Today I was Mostly at Top Gear Live

Inspire the rest of us! A place to pop a note / blog of your travels, a short desciption with a photo would be perfect.

Moderator: Contaminated

greenwoo
Site Admin

Today I was Mostly at Top Gear Live

Postby greenwoo » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:41 am

well it was yesterday actually. Yep Monsieur James made the suggestion and organized tickets for us ( + his significant other ) to toddle up to Town to see what the fuss was all about. Anyone else been along to this one or perhaps one in the past? This was their Live show alongside the MPH show at Earls Court.
The MPH part was a tad disappointing, i'm not one for Car Shows really, but seemed that the dispalys were a bit hotch potch and although there were some stunning motors many of the displays were by traders ( Clive Sutton/Total Headturners etc). There were some highlights - 350 Shelby, matt black fezza, gulfed Aston LMP1 Le Mans etc - but then there was the 'oh so wrong' - (IMHO) the exotica with yellow interiors ( according to James thats an age thing - i maintain its a bad taste thing).....
Of course no car show would be complete without the likes of Kenwood/Pioneer pumping out a zilowatt of drum + bass ( havent they realised that a bit of hard rock is more than a viable alternative for driving sounds or are their systems incapable of handling a vocal a la Plant or Gillan) ?

Anyway, after a toddle around the show we took our seats at the Top Gear bit. Well what did we learn? I won't put in in list form as apparently Jeff can't handle lists :D
well i for one learned that i really do detest Hammond, unusual for me to make a snap judgement without sharing 10 pints and forming a rational opinion, i kind of thought that perhaps that in the flesh he'd be less annoying that on telly - err NO. I also learned that there's only a certain amount of car tricks ( J turns etc etc ) that can be done in a small area and that after you've seen a car ( any car ) screech through a 180 degrees 10 times that the next time isn;t likely to be too different. Additionally i learned that bangs and pyrotechnics still have the ability to make me jump - so atleast my reactions aren't shot to pieces, and that there's little point in doing an audience 'Cool/Uncool' wall when half the audience can only see the front or back of the car ( and that Clarkson will overide anything that he doesn't agree with ) - oh and that when put on the spot and interviewed that there are some very ( very ) strange people in this world. Oh and that just as on TV the 'trials' that they are made to do are so predictable as to only be vaguely amusing ( think Norman Wisdom - you knew he'd fall over and make a balls of something - just not when)......in this case it was: a race between 3 machines built ( and powered )from kitchen appliances....of course all battery powered......................................except for Clarkson who of course had a 150ft extension lead ( handy until it beacme apparent that the race was over 200 ft).........gosh no one saw that coming did they.
Glad i went along - yes, box ticked. Do it again - nope not unless it was a free ticket and i had nothing else to do. Value for money - mmmm tough one, nope - £70 but we got 2 free small beers.
Given that we were sitting down i have to say that i doff my metophoric cap to anyone that has/will go along to watch the live TV show filming, i suspect that many of those are quite easily excited and if they weren't interested in cars or TV would consider fishing an active sport. ( thank god i spellchecked that last sentance - i wrote fisting, which as i understand it is an active sport or past time).

Anyway, review over. I know i'm a young grumpy chap, so put me right - tell me that you've stood in the audience at a Live recording ( within the past year - cos before that the prog wasnt too shabby ) and that it was a beautiful experience :lol:

jeffw

Re: Today I was Mostly at Top Gear Live

Postby jeffw » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:56 am

We did it several years ago (actually got on camera as well) and it was fun. Hammond was OK....pretty normal, Jeremy is also normal off screen. We where there the 2nd time Gambon was on.

zxr400

Postby zxr400 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:19 am

i think because we drive such inspired cars and intense run outs ,nothing else comes close ,basically we have been spoilt ,i mean how many people get to drive cars as quick as ours and as exciting ,we ar top end thrill seekers ,so car shows for us is well may i say ,boring :shock: ,i recon us lot could do a better top gear show ,i think people would love it , and as for fisting i googled it :o ,that sir looks very uncomfortable and very messy ,no no not for me ,or am i geting old :cry:

Nogoingback

Postby Nogoingback » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:18 pm

All TV/ live shows have a sell by date and i think Top Gear has passed that show me something new.

zxr400

Postby zxr400 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:21 pm

watced the replay of them in the u s a so funny ,a possy on tour there would be be such a larf ,my car pink ,tony, nash cars suck, brians,red necks ar pufs ,and robs, i'm gay , :lol: :lol: be great fun to out run them .

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:42 pm

bloody hell Paul stop eating those blue M+M's. If ui understood the above correctly you want to go to Redneck country with a Pink car - mm Bubba + Cletus would love that i'm sure.

Red27

Postby Red27 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:07 pm

You'll have to get it out of the gravel trap at Brands first... ;)
Linda

"Gilles was the fastest driver in the history of motor racing" - Jody Scheckter

zxr400

Postby zxr400 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:06 pm

so your not up for that then captin, ;)

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:59 pm

err no count me out Paul, anything that involves hanging around people with 14 toes is a no go for me i'm afraid, but fill your boots.

Return to “You Went Where ???”