Cleaning Headlamps - tintop

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

greenwoo
Site Admin

Cleaning Headlamps - tintop

Postby greenwoo » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:04 am

The Rav's headlamps currently have the power of 3.75 candles, so driving at night is 'interesting'. Typical cloudiness/yellowing of the plastic covers....
I know there's umpteen theories online about refreshing/cleaning, but before I buy a tub of sulphuric acid and a widget - anyone got 1st hand tips ( about cleaning them, not retaining body parts).

andyf

Re: Cleaning Headlamps - tintop

Postby andyf » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:38 pm

Some fine wet and dry followed by a good polish with some polishing compound works well. Mine were not too bad so I just used some brasso pads and that shone them up nicely. If you do hit them with wet and dry make sure that you give them a coat of UV protective clear lacquer afterwards otherwise you will be repeating the exercise fairly soon.
MkII Marlin Roadster with Ford 2.0L Pinto and Type 9 gearbox. Going for the oily rag restoration look :-)

Phil N

Postby Phil N » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:16 pm

Buy a kit from halfords, auto glym I think. It has an attachment for a drill and you use the different grades of sandpaper and a paste at the end. Quite easy and a good result at the end. Cost about £20-30 from memory. Youtube it for better results.
9 is more than a number

Phil N

Postby Phil N » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:17 pm

9 is more than a number

Wingco

Postby Wingco » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:24 pm

To be honest M, there are loads of things you can use but the cheapest and yes I've used it is toothpaste. You do need a good bit of elbow grease but it does work. If you get one with some abrasive stuff in it, some of the old style toothpaste is good but I have use Colgate and it works.
Only just saying !!
Mirror, Signal go faster pedal !!

Tony B
Site Admin

Postby Tony B » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:48 pm

I’ve done the toothpaste method before on some really bad Punto lights , took about 20 minutes per light but came up a treat!!

steve m

Postby steve m » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:32 pm

"It has an attachment for a drill"

Only saying, but is there an attachment for an angry grinder ??, as from memory its the only power tool Mark owns
Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:08 am

actually steve, my 2 new fav tools are the SDS drill and the chop saw......the latter is getting worked hard cutting wood for the log burner, the former is doing a great job on some concrete walls. Headlights - should be a doddle for that :D

scotty

Postby scotty » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:35 pm

having done hers in the summer using a kit make sure you really give it a going over with the wet and dry so it really really looks bad.1st one i did i was a bit of a girl(it dont feel right having that much sanding dust come off expensive lights) and didnt do enough sanding and tried to polish it up..didnt work well 2nd one i went to town with the grits and it looks brand new with very little polish.
Luego with a mighty 104bhp!!!

David T

Postby David T » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:48 pm

greenwoo wrote:actually steve, my 2 new fav tools are the SDS drill and the chop saw......the latter is getting worked hard cutting wood for the log burner, the former is doing a great job on some concrete walls. Headlights - should be a doddle for that :D

Mark, but have you seen these angle grinder chop saw attachments?!?!? Probably not good for logs though, more for metal.

Return to “Car Related Discussion”