Car issues already - FIXED

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

smilinglion

Re: Car issues already

Postby smilinglion » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:54 pm

My SW did not start from new!
After testing most things, I found that the relay for the ECU was not working. £4.50 on Amazon solved it the next day.

leegav

Postby leegav » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:38 pm

Probably not the best method but I can feel the 2 relays to fuel and power both clicking when ignition comes on. But fuel pumps don’t prime and when crank the engine no fuel from injectors
Say NO to Pheasants !!! Body count = 3
Say NO to Blackbirds !!! Body count = 1
Say NO to Marmots !!! Body count = 1
Say NO to Squirrels!!! Body count = 1

ChrisL

Postby ChrisL » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:52 am

Can you plug a laptop in and ask the ecu what it's doing?
Yes I've been drinking, what of it!!

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:32 pm

@ Lee, you may know some of these things already from the time you picked the car up. But would suggest that by the time the car leaves MNR you get a clear idea of what fuse does what, where any hidden relays might be, whether there's a fuel cut out/pressure switch ( you know the type that can 'go off' if it senses that you have left the road)....and any other 'electronicary' that it has that's not 100% clear/visible.
Might be worth taking your lappie and seeing/getting an idea of what you can interrogate the ECU for in terms of future checks etc.....

Tony B
Site Admin

Postby Tony B » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:49 pm

did you ever rule out the inertia switch? iot does sound like that would cause your problems?

leegav

Postby leegav » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:59 pm

i can see all ecu parameters through the evo datalogger. but i cant see faults. The MBE to laptop adapter is 170 quid from sbd. :o

what i can see is that i have mbe-rpm so not crank sensor fault. i cant see any ignition volatge on any injectors when cranking.

the way the mbe ecu works is that when you switch on the master kill switch it primes the fule pumps via a relay fro a couple of seconds then closes it until the ecu senses it has rpm to which it then fires up fuel pumps again until it senses no rpm again. this is done via switched earth from ecu to relay to pumps. the mbe doesnt work off any fuses i contacted SBD today. they just said buy the adaptor and it will tell you the fault.. :lol:

i have power to ECU because i can see live mbe data through the aim datalogger, i have power to relays as i can feel them click when ignition on. the fuel pumps work when we by pass the relay...but the injectors still dont fire when we by pass the fuel pump relay. this suggests to me that the ecu doesnt recognise the bypass

My question is would the ecu recognize that the fuel pumps are on (due to bypass) and therefore not fire injectors because it recognises it hasn't grounded the relay.

the car is going back on saturday but im the type of person that cannot settle until ive solved something..lol

at tony....no inertia switch.

leegav

Postby leegav » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:43 pm

Well i seem to have answered my own question.... Tonight after having a chat with steve i decided to test the correct 12v pin out to the fuel pump from the relay. We orginally were checking as if it was set up as a switched live.. Not a switched ground....And hanging upside with mrs involved and me using 2 hands and my teeth to check voltage on the relay i found that on initial prime the voltage was .04v when it should be 12.
I changed the relay and the pumps now prime. However, i havnt fired the engine yet as my car is directly below the little ones bedroom and he was asleep. Will find out tommorrow i guess. Or i could have just wired up the relay incorrectly...

ChrisL

Postby ChrisL » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:37 am

It's always a simple thing, the trick is finding the right simple thing (and I wish I followed my own advice!!)

good luck starting
Yes I've been drinking, what of it!!

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:54 pm

Yes fingers crossed!

andyf

Postby andyf » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:26 am

I know it's expensive but I would buy the cable it will pay dividends later if you have similar problems
MkII Marlin Roadster with Ford 2.0L Pinto and Type 9 gearbox. Going for the oily rag restoration look :-)

Return to “Car Related Discussion”