Closed Test Day, Snetterton

Inspire the rest of us! A place to pop a note / blog of your travels, a short desciption with a photo would be perfect.

Moderator: Contaminated

b33fy

Re: Closed Test Day, Snetterton

Postby b33fy » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:04 pm

Thanks Steve, I'll leave your question to Nash, needless to say.. its not worth arguing with a jobsworth go see the organ grinder.

A few images coming up starting off with "dog" Carl cant remember if it was old dog, red dog, big dog lol.. dogs good.

The flames went down really well with others.. except Pete whose 59bhp citigo nearly caught fire overtaking Carl.. :roll: :lol: It was a bit cold so we'd have let it burn tbh.

Managed to get my people onto a good flame out shot, Thanks to Bryan Marshall. The others are all
my own work :P :D

ImageBrisky Racing Trackday Snetterton 12th November 2018 by Buckmore Boy, on Flickr

ImageBrisky Racing Trackday Snetterton 12th November 2018 by Buckmore Boy, on Flickr

Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:27 pm

Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

Nash

Postby Nash » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:30 pm

SteveRST wrote:Sounds (and looks!) like an excellent day for everyone. Thanks for posting up the pics Beefy.

Nash wrote:... after an altercation with the Noise Police and many discussions about what I should be revving the Indy too! I scrapped through noise. The limit being 105dB and my result being 104.7dB

That's close :lol: So what did you rev it to for that 104.7 result?
I'm guess you should be having to rev close to 6,750 at 3/4 max?

What are your plans to further quieten it down?

The discussion went something like “what engine are you running?” “Honda” “right I want 7,500rpm” “what? Why?” “Because Honda’s do 10,000 out of the factory” “No they don’t and this has a soft cut at 8,250 and hard cut at 8500” “I don’t care, it has to be at what it’s capable of?” So at 7500rpm I was at 109dB. Conversation with Race Control get an agreement that I had to rev it to 6000. That was 104.7

dB killer (rented from pit shop got it to 102 (for two laps)!

Zero exhausts are now doing a redesign to see what can be done. My preference is NOT to have a Trackday silencer (aka a lot of Caterhams have a second silencer) but we’ll see. Should find out tomorrow
Buckle Up - Adventure Calls

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:05 pm

Nash wrote:
SteveRST wrote:Sounds (and looks!) like an excellent day for everyone. Thanks for posting up the pics Beefy.

Nash wrote:... after an altercation with the Noise Police and many discussions about what I should be revving the Indy too! I scrapped through noise. The limit being 105dB and my result being 104.7dB

That's close :lol: So what did you rev it to for that 104.7 result?
I'm guess you should be having to rev close to 6,750 at 3/4 max?

What are your plans to further quieten it down?

The discussion went something like “what engine are you running?” “Honda” “right I want 7,500rpm” “what? Why?” “Because Honda’s do 10,000 out of the factory” “No they don’t and this has a soft cut at 8,250 and hard cut at 8500” “I don’t care, it has to be at what it’s capable of?” So at 7500rpm I was at 109dB. Conversation with Race Control get an agreement that I had to rev it to 6000. That was 104.7

dB killer (rented from pit shop got it to 102 (for two laps)!

Zero exhausts are now doing a redesign to see what can be done. My preference is NOT to have a Trackday silencer (aka a lot of Caterhams have a second silencer) but we’ll see. Should find out tomorrow

Did I mention I had to rev mine hard to 3800rpm?.. It was quieter than than the drive by limit of 92db. Couldn’t hear a thing on the pit wall other than road noise.. :lol:

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:13 pm

A few of Neil and Mark.. well when I say Mark.. I think its Jay, as he used Marks lid to confuse me!

The good news is the pro got some great shots, which I'll post up so you can see how its done properly.

ImageIMG_0304 by Buckmore Boy, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0302 by Buckmore Boy, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0319 by Buckmore Boy, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0335 by Buckmore Boy, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0574 by Buckmore Boy, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0423 by Buckmore Boy, on Flickr

Wingco

Postby Wingco » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:35 pm

Mike, just loving your photos now mate, the quality and ideas you have for something different is brilliant.The colours you are getting are so vibrant and really come out in the photos. I wouldn't bother with waiting for the pro mate you will do nicely. I will leave my camera at home next time you are coming along.
Mirror, Signal go faster pedal !!

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:20 pm

Wingco wrote:Mike, just loving your photos now mate, the quality and ideas you have for something different is brilliant. The colours you are getting are so vibrant and really come out in the photos. I wouldn't bother with waiting for the pro mate you will do nicely. I will leave my camera at home next time you are coming along.

Thanks Colin, I try to do my own thing and let the pro's do the front on, faces showing, big circuit sign thing because thats what show goers want. It would be good to have more access around the circuit but you work with what you got, thats part of the challenge for me..

Keep going with the camera, it does take some practice, you almost need to be as familiar with the camera as your TV remote. It takes effort top get that one great shot, though its rewarding and satisfying when you do.

Hoping that Santa will bring me a slightly longer lens in time for next season which will help a little especially at Brands Hatch and the rugby.

My two favourite shots by a mile are the girl in the Yeti shot and the overhead of Mark, both taken in the garages, Got lucky with the girl looking straight at the camera, though thats all you need. I like the Mazda with the flames as well.

Favourite car at the track White Golf MK5. Full marks to the young owner, clutch failure in the morning, swapped and back up and running by the afternoon.. I wish Kwik Fit were as quick :lol: .

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:32 pm

Link to "Eat My Pixels" shots of the day, a nice guy, just don't ask him to do a wedding, unless you are marrying an engine. :D

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 0d90bd1c1c

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:44 pm

If it is any consolation the Snett noise meter seems particularly tight. I did 107 static (having cheated more than a little) and we had to sweet talk them into let us out. Drive by is no problem in the Zeus.

In the Phoenix static wasn't a problem (7200 rpm rev limit) but drive by was an issue at places like Goodwood.

Return to “You Went Where ???”