What tree is this?

Off Topic Forum for all non car comments and disussion

Moderator: Contaminated

b33fy

Re: What tree is this?

Postby b33fy » Sat May 09, 2020 9:25 am

bigstuff wrote:Mike I think that is a Douglas fir, and by the look of the size of it , it has been there longer than the house. If anything removing it would likely cause subsidance.

Thanks Mark, the house was built in 1883 if that helps..
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

bigstuff

Postby bigstuff » Sat May 09, 2020 9:34 am

I've just checked and the Douglas for was introduced to the UK in 1827 and can live to 1000 years. I'd say by it's size it definitely predates the house.
One is one too many and one too many is never enough.

Martin S

Postby Martin S » Sat May 09, 2020 6:33 pm

Looks like a giant sequoia to me...the bark is very soft
...fire retardent

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Sat May 09, 2020 6:52 pm

Martin S wrote:Looks like a giant sequoia to me...the bark is very soft
...fire retardent

Won’t be able to burn it down then.. :lol:
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

Martin S

Postby Martin S » Sat May 09, 2020 7:30 pm

:lol:

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Sun May 10, 2020 8:59 am

Got the report, doesn’t say what tree, though the estate agent said redwood.. aka sequoia.

No reference to a tpo. evidence of previous structural movement, not ongoing.

Non starter imo. In main house , evidence of dampness and woodworm. roof needs remedial work/re roofing at some point. Pointing needs sorting in places including chimneys.

Then there’s the tree, though no reference to it causing problems, it would have to go.

House is priced way over the surveyors valuation done last year, which indicates owners less likely to negotiate.

Might as well buy a poophole and expect the worse, rather than spend top money on a so called perfect property then unearth expensive problems in my view

Plan b) keep looking.

Martin S

Postby Martin S » Sun May 10, 2020 9:28 am

The tree would definitely have a top on it..local council would tell you....yep walk away..no way would they allow removal

Martin S

Postby Martin S » Sun May 10, 2020 9:29 am

Tpo :roll:

nelmo

Postby nelmo » Sun May 10, 2020 9:38 am

b33fy wrote:Got the report, doesn’t say what tree, though the estate agent said redwood.. aka sequoia.

Non starter imo. In main house , evidence of dampness and woodworm. roof needs remedial work/re roofing at some point. Pointing needs sorting in places including chimneys.

Then there’s the tree, though no reference to it causing problems, it would have to go.

House is priced way over the surveyors valuation done last year, which indicates owners less likely to negotiate.

Might as well buy a poophole and expect the worse, rather than spend top money on a so called perfect property then unearth expensive problems in my view

Plan b) keep looking.

Isn't it worth a realistic offer (taking into account the extra work needed)? The location looks awesome - my wife would live in a shed if it had that view out over the sea :D

Ask an expert about the risk the tree is - I can't imagine it getting much worse in your lifetime and even with a TPO, you're probably allowed to trim it down.

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Sun May 10, 2020 11:01 am

nelmo wrote:
b33fy wrote:Got the report, doesn’t say what tree, though the estate agent said redwood.. aka sequoia.

Plan b) keep looking.

Isn't it worth a realistic offer (taking into account the extra work needed)? The location looks awesome - my wife would live in a shed if it had that view out over the sea :D

Ask an expert about the risk the tree is - I can't imagine it getting much worse in your lifetime and even with a TPO, you're probably allowed to trim it down.

I wouldn’t insult the owners with a realistic offer Neil, their expectations are way too high, £150k too high imo. I think they are basing the price on the views and people’s dreams in the hope someone buys with their heart rather than their head. There will be other opportunities out there.

Return to “General Discussion - Non Car Related”