More Power

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

Wingco

More Power

Postby Wingco » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:50 pm

Its a bit dramatic the heading but couldn't think of anything else tbh
As i ended up in my other piece i did A Few Things I have Done, the last bit was something else up my sleeve so here goes.

As some of you know I have been thinking of getting some more power from my Kit Car. I love as you all do driving my car but now and then you get some idiots who think your out for a race. Now normally it doesn't bother me, other times it pisses me off because it can become dangerous. This came to a head just over a year ago when I was coming back from a nice breakfast up Wrotham hill towards the round about at the top. I pulled out to over take this Golf TDI sport and he thought I was up for a race. After a short time I got passed him and pulled in carrying on my way, now heading toward Brands Hatch, he was up my ass so I pulled over, he gave me the royal salute as I waved him good by. Okay no one was hurt, I just carried on my way, now that was just incident out of a few and I’m pretty sure you all have your own stories.
So why more power? I want to be able drop down hit the go fast pedal and get passed them quick enough for them not to bother, okay you will have some who think its a game and I will have accept that.
I have been thinking about this for about 3 years, yes I know take your time, but as you all know its not cheap. I also have no knowledge of how to do this but it was still something that I was prepared to wait for, save for and over the last few weeks it has come to being completed.

I have taken advice from quite a few people and I thank you all, but there was only one person who was going to do the job for me. I also had been speaking to him for a couple of years getting to ask questions and he giving me clear and direct answers.

Now we all know Snodhurst and their back ground in Kits and now in proper Racing Cars. Dick had given me his time and advice. Any time I asked a question and I got a simple and plain answer back.

Now I’m going to leave it here at the moment because you will probably get bored with reading all this, so I’ll break it up over the next few nights, but I would say this, if I word it right you will be surprised with what I have ended up with.
Mirror, Signal go faster pedal !!

DJ.

Re: More Power

Postby DJ. » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:57 pm

Good one Colin, I can't wait to hear more :)

You've gone to the right guys.

Is is a 10,000 rpm Honda vtec nicked out of Jay's race car :lol:

SJLB

Postby SJLB » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:12 pm

intriguing ;)
Steve
Westfield Megabusa, Bromley, Kent.

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:57 pm

you will be surprised with what I have ended up with.

Carlos Fandango wheels and a go faster stripe? well it worked in the 70's so good enough for toady?

Wingco

Postby Wingco » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:37 pm

Is is a 10,000 rpm Honda vtec nicked out of Jay's race car :lol:
Haha I wish Duncan.
Carlos Fandango wheels and a go faster stripe? well it worked in the 70's so good enough for toady? Hum good shout Mark hadn't thought of that but ??

Wingco

Postby Wingco » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:22 pm

Part 2

So the criteria was enough acceleration to over take quickly and safely but be drivable as well. If Sue came out with me I must be able to plod at 30 in 4th gear, well you know what I mean.
Don’t for get we have been talking about this for a while and I didn’t want to take the car of the road if I could help it, Dick said the job could be done in a day so that was good. After a period of time, can’t remember how long I phoned Dick to see how were getting on, again I was not in any rush and Snodhurst were busy racing, but one of the things Dick said was getting a head to get done, so I presumed he was struggling to get one. After a month or so I managed to get one, a guy from Essex had a spare so after a haggle I got a complete head, a Zetec silver top complete £100.
Some of you may know but the silver top is the early zetec head that the hydraulic lifters, I think anything up to 2000 had the silver top but I stand corrected.
Dick phoned me and he had got a head for me, Doh that’s why on for sale on the SKCC website I have a head for sale.
After a bit of time Dick had the head ready so it was making time to get down and get it done, but I would need RR tune before I could use it for any length of time. Now the car was mapped at H.T Racing before so I phoned him to ask price etc, his answer was if its been here before then all I need to do is alter it so he said a price and I left it there, I was trying to tie both in for the same day, basically the day I collect the car and go straight to H.T. Spoke to Dick about it and he said why don’t you get the guy we use for the racing cars to map it, so I thought that’s an idea then I can do everything through Dick, one bill and no hassle in having to drive the car to H.T, plus Dick could organise the RR session for when the car is ready. Now with all this coronavirus we are all having to get through this made the whole thing a .little bit difficult to organise but Dick tuning guy wasn’t busy due the virus so a date was made and I took the car to Snodhurst last Wednesday morning, I was not working due to being forloughed and Snodhurst were a little quieter then normal. That evening I got a video of my car all put back together and running, they don’t hang around that lot at Snodhurst.
The next thing was the RR session, Dick had organised it for Monday 20th at 9.00 in Essex near Lakeside, a guy called Jess was the man and as it turned out he was The Man.
This the engine that had just been built.
https://youtu.be/zLviQnBibWE

Part 3 tomorrow.

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:43 pm

what time tomorrow Colin, i'll tune in.....

Kegco

Postby Kegco » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:19 pm

Interesting read Colin
Keep it coming
ST170 Tiger cat E1
2.1 Tiger cat E1
Mini Rod73 (track toy)

Dick

Postby Dick » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:33 am

I know how this unfolds and think a few of you may be interested in how the car has moved on and one small point that will be made very clear soon .
Keep it coming Colin

Nash

Postby Nash » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:00 am

Oh Colin,
You are a tease :D
Buckle Up - Adventure Calls

Return to “Car Related Discussion”