More Power

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

jeffw

Re: More Power

Postby jeffw » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:50 am

Sock filters kill power, always have, always will...every time I see someone with them on I wince.

Well done to all though, 177 at the hubs at TDi is pretty good numbers.

Wingco

Postby Wingco » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:57 am

greenwoo » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:50 pm
nice result....
so head and cams ? Sure you'll have fun finding the new 'limits'..... :D

I think I maybe the one that will hold the car back Mark, its my limits that are the problem but it will be fun to drive :D

jeffw » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:50 am
Sock filters kill power, always have, always will...every time I see someone with them on I wince.

I can agree now Jeff but at the time it was a fix that needed to be done. I am now designing my own filter, the trumpets are hidden under the bonnet but I want to make sure they are safe.
Mirror, Signal go faster pedal !!

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:50 am

That's a good result :)

You may have to cut the bonnet to make room for an airbox or bigger filters. As a temporary measure, maybe some metal mesh over the intake trumpets would at least stop large particles. It always surprises me how much dust collects under the bonnet of my Seven, so a filter is a good idea.

ChrisL

Postby ChrisL » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:11 am

Great result!
I used to run without filters on bike carbs until one of them got a bit of dirt which kept the valve open a tiny bit. Inlet filled with fuel and hydraulic locked the piston, conrod now has the shape of a banana!!
Yes I've been drinking, what of it!!

Dick

Postby Dick » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:11 pm

Yes nice result and to add to Colin's post . The engine in the car was one i built a few year ago to put into he tiger, at the time i fitted the higher comp pistons not the bowl type arp bolts and an era sump with baffle. The rest was standard. The exhaust is a standard tiger manifold and box but the intake was something we had done before on other cars . We used the 1300 Suzuki tbs on a manifold that we had made complete with short tapered trumpets done lots of these and they give very good results for very little money . Engine was controlled by a omex 500 ecu and mapping was done by ht at brands and i cant remember what it made but was not to sad. From early days Colin has ask if i would upgrade the engine for him but that would be a few years away as he want other things done first (Cage Better brake Large tank plus others )
So now have done all those bits plus more we came to the engine , we had talk this over many times and i was sure i could do what was needed but it would have to fit in with colin and our work , not problem its waited this long was the general opinion do when you can. I found a head and started work on it very slowly as my hands hurt if i spend to long grinding them now so over a few weeks i ported and polished a head up re assembled doing all the nice stuff multi angle valves and seats new spring. I had a set of cams that i brought for another job but they never wanted them fitted so happy days the main parts we had ready to go. The new bits for swap over soon arrived head set manifolds gasket cambelt kit head bolts ect . Old top end stripped off and new one fitted in less than a day it was very easy no messing about . Worst job as always is dialling in the cams but iv done a few so for me not so bad we had the engine running that day ready to set up mapping. This would be done on a hub dyno at lakeside by a guy that we are using for race cars. Car made good power but lot better after we took the filters off nice flat toque and very crisp throttle response. Bit worried about the numbers to start until i see the computer was in kw not bhp got me thinking i may have over cam this head. The hold back on the car is the exhaust system now as always im sure we could have squeezed a bit more . Best part of the day watching colins face as the revs went up and the power peaked out. I can see an lsd being fitted very soon

Wingco

Postby Wingco » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:25 pm

Thanks Dick, a good write up, it tells a better story than my rambling on :lol:

DJ You may have to cut the bonnet to make room for an airbox or bigger filters. As a temporary measure, maybe some metal mesh over the intake trumpets would at least stop large particles. It always surprises me how much dust collects under the bonnet of my Seven, so a filter is a good idea.

I am working on something as we speak Duncan, no need to cut the bonnet this should fit fine, just need to get a couple of welds done so Ill wait for Tony T for that. When its finished ill post a photo up.

SteveRST

Postby SteveRST » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:17 pm

Fantastic result! Thanks for writing that up both of you.
Over 200 bhp - That'll keep you on your toes for a while Colin! :D

Certainly sounded far meaner with the filters off.

So is that a silvertop block and head with a blacktop cam cover? I noticed in the earlier video the water pump arrangement is silvertop.
Westfield Zetec turbo & Westfield Megabusa turbo

Wingco

Postby Wingco » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:45 pm

Steve
So is that a silvertop block and head with a blacktop cam cover? I noticed in the earlier video the water pump arrangement is silvertop.

Yes Steve,silver top with black top rocker cover which i didn't know would fit hay ho that's me :D
Also the sound is insane all intake of course :D :D

Wingco

Postby Wingco » Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:04 pm

So Duncan was saying about air filter of some sorts, so I've done a couple but this seems to work the best. I just need to add some ali strips at the bottom going round the outer edge to give it a bit rigidity. If i have ali strips running on the outside edge and inside edge, i could then make a tab so it bolts to were the trumpets are bolted on, its not heavy so one top and one bottom. Once this is done i can layer more mesh across the top and half way down the side to make the holes smaller. The nice thing is this can't be seen while the bonnet is on so it doesn't have to be perfect, but just do a job.
Hopefully I've explained it well enough ;)

RR17.jpg

You can see the outer edge, so this is were the ali will go around the edge inside and out.

IMG_1380.jpg

SteveRST

Postby SteveRST » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:33 pm

I'd be wanting more than just wire mesh.
Just thinking of all the dirt and gravel that finds its way into all the nooks and crannies of my engine bay.

How about having a layer of mesh like you've done, then a layer of filter material, then another layer of mesh on top of that. That way the filter material can't be sucked into the engine and the mesh holds it all in place.

A bit like this, but with mesh on the outside too

Sheet of air filter material on eBay for £4 here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Air-Filter-Foam-Sheet-Make-Your-Own-Air-Filter-Reusable-RED/362060982416
Westfield Zetec turbo & Westfield Megabusa turbo

Return to “Car Related Discussion”