few issues I ordered mahogany colour, and when they turned up they were white with a mahogany wrap on them, so when you the door came down you saw white stripes across the door slates until they locked down then it looked ok. I complained but they said because it was film/wrap it could go right into the joint, so I bought some mahogany coloured paint and sprayed all the white bits on the outside, the inside is white.
The only other problem was my one didn’t have a sensor beam to stop the door from closing if anything in the way of the door, a couple of times something has fallen and ended up under and my door keeps unrolling it’s self until it reaches preset setting, which means it breaks the locking clamp between the drum and the slat. I moaned about that and they said you should watch the door come down.
My neighbour used crocodile garage doors which are alright, they’ve got a pressure sensor on the bottom of the door
And also my slates are insulated which helps
Hope this helped
ST170 Tiger cat E1
2.1 Tiger cat E1
Mini Rod73 (track toy)

Matth93

Postby Matth93 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:49 pm

I’ve got a roller door too it did have the sensitive edge on it but that gave up and I also had to replace the motor but my door is very big (they said it was getting near the limit for the motor but it lasted about 8 years so not too bad) it has some bolts at the top which lock in to some fingers so you can’t lift it without turning the motor.

leegav

Postby leegav » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:08 am

Thanks guys for replying. This is really helpful

Rob E

Postby Rob E » Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:06 pm

I gave 2 to Tony , similar sort of thing, think they’re secure as they have a mechanism to stop them being lifted without the motor running plus some come with tamper alarms
Absofu?@inglutely

Orange Peel

Richard

Postby Richard » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:29 pm

Checked with my son and his are Seceuroglide ones. They were just about the cheapest he could find on the internet for the spec and he thought a good price. I seem to remember about £1,800 for two single ones with several extras. (His double garage has two single doors.)

Sounds the same make for me I think but it was some 10 years ago.

I would say they are pretty secure as one cannot lift a corner as it has to roll up. Drilling through the metal slats does nothing for a thief unless one cuts a door size hole to get in. Bash it in with a car? Possibly but if there is a car inside that will stop it.

As I said above, it really makes a difference and I was impressed.
Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control, Quaife LSD. Now with big brother 1973 TR6 being totally body-off restored.

Return to “General Discussion - Non Car Related”