Walkie Talkies in car Radio Again

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

Wingco

Walkie Talkies in car Radio Again

Postby Wingco » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:18 pm

Now I do appreciate there has been loads of discussions on here about communications between cars etc, If someone would like to point me in the best thread for me to look at that will be fine.
But can someone tell me a layman's language what I need to buy, where to buy it and how and what I need to do to make it work please. I feel I could be missing out on some of Tony B informative chats !!
Mirror, Signal go faster pedal !!

Tony B
Site Admin

Re: Walkie Talkies in car Radio Again

Postby Tony B » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:29 am

So, does that mean once you buy the kit i can regurgitate all the beekeeping, gardening and roofing stories again ? :lol:

you need one of these radios

then you need a decent headset, I use one of these wired into a set of ear defenders from screwfix

And if you dont want to depend on the radio battery (a single charge lasts quite a long time), then you need one of these battery extender

then you need to give the radio to Chris (Weathers) or Russ to program up

Matth93

Postby Matth93 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:44 am

What tony said but i also have the cable and can program it for you if needed

nelmo

Postby nelmo » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:50 am

To make the headset simple:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1

Although it doesn't hold very strongly against your head - mine did keep getting blown off at speed when I took my doors off.

Tony B
Site Admin

Postby Tony B » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:24 pm

nelmo wrote:Although it doesn't hold very strongly against your head - mine did keep getting blown off at speed when I took my doors off.

that looks quite a neat unit, but as someone who now has bad tinnitus i would always recommend wiring into proper ear defenders!

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:36 pm

personally, wouldn't bother with a wired/battery extender, the charge is good enough for more than 1 days driving - had a couple of instances on tour when forgot to charge and it was fine for about 2 days.

If you like comfy but good protectors, MSA Sordin do a decent range, can't recall the model i have ( grey covers/red trim)....

and if you're feeling funky.
grab a set of travel/on ear headphones that come apart easily ( sennheiser have a cple that are easy to pick up 2nd hand). Whichever is fine as long as you end up with a clear wired connection to each spkr
Pull the speakers off the frame, pop them in the cup of the defenders, cut a slot for the wire, pop the connector into your phone/player of choice and hey presto.....music on the go.

I site the radio skrs behind the stereo ones, can still hear what's said on the 2 way.

Only other tip, make sure that whatever the 'boom' is, that you may need to reinforce its 'staying' power by wrapping some elect wire around it, otherwise at warp speed the boom as supplied will end up nowhere near your mouth!

locost220

Postby locost220 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:16 pm

If some can figure out how to stop the wind noise affecting mine would be good, might go for a full face helmet if car ever hits the road.
Locost book chassis, Undergoing testing post rebuild :D :?
Robin Hood 2B, keeping me sane
Sylva Leader, stuck to the trailer

Wingco

Postby Wingco » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:24 pm

So, does that mean once you buy the kit i can regurgitate all the beekeeping, gardening and roofing stories again ? :lol:

That's why I thought i had better get all set up TB, and im pretty sure it will be useful to other people just in case they missed some of it !!

Thanks all very useful info, just need to get my act together
To make the headset simple:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1

Although it doesn't hold very strongly against your head - mine did keep getting blown off at speed when I took my doors off.
My build blog: http://zerolifebuild.blogspot.co.uk

So if I bought this head set and wrapped some electrical wire around the boom do you think that will make it stronger ?

nelmo

Postby nelmo » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:31 pm

Wingco wrote:So if I bought this head set and wrapped some electrical wire around the boom do you think that will make it stronger ?

I didn't find the boom (the bit with the microphone on) a problem - it's the main headband which is a little weak. If you've got a screen and doors, it is fine. With my doors off, it slowly gets dragged off when doing over 50-60mph.

Before I got these, I had the ear defenders and I never used them without doors, so not sure if they might have got blown off as well? Also, I find these to block just as much noise as the ear defenders did.

Wingco

Postby Wingco » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:35 pm

it's the main headband which is a little weak. If you've got a screen and doors, it is fine. With my doors off, it slowly gets dragged off when doing over 50-60mph.

Oh right that could be a problem with me then, no screen or doors. But they seem cheap enough perhaps to maybe modify perhaps, oh I don't know a chin strap say ? I am only interested in perhaps getting this head set as its all done for you.

Return to “Car Related Discussion”