Chilly Oulton Park Trackday Video

Inspire the rest of us! A place to pop a note / blog of your travels, a short desciption with a photo would be perfect.

Moderator: Contaminated

AdamR

Chilly Oulton Park Trackday Video

Postby AdamR » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:59 am

Morning all,

Just thought I'd share a video and some blurb from / about a trackday I attended at Oulton Park on Friday.

I appreciate this circuit is a long way from most of you, but if you're track-inclined I strongly recommend it goes on 'the list' - definitely one of the best, if not the best, in the UK :D

Anyway, it was a classic December trackday with a wet track, temperatures hovering around zero and a severe lack of grip, which made sure concentration levels were high! A dry-ish line appeared throughout the course of the day which allowed everyone to press on a bit.

One of the highlights of my day was receiving some instruction from a chap called Mike Wilds. Mike's currently in his 50th year of paid racing, did a few Formula1 races in the 70s, won the Britcar in 2008, and his son came 2nd in the Westfield race series a few years back - so he knows his onoins. To be honest I was a little nervous of what he might say, haha, but luckily he was fairly complimentary about my driving, highlighted some areas where I could improve and went on to say that my car handled beautifully and asked if he could have a go - result! I've been tinkering with car set up, spring rates, damping changes, geometry and home-making various iterations of anti roll bars for the last 18 months or so and it all felt to me like it came together on this day, so to have someone back that up was great.

I've rambled on enough, here's a video! Hopefully see some of you out and about on the track next season :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wcj__NEuSa4

Cheers,
Adam

Fury1630

Re: Chilly Oulton Park Trackday Video

Postby Fury1630 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:40 am

Excellent - sound like you had a good day :D

Wingco

Postby Wingco » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:30 pm

Nice one Adam, looks like you had fun. Great video as well.
Mirror, Signal go faster pedal !!

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:44 pm

Good video, nice smooth driving when you were following the Radical :)
From the marks on the grass there were a few offs during the day.

SteveRST

Postby SteveRST » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:40 am

Great video - looked quick and lots of fun. Armco is very close to the edge of the track in a lot of sections isn't it!
Westfield Zetec turbo & Westfield Megabusa turbo

AdamR

Postby AdamR » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:17 am

Cheers guys. Yes, smooth was the order of the day - and there were indeed a few offs, including one where a BMW got so stuck they had to find a tractor to pull him out!

Close armco? Tell me about it :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx4D-g2Hz6Q
Last edited by AdamR on Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Red27

Postby Red27 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:13 am

AdamR wrote:One of the highlights of my day was receiving some instruction from a chap called Mike Wilds.

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

My jaw dropped when I got as far as this, and it took me another 10 minutes to calm down and read the rest. Wow. Worth going just for that. Has he still got his upside down teardrop helmet? I remember reading his Autosport column back in the '80s. Geez, I'm getting old....

Your comment about Oulton being one of the best in the UK. Can't argue with that. But, have you done Cadwell? Armco's a bit "bitey" there as well if you're not careful.
Linda

"Gilles was the fastest driver in the history of motor racing" - Jody Scheckter

AdamR

Postby AdamR » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:12 pm

Yeah, definitely worth it just for that - and it was free, so can't argue!

Haha, his helmet didn't seem anything strange to me (ooh err missus), it was bright yellow though :)

I have indeed done Cadwell, a few times, and also know the armco there fairly well...

There's a common theme running here, isn't there? haha

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:09 pm

You're a lot braver than me!
Well done for posting the Armco video, it looked like you nearly saved it.

Return to “You Went Where ???”