Ford Pinto sump/crankcase vent/breather.

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

nortonnut

Ford Pinto sump/crankcase vent/breather.

Postby nortonnut » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:07 pm

Hi. In order to fit Yamaha R1 carbs to my Pinto I had to remove standard Inlet Manifold. Whilst doing this I discovered the engine has a Sump/Crankcase vent/breather. This is a small metal cylinder with a short metal tube pushed into the top then rubber tube to manifold. "Haynes" say this is a Oil Separation tank with a metal gauze filter in the rubber section.
I pulled out the tubing and the filter was quite clean. However, when I looked into the small tank it seemed to be filled with black gunge. I started to poke about with a screwdriver and found it was not gunge but a rubbery substance. If I compress and then release it with the screwdriver it springs back.
My question is: Should it be in there? If not Then how do I remove it?
When I had finished the conversion I started and run the engine then had a look round and found a pool of oil under the car. I cleaned it and the Sump up, restarted the engine, then watched underneath. After a few seconds oil started coming though the sump gasket it several places. When I hold my hand near the vent tube I cannot feel any pulses of air coming out.
It is possible that when I was poking about in the Oil Separation tank I have blocked the hole at the bottom. Sump pressure is building up and forcing its way through gasket.
Feedback would be appreciated. Cheers. Mick.

Matth93

Re: Ford Pinto sump/crankcase vent/breather.

Postby Matth93 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:58 am

If you can’t feel any pulsing coming out of the pipe then I expect it’s blocked. I would take it out and you should be able to blow through it. I’m not sure if it would normally have rubber in it but it may be a one way valve which could just be stuck/gummed up. If you run the engine with this out you should feel pulsing coming from the hole in the block. If it is the valve blocked then that could well cause oil leaks.

Dick

Postby Dick » Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:19 pm

Replace the old crank breather box with the 90 deg pipe out let pipe fitting they do, you can then run this into a breather tank . So much better and less agro than the old type .

nortonnut

Postby nortonnut » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:12 pm

Hi Matth93 and Dick.
Thanks for the replies. How do I remove the Oil Separator bit that goes into the block? Is it a push fit or screwed in? Is there any little tricks that help remove it. Could you give me more info about the 90 degree outlet pipe conversion.You say "that they do" but who does it and where can I buy one.
Cheers. Mick.

Dick

Postby Dick » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:32 pm

Burton power do the breather adaptor Part Number: FP280
The old one give a tap up from underneath it , they are good old push fit in.

nortonnut

Postby nortonnut » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:00 pm

Excellent. I will get onto it tomorrow.
Many Thanks. Mick.

Return to “Car Related Discussion”