Man Cave Mk2

Off Topic Forum for all non car comments and disussion

Moderator: Contaminated

b33fy

Re: Man Cave Mk2

Postby b33fy » Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:46 pm

Mixed week this week. A bit of time trying to keep the water out. More temporary covers added to the roof. Stewart the slater spent a bit of time making temporary repairs until he can get back on the job.

James and I put the first layer of insulation in on the external walls. Then in a moment of madness decided to knock through the new hall from old to new. Made good the floor. Just gotta work what to do to support the roof and remove the props.
Attachments
IMG_5230.jpeg
IMG_5249.jpeg
IMG_5246.jpeg
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:02 pm

I love the way you knock out a wall and then consider how to support the roof :lol:
You are a braver man than me!

bigstuff

Postby bigstuff » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:23 pm

It seems like you're in your element Mike, James seems to be enjoying himself too! I might just have to plan a Scottish trip for an inspection and some photography! :D
One is one too many and one too many is never enough.

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:58 am

DJ. wrote:I love the way you knock out a wall and then consider how to support the roof :lol:
You are a braver man than me!

Learnt a few things along the journey Duncan, one is not to overthink things. That’s what I paid the Architect and structural engineer for. Secondly, they don’t always get it right. Lastly most jobs will turn into a mission as you uncover them so there’s a need to look for alternative solutions.

So working on the presuppositions; doing something is better than nothing, the pros overthink and the need to “improvise, adapt and overcome” We crack on :lol:

Thought you might like to see the architects solution to support the roof from a computer, the structural engineers workings from a calculator and mine from the “coalface” :lol:

On a slightly more serious note, I had a hunch this wall might throw up a bit of a curveball, so the approach was to get the wall out, reappraise, then consult the structural engineer for an agreeable solution. Above all the priority is keeping the structure and area safe with two Acrow props supporting a temporary beam placed across the roof trusses doing their job at the moment.
Attachments
IMG_5250.jpeg
IMG_5251.jpeg
IMG_5248.jpeg
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:30 am

bigstuff wrote:It seems like you're in your element Mike, James seems to be enjoying himself too! I might just have to plan a Scottish trip for an inspection and some photography! :D

Needs must Mark. Too many rip off merchants in the unregulated world of building wanting too much money. Sadly I haven’t had much time for togging recently and decided to sell my camera bodies while they were still worth something. Hoping to grab an R5ii or R1 when they’re finally released and I’ve a bit more time on my hands.

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:11 pm

Thanks Mike, interesting, to be honest, I found your version much more enlightening :mrgreen:

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:53 pm

An update on the hole in the wall solution. The structural engineer was fine with my proposal to change from concrete lintels to a timber structure as we had removed all masonry and the roof structure above was small. We cut the insulation upstand out on the floor and put in some concrete to provide a sound base for the Jack studs and floor plates. The framework was then made up and put in place and tied in with some mini joists and coach bolts. The bottom will have screed around it holding it in place along with the adjoining stud portion walls. It’ll all be hidden behind plasterboard eventually.

We also made some changes to the internal layout, blocking up one doorway and putting in a new one elsewhere. This means we now have two en-suites and one main bathroom. The third bedroom will now be more suited for more flexible use such as a snug and we don’t need to put a toilet in the boot room now. The main bathroom is adjacent to the third bedroom anyhow, so would be used predominantly by the third bedrooms occupants, along with any visitors.

As a side note, we do need to submit any changes to building control as amendments to the building warrant. This includes the new opening structure and changes to the layout. The structural engineer will need to provide amended calculations and the architect will need to provide amended drawings.

In other news we’ve cleared the site a bit as we are now using a new entry point and the rubble pile was in the way a bit. The screeders have decided to do their thing on the internal on Monday so it gives them space to work. After a phone discussion this afternoon with their tech guy we gotta do a little more prep over the weekend. Nothing like short notice and a tight deadline to keep you on your toes. We could have said no to Monday but then it could be weeks before they get the job done.

The slater also popped back to sort out a bit of storm damage to the temporary roof cover. He then called me Wednessday morning and said he could do a few days from Wednessday afternoon as the job he’s doing has gone a bit pear shaped. This meant removing security fencing and getting scaffolding up on the double, so he could get back on it.

Just got the weekend to get through then we’ll leave the screeders to it Monday and have a pig out in weatherspoons. :lol:

A nice moment today, which made my week, when the digger was collected. The guy collecting it was very interested in what we were doing and was very complimentary. I showed him round and he was quite taken aback when I showed him the open plan area, getting numerous spontaneous “wows” :lol:
Attachments
IMG_5268.jpeg
IMG_5267.jpeg
IMG_5266.jpeg

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:46 pm

Changing things always adds to the cost, but it's cheaper to do it now than afterwards I suppose.

Have you ever watched the film Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House:
https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0040613

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:26 pm

DJ. wrote:Changing things always adds to the cost, but it's cheaper to do it now than afterwards I suppose.

Have you ever watched the film Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House:
https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0040613

It’s £100 a time to notify of any changes, though you can save them up and cluster them under one £100 amendment application. Thankfully the architects fees include any changes and the structural engineer is my better half’s cousin so a bottle of wine goes down well!

Not a film I recall seeing Duncan. If I can find it somewhere I’ll take a gander. Quite like an old film now and again.

Wingco

Postby Wingco » Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:03 pm

Another great write up Mike, lots of things being done now and it seems to be coming on nicely now. Interesting to read about the fee for any changes, I would have thought they would ripped the ass out of you ?
the plans are to complicated for me to make head or tail off :lol: :lol:
The place is coming on nicely now and loads of things have been done.
Purley my ignorance, why did you change from concrete lintel to wooden ones ? you want see them and I would have thought the concreate ones would be stronger and last longer ?
Mirror, Signal go faster pedal !!

Return to “General Discussion - Non Car Related”