Man Cave Mk2

Off Topic Forum for all non car comments and disussion

Moderator: Contaminated

b33fy

Re: Man Cave Mk2

Postby b33fy » Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:55 pm

Wingco wrote:Another great write up Mike, lots of things being done now and it seems to be coming on nicely now. Interesting to read about the fee for any changes, I would have thought they would ripped the ass out of you ?
the plans are to complicated for me to make head or tail off :lol: :lol:
The place is coming on nicely now and loads of things have been done.
Purley my ignorance, why did you change from concrete lintel to wooden ones ? you want see them and I would have thought the concreate ones would be stronger and last longer ?

The cost tends to be for the additional work from the architect and structural engineer. Structural engineers can charge anything from £300-£500 per calculation. I’m not sure on the cost to amend in England, as the system is slightly different across the border.

We removed all the masonary, so there would be none above the concrete lintels to support. As there is only a small timber structure left it’s more appropriate and easier to use timber. It’s pressure treated so should outlast the original timbers in the building. We won’t see the timber structure as it will be incorporated into new timber studwork walls.
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:42 pm

Not our finest week, productivity wise. Lots of aggro relating to the screeders. In a nutshell they cancelled Monday morning then sent us some scum they scrapped off a toilet bowl on Wednessday. James and I left them to it as it was too painful to watch. On our return we were left with two tonnes of “overs” and a floor that looked sketchy in places. Did a little remedial work and been burning a large diesel heater to fight off potential frost and the wintery weather. Still wet though slowly drying and looking a bit better.

Overall an extremely disappointing experience, made worse by paying top dollar, in the hope of a proper job, avoiding the stress and hassle of doing it ourselves. You live and learn.

Hopefully the area will be usable next week and we can move on and put the internal walls in.
Attachments
IMG_6347.jpeg
IMG_6350.jpeg
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:41 pm

Sorry to hear that, there are some absolute bastards masquerading as builders. At least screed won't be visible when you've finished :roll:

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:52 am

DJ. wrote:Sorry to hear that, there are some absolute bastards masquerading as builders. At least screed won't be visible when you've finished :roll:

Yeh, expected to come across a few, luckily we’ve kept it to a minimum with a 66% “success rate” :lol: We’re doing as much as we can ourselves, albeit some things slowly like the block and stone work, to avoid getting the self appointed professionals in.

Unfortunately I’ve a prick of a brother in the trade who thinks he has great customer relations but can’t see that customers just about tolerate him to get the job done. Having that insight helps but it’s still difficult to avoid the scum.

So far we’ve had the following done

Dropped kerb. Overall good, though communication and timescale was sketchy.

Concrete slab. Spot on, a great couple of guys levelling etc with us barrowing the readymix.

Raising the trusses. Had some assistance with this on a day rate, which started well then went pear shaped and thankfully parted ways in the end.

Zinc roofing. Expensive but guys grafted and got it done.

Slater. Ongoing, with James and I cutting and sorting slate for him. Off on another long-standing delayed job at present. Lovely guy, great job so far.

Screeding. Expensive and unprofessional at best.

We’ve got a plasterer lined up for the inside and rendering outside. Recommended by the slater and he’s done work for the architect so sounds promising. Hopefully the rest we can do ourselves bar some electrics and gas fitting.

Learning.. Do not put up with substandard work and unprofessional behaviour, act sooner rather than later.

Use the networks around you as much as possible to get recommendations including asking at local builders merchants, plumbing shops etc.

We’ve all got our own resources but sometimes don’t realise it at the time. The guy helping us with the trusses up blew us out with a text message when I was on my way back from Kent, after my other half wasn’t so well. I was on the last 60 miles or so on a slow “A”road, which after the initial annoyance, gave me chance to ponder, regroup and call James who had stayed in Kelso. It wasn’t a surprise, with his chaos, deluded self worth and poor skills set. Also a reluctance to get up on the roof and do the sarking. It saved me a job sending him down the road. James and I dug deep and got it done ourselves without the grief of others adding to the stress.

Thankfully the screed has dried ok and whilst the finish could be better, it is level and we can crack on now.

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:17 pm

Good to hear the screed is useable. Plastering is something normal people just can't do to a decent standard, I hope he's a good one.

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:46 am

Bit of a slow week. A day out at Beamish with the best ever fish and chips cooked on a coal fired fryer. Eventually got back on the floor and started putting in the rest of the interior walls. Decided to buy a decent chainsaw after my throwaway Titan decided not to run properly. Used mostly for dirty work and chopping up waste, didn’t really want to blow the budget on a new one but got a great deal on a Stihl at a local firm. Gave it a go on the hedge which had some rogue trees growing through it. Ended up being a days work shreading the remnants and tidying up.

Decided to rationalise my storage space. Been renting two units which seems ridiculous given the storage we have, so have emptied the Scottish one and handed the keys back. When I say emptied.. a roof box and two Jerry cans!

Now in Kent on a flying visit emptying another. Left James holding the fort as he didn’t fancy the journey on a Friday afternoon. Funnily enough it wasn’t too bad, at just over 7 hours, including a bit of a tailback at Weatherby.
Attachments
IMG_5317.jpeg
IMG_5318.jpeg
IMG_6371.jpeg

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:00 pm

That is quick for a Friday!
It will be nice to be working more inside from now on I hope.

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:34 am

Back from Kent after rationalising the storage. Shipping containers aren’t the best, with some collateral damage, nothing of value thankfully. Not much progress other than a bit more framing and fending off the cold. Awaiting a timber delivery Monday so we can finish off dividing up the rooms. The next step is to put the drains in for the shower trays, then add more insulation and start pipework and cabling.
Attachments
IMG_6452.jpeg

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:15 pm

Now you are working inside at least the weather won't affect progess. It must be nice being able to plan socket locations etc from scratch.

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:05 pm

DJ. wrote:Now you are working inside at least the weather won't affect progess. It must be nice being able to plan socket locations etc from scratch.

Nice to be out of the wind and cold though we’ve still got a bit of a leaky roof with the temporary covers so can’t progress massively until the slater comes back.

There’s always an anxiety about getting sockets etc in the right place. Like a kit car, it’s tricky to add more at a later date without making a birds nest. There’s also the quandary to go smart or not. Sticking with traditional and a few plugins as whole systems seem to date quickly. Going to stick a 10 amp lighting circuit in for a few bedside/table/floorstanding lamps as they use wall sockets and light switches like the main lighting. You’ve also got a little flexibility on lamp positioning as well.

Got lots of plastered in down lighters and flat wall plate switches to give the plasterer a headache!

Return to “General Discussion - Non Car Related”