Man Cave Mk2

Off Topic Forum for all non car comments and disussion

Moderator: Contaminated

b33fy

Re: Man Cave Mk2

Postby b33fy » Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:39 pm

Thanks Duncan, the angles are a ball ache. We’ve finished the sarking, stripped more of the roof and made a start on the deck for the zinc roof. They are coming on the 15th to install it so have a bit of time to get it right. The slaters also been back for a couple of days working away. James and I cut some more bullets and sorted more slate for him. Unfortunately he is now going to another job for a while then returning to finish our roof. James and I will hopefully get it watertight and install the roofing felt then we can start on the inside.

Got a company lined up to screed the floor. For the cost it’s not worth the hassle of doing it ourselves and they guarantee a tolerance of +/- 5mm or they do it again. In reality they are probably +/- 3mm which is ideal. Also lining up a plasterer/renderer, hoping he’s reasonable price wise, otherwise we’ll be taping and jointing ourselves.
Attachments
IMG_5212.jpeg
IMG_5213.jpeg
IMG_6155.jpeg
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:56 pm

It's going to be great when finished :D

Wingco

Postby Wingco » Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:47 pm

That's going to be an amazing roof when that is finished Mike.
Mirror, Signal go faster pedal !!

bigstuff

Postby bigstuff » Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:47 pm

Looking good Mike
One is one too many and one too many is never enough.

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:11 pm

Thanks all, much appreciated. More of the same this week. Joists done and temporary deck installed. Old roofs stripped and sarking repaired. Removed an old skylight and made good. De-nailed the roof and permavent added. Doesn’t sound like a lot of work, though it has been a bit of a slog since xmas.

Thankfully we’ve the new deck to put down over the weekend then we’re ready for the zinc roofers. In other news Stewart the Slater has gone onto another job that’s been delayed for various reasons. Hopefully he’ll be back to complete our roof in a month or so. Though once the zinc roof is installed next week, we should be pretty much weatherproof, and can get on with the inside, at least while the weather is cold.
Attachments
IMG_6175.jpeg
IMG_6187.jpeg
IMG_5219.jpeg
IMG_5221.jpeg
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:06 pm

Great work, not just the roofing, you're keeping this forum alive Mike :mrgreen:

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:40 pm

DJ. wrote:Great work, not just the roofing, you're keeping this forum alive Mike :mrgreen:

:lol: Yeh, sorry I’m not building another car, Not sure if there’s anyone out there, though at least there’s no armchair experts or health and safety anoraks giving me a hard time here. :lol:

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:19 pm

There's always someone who'll say ¨You don't want to do it like that, you want to do it like this¨ just like Harry Enfield.

You are like Tony H, he tried to retire and sort of missed and ended up working more than before. Tony B seems to have taken up green house building since retiring too! Makes me feel lazy, but in the words of my father.....now I'm retired, I'm so busy, I don't know how I had time to work :mrgreen:

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:59 am

I’d just get bored Duncan and end up ruminating about the meaning of life, waiting for God and a lack of purpose. :lol:

I’m not sure I was ready for retirement tbh, though I knew I couldn’t do another day in the NHS. This project has been extremely challenging and a steep learning curve and sort of bridges the gap between employment and a productive hobby. As a bonus, we hopefully get to enjoy it at the end.

A brief though pleasing update on the roof. James and I had been working flat out since xmas to get the roof ready for the zinc roofers and also prepare the adjoining roofs for the slater. In a nutshell we got there on Sunday with the deck all done and the surrounding roofs watertight with Permavent. The zinc boys turned up Monday and were done by close of day Tuesday. James and I are pretty chuffed to see the fruits of our efforts over the last couple of weeks. This also means we are almost weathertight which is a great milestone to achieve.

We had a couple of lazy days just trying to keep warm and we are now sorting the wall insulation and covering the windows with shuttering ply for now. The next target is to get the floor screeded so we’ve a bit of knocking through to do before this can be done.
Attachments
IMG_5228.jpeg
IMG_5224.jpeg
IMG_5227.jpeg

Wingco

Postby Wingco » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:07 pm

Looks great Mike. I bet you are both chuffed, the zinc looks quality and really lifts the roof to another level.
Water tight sounds like you have cracked it, now you can work inside in the dry.
I’d just get bored Duncan and end up ruminating about the meaning of life, waiting for God and a lack of purpose. :lol:
Don't say that Mike it will come soon enough, enjoy life its better than you think.
Great work chaps.
Mirror, Signal go faster pedal !!

Return to “General Discussion - Non Car Related”