More Power

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

jeffw

Re: More Power

Postby jeffw » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:16 pm

Nash wrote:Oh Colin,
You are a tease :D

Pot/Kettle

Nash

Postby Nash » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:25 pm

jeffw wrote:
Nash wrote:Oh Colin,
You are a tease :D

Pot/Kettle

I resemble that remark. :lol:
Buckle Up - Adventure Calls

Wingco

Postby Wingco » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:23 pm

Part 3
Monday 19th April 2020, the day all this work came together in one very happy day for us all.
I woke up early, excited, worried but with a smile, I had never been to a RR session before so I didn’t know what to expect tbh.
The guy who was doing the tuning Jessie uses other Rolling roads around the area, he doesn't have a fixed place of his own but uses other peoples rolling road, but its got to be a certain spec. I left at 8 to make sure I was there nice and early, I was heading just around the corner to Ikea in Lakeside, I was there at 8.25, Dick and Jay were there already, after a nice chat Jess turned up.
This particular RR is not one you drive on to, its not two rollers. So the first thing was to take the rear wheels off and bolt this machine which was on dollies direct to the wheels hubs, one each side of course. The next thing was to wire things up, at this point I must say that Jessie had already been down to Snodhurst, seen the car, made sure he could get in to it and read the data. There was a blue lead to see when it pinks, an extension exhaust was pushed up my original, this had a sensor on it for fuel.

RR1.jpg

RR2.jpg

RR5.jpg

RR12.jpg

Now we were locked in this room all 4 of us and its getting cold, due to 2 great big fans blowing at the front of the car, Jessie jumped in and did some checks, warmed the car up and double checked everything. Now you can imagine my horror when he set the rev limit to 8k flip really, this is a Zetec not a Vtec, I found out that that is were the RR starts from but he new how far to go, phew.
After a few runs where he took the car to 7k which was scary Dick reassured me it was fine, ARP bolts had been fitted all was good.
Have a good look at the filters and how they are trying to be sucked in to the trumpets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKgSJQB4b4M

After a few runs where each time the car was taken to 7K but you could here it running smoother every time he did something but he was a little surprised with the figures we were getting, so a conversation with Dick we took the air filters off, now I had used decent quality filters Pipercross, I used the sock version one on each, I kept them clean and oiled.
Ok so what happened next was something that perhaps we could all look at, Jessie took the car again through the rev range to 7K but OMG the difference was immense 30BHP running no filters, Jessie had to make some other alterations due to now finding this extra power, but not just the power the torque curve moved as well, everyone was very happy, Dick new it would make good power and it bloody does.
The note has changed with out the filters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puSsr5Jj8Rw

I know people are going to say you must run some sort of filter and I agree so I am working on something at the moment, but how many times has someone had an engine problem because of no filter? Plus its hard to see how something can get to the trumpets from where they sit under the bonnet.

This next graph shows with filters on and with out, the blue line is with the filters on, the mauve is with out any filters

RR11.1 (2).jpg

So power figures are
210BHP at the crank
177bhp at the wheels
but a very nice 185 nm Torque

My thanks must go to Dick and Jay for putting a great engine together and of course Jessie for some wizardry with his lappy.

All I can say is the drive home was a little quicker than I was
Last edited by Wingco on Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mirror, Signal go faster pedal !!

locost220

Postby locost220 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:41 pm

Very nice
Locost book chassis, Undergoing testing post rebuild :D :?
Robin Hood 2B, keeping me sane
Sylva Leader, stuck to the trailer

Matth93

Postby Matth93 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:43 pm

Well done Colin and co, Do you know how much you have gained with the head work?

Wingco

Postby Wingco » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:55 pm

[quote]Well done Colin and co, Do you know how much you have gained with the head work?[/quote
Matt when I first got the car it was giving 163 at the flywheel I believe, I have got the paper work somewhere around in a file, I haven't done anything to the car other than this.
Mirror, Signal go faster pedal !!

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:22 pm

Great result Colin, be fun to get my V8 up to Jessie if ever I get round to sorting it.
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

Tony C

Postby Tony C » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:25 pm

Great work, sounds lovely without the air filters :D
Tiger Cat E1 - 2008-2009
Tiger R6 - 2009-2014
Austin Healey Sprite - 2014-2018
Fisher Fury Le Mans - 2018-2019

Kegco

Postby Kegco » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:08 pm

Nice work Colin and Snodhurst team