Coronavirus run outs

Off Topic Forum for all non car comments and disussion

Moderator: Contaminated

b33fy

Re: Coronavirus run outs

Postby b33fy » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:48 pm

Thanks all, appreciated.

@Phil, sadly it seems to be bringing out the bad as well as the good in human nature, I’ve a new found respect for some that have shown great strengths in what is a difficult situation. There are other self centred bum holes who I wouldn’t pee on if they were on fire, thankfully they are few and far between.

@Duncan, hope it wasn’t too serious, and all is ok now. I’m borderline on the self isolating thing, (BMI) might have to think about it, if we are both likely to come into contact with known cases.
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

leegav

Postby leegav » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:22 pm

nelmo wrote:Hmm, is it just me or does he sound like a bit of a drama queen? Did anyone check if he actually is a doctor? There have been 250 odd deaths in the WHOLE country, so this guy can only have seen a few at most but hes talking like it's a war zone.

He's also saying things that don't match with what I've read from the government - people who recover do recover fully, I've not seen any official report that people are surviving with damaged lungs? I've seen that on FB which is a hotbed of nonsense, hence my suspicion of this guy.

Numbers creeping up :shock: :shock:
Say NO to Pheasants !!! Body count = 3
Say NO to Blackbirds !!! Body count = 1
Say NO to Marmots !!! Body count = 1
Say NO to Squirrels!!! Body count = 1

nelmo

Postby nelmo » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:32 pm

This is from Wikipedia (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza), pre-coronavirus:

Influenza spreads around the world in yearly outbreaks, resulting in about three to five million cases of severe illness and about 290,000 to 650,000 deaths

So far, we're at 100,000 deaths after 3 months, sadly no different to other years.

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:41 am

nelmo wrote:This is from Wikipedia (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza), pre-coronavirus:

Influenza spreads around the world in yearly outbreaks, resulting in about three to five million cases of severe illness and about 290,000 to 650,000 deaths

So far, we're at 100,000 deaths after 3 months, sadly no different to other years.

You are comparing seasonal flu numbers with covid numbers. The seasonal flu deaths haven’t suddenly disappeared because covid is here, they are in addition.

From your previous post about “Jack” I appreciate how important reliable information is to you. Wikipedia is not recognised as a valid and reliable source of info as pretty much anyone can edit it. Academic institutions would fail dissertations if Wikipedia was referenced. Your best bet is to read some proper research based papers from known experts in the field.
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

nelmo

Postby nelmo » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:24 pm

Fair point - WHO acceptable (note, same figures as Wikipedia)?

https://www.who.int/news-room/detail/14 ... -each-year

Covid is just another strain of flu - next year, these influenza stats will include Covid. People dying from Covid now would probably just have died from one of the other flu strains - however, I can't find any evidence that people are still dying from 'normal' flu, so maybe it is extra? I'd be surprised if that was true - our sensation-loving media wouldn't have missed out on telling us that.

My point is this - we are not facing some new super-bug, just a variant on what has been killing vulnerable people for years (even with a vaccine). The financial impact of the lockdown is going to far outweigh the life-saving benefits.

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:25 pm

This new virus is killing young people with no medical conditions. It isn't just like flu, I've had flu three times, it was horrible but I never had to seek medical attention.

It is also killing NHS staff :( . I don't remember a time where doctors and nurses in this country were frightened to catch a potentially fatal illness during their work, and also frightened to pass it on to their families.

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:53 pm

Fair point - WHO acceptable (note, same figures as Wikipedia)?

Good that you're now validating data using reliable sources.

https://www.who.int/news-room/detail/14 ... -each-year

Covid is just another strain of flu - it’s not ‘just another’ it has a number of different characteristics look it up, the information is out there.

next year, these influenza stats will include Covid. At some point yes they may well be included as have previous strains once it becomes more manageable through vaccines, herd immunity etc.

People dying from Covid now would probably just have died from one of the other flu strains untrue, see second point

however, I can't find any evidence that people are still dying from 'normal' flu, so maybe it is extra? Its seasonal flu, approx October-April/May, the information is in the public domain on the department of health website. 2019-20 figures are yet to be released, it takes months to collate the data and form into a report.

I'd be surprised if that was true - our sensation-loving media wouldn't have missed out on telling us that.Year in year out expected deaths from seasonal flu isn’t headline news, sadly it’s a given. What you are more likely to see are reports on winter bed pressures, waiting times and other related issues, unless numbers are excessive, news is thin on the ground or theres a pandemic or two..

My point is this - we are not facing some new super-bug, just a variant on what has been killing vulnerable people for years (even with a vaccine). The financial impact of the lockdown is going to far outweigh the life-saving benefits.[/quote]

You need to check the validity of the statements you are making, there is a lot of misinformation out there, don’t let it form the basis of your views and not be prepared to shift with new and factual information. Unfortunately I don’t think I am the person to assist you in this as I have no personal connection with you, therefore you are very unlikely to value any of my contributions and shift your thinking.

As for your last statement, I should question your social and moral compass around putting a value on life as I’m sure others will.... sadly your compass is more likely to be reset as and when you are affected personally by this disease.

nelmo

Postby nelmo » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:29 am

Yeah, my wife keeps saying the same - I wish I could keep my opinions to myself :oops:

Tony B
Site Admin

Postby Tony B » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:37 am

Phew, that all ended ok then ...... ;)

danno

Postby danno » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:25 am

So back on topic and a few weeks later....

When do we all think we'll be allowed to go "out for a drive"?

I'm desperate to get out, as I'm sure you all are too...

Return to “General Discussion - Non Car Related”