LED Headlights.

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

Alex.

LED Headlights.

Postby Alex. » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:58 pm

I'm looking at upgrading parts of my Tiger Cat E1 and the lights have come under my scrutiny. Nothing to do with breaking the fog light and realising that the plastic of the housings are getting brittle... :D

LED headlights appear to be quite bright and can be a bit smaller than the 'standard' Tiger lamps, which would remove the need of loosening the headlights whenever I need to take the nose cone off.

I think I have found the lights that were part if a group buy a few years ago, but they appear to not shells. How did people with sevens mount them?
https://furoreproducts.co.uk/headlight-3850-lumen-pair

Any advice or info on suppliers gratefully received.

Alex.

SJLB

Re: LED Headlights.

Postby SJLB » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:31 pm

I've got Dominator lamps like many others and swapped out the halogen bulbs for LEDs. The lighting is not great but then it never was and apart from an early start in the spring I don't drive much at night. I can now run them switched on all the time without draining the battery though which was my aim. They bolted straight on the same as the original ones.
Steve
Westfield Megabusa, Bromley, Kent.

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:51 pm

i ran some group buys on those lights, importing them from China a few times - and yes obvs have them on my car.
I like them. I had 5.75inch lights anyway as i never liked the 7inch bowls....so it was just a swap out. Would i use anything else.....well nothing i've seen so far is as bright, so in my view they do the job....way better than any of the uprated bulbs/lamps which i tried back in the day.

Alex.

Postby Alex. » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:55 pm

SJLB wrote:I've got Dominator lamps like many others and swapped out the halogen bulbs for LEDs. The lighting is not great but then it never was and apart from an early start in the spring I don't drive much at night. I can now run them switched on all the time without draining the battery though which was my aim. They bolted straight on the same as the original ones.

I'd rather not use LED bulbs, due to the dubious legalities and not knowing if the beam pattern or brightness is right. And as I currently have sealed units, I would be needing the shells too, might as well go for E marked units from the start.

Alex.

Postby Alex. » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:56 pm

greenwoo wrote:i ran some group buys on those lights, importing them from China a few times - and yes obvs have them on my car.
I like them. I had 5.75inch lights anyway as i never liked the 7inch bowls....so it was just a swap out. Would i use anything else.....well nothing i've seen so far is as bright, so in my view they do the job....way better than any of the uprated bulbs/lamps which i tried back in the day.

So to use these units, I would also need to source some empty bowls too?
Were they significantly cheaper from China and did they have the appropriate 'E' marks?

nelmo

Postby nelmo » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:53 am

Mine are similar to these (although paid £65 about a year ago):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-LED-2-X-BLACK-HALO-HEADLIGHTS-E-MARKED-RHD-FOR-LAND-ROVER-DEFENDER-90-110/193151864291?hash=item2cf8bf8de3:g:FtYAAOSwxMhdXnWJ

Not been through an MOT so cannot comment on the beam spread etc but they are very bright - in fact, there is little difference between main beam and dipped. I already had the standard 7" bowls and they fit straight in but I did have to add an ignition live feed for the DRLs (which are awesome and the main reason I changed over).

The only thing I will say is that they don't seem to have reduced the load on the battery as I expected - I still see a noticeable drop in volts when they're on, same as for my old, standard H4 bulbs.

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:04 pm

I bought some of the group buy lights. They have a flat beam so no problem with the MOT. You will need to factor in new bowls, don’t buy the cheapies from CBS, cheap for a reason. You may have to modify the mounting ring for the light to sit in nicely, by making the hole slightly larger by a millimetre or two.

Wiring.. straight forward if you just want the headlights working, a pita if you want DRLs sides and indicators (if fitted) working as they should.
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

ChrisL

Postby ChrisL » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:33 pm

I also got a set of the lights Mark imported. Very impressed with them, no issues fitting just swapped them for the existing units and re-used the shells. They did need a little of fettling to get the to fit.
Yes I've been drinking, what of it!!

Wingco

Postby Wingco » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:08 pm

I also bought a set from the group buy Mark had organised, all i can they are blinding !!
Mirror, Signal go faster pedal !!

Matth93

Postby Matth93 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:20 pm

I got a cheap set off eBay ( about £35 ) they work well but didn’t come with the relays to turn the drl’s off and indicators on etc so I had to organise my own.

Return to “Car Related Discussion”