Pirbright

Inspire the rest of us! A place to pop a note / blog of your travels, a short desciption with a photo would be perfect.

Moderator: Contaminated

aka Keith

Pirbright

Postby aka Keith » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:19 pm

Mark, apologies if this is posted in the wrong place - fel free to move.

Found myself with an hour spare on Sunday morning with nowt to do until picking up the kids, so with grace and favour asked my leave and took the car out for a spin. As I did not have much time, I thought that I would investigate the Pirbright ring that was mentioned by a couple of people on the last Western blat to Loomies. Sat nav in hand and a rough idea of where I was going of I set, whilst it was still dray at 9am on the Sunday morning. Got to the “start” about 20 minutes later and took a relaxed pace along the road to get my bearings and given that the road was still very greasy –sensible head prevailed.

What a piece of tarmacadam, bend after bend after bend, off on camber, tight and sweeping, dipping and undulating. Found the next part of the route and yet again left grinning from ear to ear even at half throttle. The only downside I can see is the length, just as you get into the groove the road ends – in total it took me about 10-15 mins (if my brain is working correctly) to complete the route.

All in all a fine collection to roads to be run, but I expect that I would have to do it 3 or 4 times in one sitting to make it a suitable RV for a group blat – saying that – I heard that there is a greasy spoon nearby.

If we do another western blat starting in Farnham, can I suggest we do this road to “enroute” it is only minutes away from the RV – so roll on the next blat out west.

Cheers
Craig

Fury1630

Re: Pirbright

Postby Fury1630 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:53 pm

That road's on my way to work - if I take the long way, which I always do if I'm in the Fury. I tend to not go too "balls out" though, there's often flowers & football shirts nailed to trees all along it :shock: the road from the Aldershot Tescos up to tweseldown is close by & as good / better, I often find myself going that way at lunchtime if I take the Fury to work - and it has a horse race course (thinks:- must bring the camera next time). Going between the two means going over the "curley bridge" a semi circular dual carrageway bridge over the A331, which can be quite fun. Mark, if you're thinking about it, you can get onto the Pirbright road along a single track street that's usually covered in mud - just to make you feel at home :)

T

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:23 pm

nice one Craig, i've looked at that on the map a cple of times and am itching to give it a drive. That said i watched a vid clip from Steve C's blog where a GT40 got it rather - err wrong!
i'm also very keen to do 2 other 'west' trips:
definitely going to do Zig Zag hill + Compton Abbas
and rather fancy a north west run up beyond Reading.
as far as i know i am free to blat next weekend if you fancy going out?

aka Keith

Postby aka Keith » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:38 pm

Mark, more than happy to try an organise a run the on the weekend of the 29th Jan - need to check with family in case they have me down to do something. If I am free and the weather looks good enough I will post a note on the forum and lets see what we can do.

Cheers
Craig

Return to “You Went Where ???”