Zetec turbo, 7 years on... [update Pg6]

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

SteveRST

Zetec turbo, 7 years on... [update Pg6]

Postby SteveRST » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:47 pm

Wow, where has the time gone?!
Back in January 2013 I bought a 2.0 zetec engine off ebay and set about adding a turbo and getting it all up and running on Megasquirt engine management. You can read the original thread here.

7 years later, I'd consider the engine swap project a success. The car has completed loads of euro trips and many track days, and generally put up with much abuse!
However, it's now in need of a bit of TLC - there are a few things that NEED sorting...
- low compression on cylinder #2
- turbo leaking oil from somewhere
- cam belt due a change

There are also a few things I'd like to do...
- convert to removable scuttle, and sort the nest of wiring behind the dash
- fit oil cooler

Anyway, on to the first job...
I was thinking the low compression maybe due to a broken piston ring, so took the engine out to investigate.

Turns out, the rings were fine. However, the banana shaped #2 con rod and heavy scoring on the cylinder bores was not cool :lol:

Now, I must confess that I've driven the car through a flood and hydrolocked the engine... twice! :lol: (2017 and last year) Each time, I had to take the plugs out and turn it over to pump the water out of the cylinders.
And to be fair it started again and ran ok - but I think the #2 conrod was in fact no match for a cylinder full of pretty much uncompressible water. :?

So, the options are to either bore the block out and fit a set of over-size pistons, rings and set of new conrods. But I think really it'd be better (and more cost effective) to fit another engine. The engine internals are standard, so nothing fancy required.

- Anyone got a 2.0 zetec knocking about?
- Anyone know of a reasonable source for one of the new (old) 'crate blacktops' that you used to be able to pickup for £800 a few years ago? I kinda fancy a fresh engine, but I've seen kitspares want £1.9k for one now and I'm not paying that!

Will investigate turbo next...

Steve
Last edited by SteveRST on Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:40 am, edited 5 times in total.
Westfield Zetec turbo & Westfield Megabusa turbo

Kegco

Re: Zetec turbo, 7 years on...

Postby Kegco » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:32 pm

St170 engine are cheap at the moment, which are the same as a zetec, sort of
apart from the VVT
ST170 Tiger cat E1
2.1 Tiger cat E1
Mini Rod73 (track toy)

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:35 pm

That is impressive Steve 8-)

I always think of Mango Fury's Zetec, I seem to remember he had to take the head off after 115,000 miles (?) and you could still see the honing on the bores. So picking up an older car with reasonable mileage and removing the engine once it is test driven could be an idea. I think Mattijs said that his car went better with the silver top he removed from an old Mondeo than his modified engine too.

Alternatively, would your head fit on a ST170 block?

Phil N

Postby Phil N » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:38 pm

Call raceline and ask if they have any left, right royal pain in the bum to deal with but we’re the cheapest when I bought my crate zetec.
9 is more than a number

Wingco

Postby Wingco » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:41 pm

That's a nice crack going down that bore Steve ?
This could be another good post so looking at this closely. Good luck Steve hope you get it sorted quickly.
Mirror, Signal go faster pedal !!

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:43 pm

All the best with the build Steve, hope it gives you as much enjoyment and fun as the old setup.
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:16 pm

bloody hell - was it really 7 years ago???

fair play, the old gal has coped well considering!

looking forward to the updates, sadly, cant help beyond what others have suggested re a new engine.

Weathers

Postby Weathers » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:09 am

You must have done a good job with the build in the first instance for it to stand up to all the abuse and the attempts at turning it into a submarine (twice!!).

I also will be keeping an eye on this one and your progress.

Good luck with the (re)build.

SteveRST

Postby SteveRST » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:11 pm

Thanks guys. I've emailed Raceline for price on complete engine. Says £995 on their website but I doubt that's true.

Kegco wrote:St170 engine are cheap at the moment, which are the same as a zetec, sort of apart from the VVT

ST170 do seem cheap and plentiful. Supposed to be a stronger bottom end and far better breathing head too. Ideally I could just drop one in (although I know the engine mounts are slightly different from silvertop to blacktop/ST170).
The VVT does worry me a bit - firstly because it looks like it protrudes an inch or so above the cam cover and I think I'd struggle for the room under the bonnet. Secondly, the Megasquirt 3 ECU can control the VVT but I'd imagine it'd need some electronics wizardry to make it work - something that I'm not familiar with, so prob not a simple plug and play. Worth looking into though!
Are you using a ST170, and did you use the VVT?

DJ. wrote:would your head fit on a ST170 block?

Yes, I believe it will physical bolt on and all the water/oil ways align. The issue seems to be with the cam belt setup. Different between the silvertop and blacktop/ST170, the tensioner on the head is in a different position. I'm gonna have to read up on it.

Wingco wrote:That's a nice crack going down that bore Steve

Yeah, it's not really a crack. More like just a long scratch. Deep enough to require a re-bore though.
I'm not really sure what's caused the scratches though. Must be piston ring I guess?
Westfield Zetec turbo & Westfield Megabusa turbo

locost220

Postby locost220 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:34 pm

Got the bit between you teeth with the mechanical stuff Steve.
Good luck with the new engine and look forward to some rear end action again soon.
Rich.
Locost book chassis, Undergoing testing post rebuild :D :?
Robin Hood 2B, keeping me sane
Sylva Leader, stuck to the trailer

Return to “Car Related Discussion”