Zetec turbo, 7 years on... [update Pg6]

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

DJ.

Re: Zetec turbo, 7 years on...

Postby DJ. » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:31 pm

locost220 wrote:Got the bit between you teeth with the mechanical stuff Steve.
Good luck with the new engine and look forward to some rear end action again soon.
Rich.

Not me, but there's some people on here who could make some comments about looking forward to some "rear end action" :lol:

Kegco

Postby Kegco » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:59 pm

The VVT does worry me a bit - firstly because it looks like it protrudes an inch or so above the cam cover and I think I'd struggle for the room under the bonnet. Secondly, the Megasquirt 3 ECU can control the VVT but I'd imagine it'd need some electronics wizardry to make it work - something that I'm not familiar with, so prob not a simple plug and play. Worth looking into though!
Are you using a ST170, and did you use the VVT

Couple of pic’s showing hight of the VVT solenoid with and with out cover
4D238166-04D9-4EF0-B255-8ED5C5A573A4.jpeg

184FD927-4DF6-4BA2-A721-93F87BBB7077.jpeg

Yeah I’m using the VVT on a ME100 ECU that plugs in to VVT.
Pics of LH & RH sides for engine mounts just in case you are thinking on ST170 route
If you want any measurements/ any more pictures, I have got my spare BLoWN engine in my garage
image.jpg

image.jpg
ST170 Tiger cat E1
2.1 Tiger cat E1
Mini Rod73 (track toy)

Phil N

Postby Phil N » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:09 pm

Don’t email steve, call the Woking branch and speak to chris, tell him you want to pay cash- £800 or £850 from memory.
9 is more than a number

Tony C

Postby Tony C » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:30 pm

Steve, I blame that burning oil rag, remember that? I helped Mattijs remove the engine in his Tiger from a Mondeo, simple enough, if you're not fussed about saving the ancillary bits. From memory he still got cash for the remaining car despite it being less an engine :D
Tiger Cat E1 - 2008-2009
Tiger R6 - 2009-2014
Austin Healey Sprite - 2014-2018
Fisher Fury Le Mans - 2018-2019

SteveRST

Postby SteveRST » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:19 am

Oh, thanks for the pics Kev! Sorry, I thought I'd replied thanks ages ago.

Progress update... the £100 zetec turbo build :lol:

I was on the lookout for a cheap 2nd hand 2.0 zetec and when something poped up on the Facebook classifieds in Chessington (where I live) I snapped it up for £100. Bargain! :D
And wow, talk about local... this engine was sitting in a garage on the opposite side of the fence that separates my service road from the service road of the houses on the next road across from me :lol: What are the chances?!

Anyway, it's an earlyish (1999 I think) 2.0 Blacktop from a Mk1 Focus. The seller said it'd done about 110k and was running when he took it out of the Focus a few years ago, with the intention of using it for his own hotrod project.

As you can see, it came with all the ancillaries... inlet manifold, alternator, power steering pump, air-con pump, flywheel and clutch, coil packs, etc.

First job was to take all that junk off...

I'd noticed that the spark plugs were just sitting loose in the head. On closer inspecion I could see that there was dirt in the cyclinders, so a strip down was in order to see what's what.

Yeah... wouldn't have wanted to try to start it like this...

I've never seen an engine so, erm, oily?! Seriously, oil was thick like treacle. The head and cam cover was caked in solidified oil in places - looking kinda like what I'd expect an engine to look like if it hadn't had an oil change for 100k miles. Hmmm, what have I bought! :roll:

Still, at least the cylinder bores looked OK - no scoring.

Attempting to ascertain if I'd wasted £100, and to save myself wasting any more time, I got some Plastiguage and attempted to check the big end bearing clearances (clearance between crank shaft journal and the conrod bearing shell).

You insert plastiguage strip between the two bearing surfaces, tighten the bearing to the correct torque and then undo it again to reveal the squashed plastigauge. You then measure the 'spread' of the compressed plastigauge using the printed scale sheet, and compared this to the factory clearance tollerances for that particuar bearing.
My first time using it, but the big end clearances seemed to be within spec.

So I'll crack on with it. Won't know for sure now if it's OK or a smoky old sh1tter until I can compression test it and then try starting it for the first time.

Engine mounts...
Seeing as this is a blacktop zetec and my previous engine was an (earlier) silvertop, I was aware that there are several differences between the blocks. Time to see if the old engine mounts will still fit...
Erm, well no - that one won't at all. That is the drivers side mount, and it wants to be directly over where the oil filter attaches. The blacktop (and ST170) zetec has the oil fitler attached to the block itself, wheras on the silvertop the oil filter is attached directly to the external oil pump.

New drivers side blacktop/ST170 engine mount purchased from Westfield (bottom), compared to the old silvertop zetec mount (top):

The passenger side mount fits just fine - no changes here between the earlier and later zetec blocks.

Although I have noticed a small crack starting on this engine mount....

Time to crack out the £50 Aldi welder and do my worst...!
I added a brace between the two sides of the mount, and then added a little triangular section to support the right side of the mount. (This is where the crack had started). Should add a bit of strength even though, yes, I know my welding is absolute shite. :lol:

Block breather
The engine block needs to be able to 'breathe' to allow pressure to escape from the crankcase. On the factory zetec this is taken care of via the rather large metal breather system that sits underneath the exhaust manifold. (Where the rag is stuffed in my pics below).
On my zetec there will be no room for this as the turbo exhaust manifold drops down very close to the block here. Infact, there is so little room that I cannot use the existing breather outlet in the block at all. No clearance for even a small breather take-off (like Chris L has recently done). So I will be fitting a 40mm core plug here and blocking off that breather hole.
So, I need to make some new breather holes!

1. Measure...

2. Drill...

3. Tap...

4. Screw in breather outlet...
If you're wondering what that bolt is below the breather, that is for aligning the crank shaft when timing the engine. You remove the bolt and then thread in a special pin which makes contact with the crank shaft when it is in the correct alignment or something. I've seen people drill that out and fit a breather there, but I'll be needing to use it!)

5. And then repeat on the other side of the block... (used an unused mounting lug here).

These are 2 x 11mm internal diameter which I hope will be OK.

Steve
Westfield Zetec turbo & Westfield Megabusa turbo

Kegco

Re: Zetec turbo, 7 years on... [update Pg2]

Postby Kegco » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:10 am

Nice work Steve,
Hopefully it comes together for you, with no problems.
Keep the pics coming, interesting read
ST170 Tiger cat E1
2.1 Tiger cat E1
Mini Rod73 (track toy)

nelmo

Postby nelmo » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:02 am

Did you need that breather valve?

On my 2005 blacktop, I blocked off that breather on the block as well and just have a breather off the cam cover (that's what GBS told me to do).

Wingco

Postby Wingco » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:46 pm

Nice read Steve and very informative. keep at it fingers crossed for you it wont take to long.
Mirror, Signal go faster pedal !!

Matth93

Postby Matth93 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:00 pm

Well done Steve. While you’ve got the engine stripped that far is it not worth fitting new piston rings and crank shells and strip/clean/inspect the rest then at least you’d know all the internals are good and it shouldn’t be smokey etc

Tony C

Postby Tony C » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:56 pm

Good work Steve, following with interest
Tiger Cat E1 - 2008-2009
Tiger R6 - 2009-2014
Austin Healey Sprite - 2014-2018
Fisher Fury Le Mans - 2018-2019

Return to “Car Related Discussion”