A Few Things I have Done.

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

Wingco

A Few Things I have Done.

Postby Wingco » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:35 pm

As everyone knows I'm not that good with cars but I will service it and change brakes etc but that's about it. Now with Rich and Steve and many others who go full into there cars and complete change, strip and rebuild I am very impressed with how and what you do, i also enjoy how you get round things and problem solving you all do, plus the knowledge on here is second to none.
I am have not taken any pictures due to it being boring so here goes.
On my last MOT back last year at Snodhurst i was told by Kelly that i needed to look at the chassis, it seems the powder coating as come away and I have a lot of rust forming near mounting points.
So after some chats with various people and help from Tony T I gave it a go.
So first to get the car high enough to able me to get underneath it, luck I have a neighbour who works in the heavy haulage and got me some 8 x 8 x 36 inches long bits of wood, stacked these up and sat the car on top, the car is 28 inches of the floor, this allows me to work under the car on a trolley with plenty of room.
So next job was to drill out all the pop rivets of the p clips that held brake linings in place, then to drill all the rivets out that help the side panels on, they wrap around under the car, this was a long and boring job, then disconnect the brake linings that went through the side panels so this will allow me to move the side panels a little bit more to reveal more of the chassis, if you know what i mean.
Now to remove the old powder coating on the top chassis rails was ok it was the lower chassis that was bad.
4 small flappy discs later and a lot of aching arms the job was half done. I chose POR 15 to paint the chassis with and got to be honest its bloody good stuff, I wasn't to worried what it looks like as most of the chassis is hidden but its gone on really well.
Today I finished the painting so hopefully just got to put everything back together, all the p clips, the side panels, fuel pump and the rear wings.
Hopefully this is not to boring of a read for you all.
I have something else up my sleeve as well but Ill cover that when I start the upgrade :D
Mirror, Signal go faster pedal !!

nelmo

Re: A Few Things I have Done.

Postby nelmo » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:51 pm

Well done for having a go ;) - however, I hope those stacks of wood are stable? Getting the car up high is always a pain but I personally wouldn't trust anything that wasn't designed for the job ie. a proper lift.

Last time I had to take my sump off, I used wheel ramps which just gave me enough space to get under. Not great but I wouldn't trust a pile of wood - but then I am a bit of a wimp :oops: ;)

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:54 pm

Well done it's a big job, but better to do it now before the rust gets worse.

When I need to get under the car I sometimes use axle stands under the chassis, and otherwise use four blocks of wood I have made to go under the wheels. Sometimes a mixture of both!

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:46 pm

Well done for cracking on with it Colin. Powder coating seems so hit and miss for a chassis, peeling at the edges and water ingress. Por15 or a two pack urethane paint is probably as good as it gets.
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

locost220

Postby locost220 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:50 pm

Well done Colin, I knew you were building up to it.
just wished I could get near mine at moment,
Locost book chassis, Undergoing testing post rebuild :D :?
Robin Hood 2B, keeping me sane
Sylva Leader, stuck to the trailer

Kegco

Postby Kegco » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:10 pm

Well done Colin
Good luck with refit
ST170 Tiger cat E1
2.1 Tiger cat E1
Mini Rod73 (track toy)

Wingco

Postby Wingco » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:29 pm

however, I hope those stacks of wood are stable?

I wrote that part wrong, the front is up on blocks under the wishbones, the rear is on large axle stands so it pretty safe.
Thanks all for your support and info, I did a lot of reading up on chassis paint etc, I think its been posted up before about POR15 so fingers crossed it works, I have put 3 coats on, it recommends 2.so i should be covered.

SteveRST

Postby SteveRST » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:44 am

Sounds like a good job Colin!
That POR15 is good stuff so should keep the chassis protected for quite a few more years now. Maybe a boring job, but it's definitely one of those things you've got to keep onto of. In fact, reminds me that I've got to tackle the rear wishbones on my yellow car - powder coat is peeling off.
Westfield Zetec turbo & Westfield Megabusa turbo

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:44 pm

fair play Colin, a crappy job to do, but worthwhile for sure!
I think my car is still in my garage, am sure i saw it there last Nov when i was hunting for a propane cylinder......
note to self, sort your life out Marky

Wingco

Postby Wingco » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:30 pm

note to self, sort your life out Marky

Mark I think you have had enough on your plate with the good lady so you shouldn't get to disappointed. Anyway when you are free on a Saturday I could pop up and give you a hand to get the car back on the road.

Return to “Car Related Discussion”