GBS Sump & It LIVES (again)

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

Fury1630

GBS Sump & It LIVES (again)

Postby Fury1630 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:02 pm

Having left sumpo all over Harley Witney after hitting a curb stone, I pondered a Raceline sump, but then found KitSpares (GBS) are selling a steel sump for 1/2 the price - this was much better - potentially.

On Saturday I raised the car, took down the belly-pan, starter (after a struggle) & sump, filled the oil pump inlet & new pick up pipe with vaseline (after plugging the air holes in the pick-up pipe with sealant - see the blog as this won't let me upload pics)

I lifted the new sump into positi - clunk!

The horizontal baffle hit the pick up pipe to the sump can only be fitted to a bare engine! WHO DESIGNS THIS STUFF???!!!

It was time for a visit from Mr A Grinder.

With the front half of the horizontal baffle "removed" the sump went up nicely - in fact it only needed about 3/4" taken out of an existing slot, but you can't be sure of that until you've taken the whole damn thing out. I replaced it with an aluminium baffle I made for the old sump, suitably re-cut.

Now the sump fitted, I bolted it up with a little sealant, refitted the starter - much easier now there's space around it - re-fitted the belly-pan, took out the spark plugs & hit the button - the oil light refused to go dark. I went indoors

This evening I had planned to take down the belly pan, all but two of the sump bolts & drain the new oil into my wife's favourite roasting tin - then leave removing the oil pump & packing it with vaseline for tomorrow. I did, but while having my tea, I browsed the Haines-book-of-lies & was horrified to discover that the oil pump is behind the front timing cover, so not only had I been wasting my time, but the engine would have to come out to fill the pump :shock:

I resorted to the internet where as usual the good folk of LocostBuilders had had the same problem. One chap had cut a bean tin in half & held it (filled with oil) against the oil filter mount while turning the engine backwards (I assume he had more than the normal amount of hands) to suck oil into the pump from above. This had met with success, others had just filled an oil filter & screwed it on to achieve the same thing.

Having just taken a filter off, I punched a hole in the side (not drilled as any swarf would be pulled into the pump), screwed it on with the hole at the top & filled it with oil. As I turned the engine with the crank bolt the level dropped, so I took my makeshift reservoir off, filled a fresh filter & put that on, put the oil back in the sump, checked everything, held my breath, pushed the starter .......... & nothing happened.

I gave the starter a hard stare & went back to the driver's side & pushed the button again, this time the engine turned over & after perhaps five seconds the oil light went out :D .

Plugs & leads back in, fuel pump on, push the starter again & it fired :lol:

So far no nasty knocks, but I've not driven it.

But the important thing is that we now have another sump option, it's lighter that the cast alloy ones (though not what I'd call "light"), it's cheaper, it appears to seal to the engine (to be confirmed), gives more ground clearance (you'll need to look at the blog for photos) & should deform in a minor impact rather than crack. Obviously if something crops up I'll report back, but so far, I'm impressed - apart from having to re-cut the baffle to get the thing on.
Last edited by Fury1630 on Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

graham b

Re: It LIVES (again)

Postby graham b » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:29 pm

well for the moment MR T i am pleased for you...only driving will tell...
so blat sunday it is then :D
graham b
Lotus elise
Supercharged.
BBR Mx5
caterham R300
Westfield seiw
Tiger e1

Wingco

Re: GBS Sump & It LIVES (again)

Postby Wingco » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:46 pm

Nice one T, you make it sound so easy !!
Mirror, Signal go faster pedal !!

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:27 am

good to know there's other options out there...nice one T.

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:47 am

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you Tony, but don't try testing the new sump on any kerbs, you've had quite enough excitement for this year :roll:

Hammy

Postby Hammy » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:57 am

Nice one mate, weirdly though I fitted a GBS sump to a zetec a fe years ago and it fitted perfectly with no cutting needed.....

Fury1630

Postby Fury1630 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:56 am

I'm sure it would've fitted OK if the gearbox wasn't attached, but then I wouldn't have been able to get the sump off without taking the engine out. Which may have been irritating.

Fury1630

Postby Fury1630 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:33 am

Well well well, I've just had a call from GBS asking if I'd had any trouble fitting the sump. It seems they've put Duratec pick up pipes in a batch of Zetec sump kits, which is why I had the problem with clearance.

nelmo

Postby nelmo » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:35 pm

Doh!! ;)

If it's any consolation, the pickup in my sump from Tiger was so badly welded, it sat on the floor of the sump and reduced my oil pressure massively. Sadly, my oil pressure gauge wasn't working so I didn't know, until my big-end bearings went :cry:

And don't ask about the stupid windage tray which forced me to drill a hole in the bottom of the sump to get the damn thing off :evil: :cry: :o

Fury1630

Postby Fury1630 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:13 pm

The car's nearly back together, changed the gearbox mount at the weekend
IMG_1812.JPG
IMG_1812.JPG (128.79 KiB) Viewed 2829 times

Then set about the exhaust pod, fixed the split & some other issues, like the rear wall was cracked, so made an aluminium reinforcing.
IMG_1955.JPG
IMG_1955.JPG (109.95 KiB) Viewed 2829 times

IMG_1958.JPG
IMG_1958.JPG (54.41 KiB) Viewed 2829 times

IMG_1959.JPG
IMG_1959.JPG (171.41 KiB) Viewed 2829 times

IMG_1964.JPG
IMG_1964.JPG (80.39 KiB) Viewed 2829 times

Then went to my Brother's to pick up his spare "bell washer" for the gearbox mount - he'd "lightened" the bolt for me - he knows me so well :D
IMG_1965.JPG
IMG_1965.JPG (74.23 KiB) Viewed 2829 times

Return to “Car Related Discussion”