Improved mirror mounts.

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

DJ.

Improved mirror mounts.

Postby DJ. » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:18 pm

I'm sure a lot of us are looking around for jobs to do at the moment. Several years ago, I fitted round convex door mirrors to my Seven, they were a big improvement over the originals, but fitting them wasn't straight forward. At the time, I didn't have much time and just wanted to get out and drive, so I knocked up some quick mounts hammered from stainless steel sheet:

P1020645.JPG

They have worked well, are stable and surprisingly light. However, they have proved very difficult to keep clean, have rusted on the surface and I always felt they looked a bit amateurish. As I have time on my hands, I decided to have a go at improving them :)

DJ.

Re: Improved mirror mounts.

Postby DJ. » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:27 pm

I bought a bar of aluminium alloy from Ebay. It was 30mm x 10mm x 500mm for a quite reasonable £10.50 delivered. I had a design in mind, and initially thought I would weld the pieces together. I cut out the blanks with hacksaw, and angle grinder. The most difficult part was beveling the ends of the arms.

Once I had the pieces in my hands, I realised my chances of clamping and welding the pieces in exactly the right place without any cock ups weren't good! I decided I would have to bolt them together first to make welding easier. Here is a photo of the rough formed parts:

IMG_7166.JPG

and also bolted together after a bit more shaping:

IMG_7170.JPG

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:44 pm

It was at this stage that I chickened out and decided not to weld the parts together :oops:
The bolts were holding the pieces together very securely, and it just didn't seem worth taking the chance of ruining them, although a really nice tig weld would have looked nicer.

To mount the mirrors on the end of the arms, I needed to tap a thread for the steel ball mounts. They have a very coarse thread, and after some head scratching, googling and counting threads per inch, I decided this must be 1/4 UNC. £4.45 delivered, and a few days wait and I had my first cut tap, drilled the holes and tapped the threads and the mounts fitted OK :D

Next came quite a lot of smoothing, shaping and polishing. I tried to make them a little lighter and look at least a little bit aerodynamic. I considered drilling lightening holes, but decided trying to clean those would be a nightmare.

Here is a photo of the polished parts:

P1020642.JPG

And here assembled:

P1020644.JPG

This is the finished mount with mirror attached:

P1020646.JPG

P1020647.JPG

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:06 pm

Nicely crafted, lovely Job Duncan. I prefer the ‘engineered’ look with the cap bolts. Not sure welding would add much to the bracket..
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:11 pm

Thanks Mike :)

Matth93

Postby Matth93 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:12 am

They’ve come out really well Duncan and I agree bolted together looks good I don’t think they need welding

Rickyrjb

Postby Rickyrjb » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:44 am

Those look great, another job ticked off the list.
I am starting to look for things to do on mine now..
Westfield SEight V8

nelmo

Postby nelmo » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:38 am

Shiny! I particularly like the inlay (?) in the main arm - great detail. ;)

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:18 am

looks just the job!

however
I'm sure a lot of us are looking around for jobs to do at the moment

i wrote a 'to do' list 3 wks ago and according to my ready reckoning if lockdown lasts til end of July I MIGHT just about get towards the tail end of that list!

Wingco

Postby Wingco » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:29 pm

Very nice Duncan, agree with the others that bolting them together looks a lot better. They look very sturdy great job.
Mirror, Signal go faster pedal !!

Return to “Car Related Discussion”