Anyone looking for a more sensibly priced intercom?

Look in here for tips on buying a 'Kit', using Sat Nav, keeping your car in 'good nick' - and more......

Moderator: Contaminated

David T

Re: Anyone looking for a more sensibly priced intercom?

Postby David T » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:00 pm

I've got all the auto stuff off as it was not great with the wind noise at higher speeds. Its just the audio and 2-way radio that cuts in/out automatically now. Closed face might work a lot better with the auto settings.

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:40 pm

The automatic controls work very well at 80mph with a screen and sidecreens, but with aeroscreen, I think you're right a full face helmet would be much better than ear defender headsets.

ChrisL

Postby ChrisL » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:39 pm

Resurrecting a very old thread!
Duncan can you post or mail the pictures of your headset conversion, about to do the same...

Cheers
Chris
Yes I've been drinking, what of it!!

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:50 pm

Your wish is my command :lol:

Fortunately, I took some photos when I did it in case I had to do it again:

Not many tools required:

Rather superfluous photo of 3M ear defenders before I started (I was told to buy the larger green ones as room is tight in the yellow ones).

After dismantling the ear defenders, the ear pieces pull out if rotated 90 degrees.

View of Starcom open face helmet head set:

Some judicious cutting of the foam allows the speakers to be well located, watch out they don't press on your ears.

I used some silicone tube to protect the thin cable as it enters the ear defender cup.

The next three photos show the speaker side only assembled:

And here it is with the wire pushed through the headband. I used a rounded ended flexible piece of nylon like plastic to push through with the wire following.

The cables on mine were fine co-axial so it was tricky to separate the wires without getting a short circuit. I soldered the centre core, and the outer wire, then wrapped the centre with insulation tape and used heat shrink around both to make a neat join. (Remember to put the heat shrink on first :roll: )

The wires were reassembled inside ths microphone side cup, and the boom hot glued into the cup at the right angle. I had the cable enter towards the back of the cup, so it runs behind my shoulder. I had heard having it come out of the bottom is a bad idea, however, if I was to do it again, I think I'd have the cable coming out more to the side so it goes further from the seat back.

Hope this helps Chris :)

ChrisL

Postby ChrisL » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:56 pm

That's brilliant, many thanks Duncan - hot glue gun ordered :-)
Yes I've been drinking, what of it!!

Return to “Useful Info - tips, tricks ....”