Brake bleeding.

Look in here for tips on buying a 'Kit', using Sat Nav, keeping your car in 'good nick' - and more......

Moderator: Contaminated

Nash

Re: Brake bleeding.

Postby Nash » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:57 am

steve m wrote:I do mine every two years on the kit car, and use dot 5, as its not hygroscopic
ive not done my tin tops ever :o

Hi Steve, do you use dot 5 or 5.1? I used to use 5 when I raced but haven't used it on the kit (I use 5.1).

The 5 is fully synthetic and you don't get fade at high temp but you can't mix it with anything else so makes it less practical in everyday situations. Take Tony b's Alps issues finding 5 isn't as easy. I do prefer 5 for the properties it possesses but chickened out at a he last rebuild.
Buckle Up - Adventure Calls

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:33 pm

I have never tried the silicone(?) based dot 5, but just wanted to say not all dot 4 fluids are equal.

When I changed my clutch hydraulics last summer, I used some Carplan dot 4 to refill the system. I had bought the bottle at Scotch Corner to try bleeding the system. Anyway after only a few weeks it was very cloudy and there were crystals on the cap. I changed the fluid using Halfords dot 4 and six months later it was fine.

I won't be buying Carplan brake fluid again.

steve m

Postby steve m » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:09 am

I checked the can yesterday, and its 5.1, but I know I did use 5.0 at some years ago, as its written down in my log
but this could explain the problems bleeding the brakes when I fitted the floor mounted pedal box as 5 and 5.1 do not mix

steve
Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

David T

Postby David T » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:41 am

My Easybleed kit just has a choice of reservoir caps (different sizes). Works perfectly without any leaks. I didn't know there was a Gunston reservoir too. I guess this means you don't have to top up the car's reservoir during bleeding, but that is not too much of a problem - maybe just need to top it up two or three times on a fluid change.

Previously I tried my compressor powered fluid extractor. This has a hose and rubber attachment espeically for brake bleeding. Problem is it struggles to pull the fluid through the brake pipes and tends to draw air through the threads of the bleed nipple instead (path of least resistance). It is excellent at emptying (most of the) oil from sumps and gearboxes though, e.g. like recently when I slightly overfilled the V70 during annual service.

ChrisL

Postby ChrisL » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:06 am

I was thinking of getting one of these: http://sealey.co.uk/PLPageBuilder.asp?g ... results=16

Thoughts?
Yes I've been drinking, what of it!!

Fury1630

Postby Fury1630 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:21 am

I've never had any problems by just using a clear hose that's a tight fit on the nipple, running it up about 6", then down into a jar, top up the reservoir, pump the pedal hard 10 times, gently 10 times top up & check the pipe. The first ten pumps move the bubbles about, the gentle ones keep it moving. As the pipe goes up before going down to the jar, any air coming out of the system gets trapped in the reverse u-bend, any fluid drawn back through the nipple is air free.

Always worked for me.

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:16 pm

Don't buy the Sealey suction device, I tried one and it seemed to just suck air in around the nipple threads. The volume of the container is very small too.

ChrisL

Postby ChrisL » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:07 pm

Cheers for the advice Duncan.
Yes I've been drinking, what of it!!

steve m

Postby steve m » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:08 pm

Fwiw I just use a bit of tube , on the nipple, and the other end in a large jam jar,
wifey on the brake peddle and me running round the car shouting up down up down etc etc, while unscrewing and screwing the nipple

probably looks bonkers, but does the job

:D :D
Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:19 pm

steve m wrote:Fwiw I just use a bit of tube , on the nipple, and the other end in a large jam jar,
wifey on the brake peddle and me running round the car shouting up down up down etc etc, while unscrewing and screwing the nipple

probably looks bonkers, but does the job

:D :D

That's what I've always done, but the volunteers have been lacking lately :)

Return to “Useful Info - tips, tricks ....”