Swirl pot

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

greenwoo
Site Admin

Re: Swirl pot

Postby greenwoo » Sat May 02, 2020 10:39 pm

less so vertically because of the filler neck in the rear tub.

FWIW - you could consider doing away with the rear filler; If of course a bigger tank is of interest. You could leave the current external cap/part and just have a top mounted filler, far easier/quicker when refueling.

You might be surprised by the quote ( in a good way ) and if not, probs worth ringing around locally.
I talked with the guy who runs the local forge last week, and he's scratching - umpteen projects 'on hold'.
If you make it easy for whoever does the job; clear idea about measurements, what you want and maybe even sourcing the inlet/outlet so all they have to do is clean/purge the tank, cut and weld - you may get a 'result'.

Upside of taking the back off to take the tank out is that while its out you could clean the crud and give it a refresh.

Hammy

Postby Hammy » Sun May 10, 2020 7:59 am

Let us know how you get on mate

SJLB

Postby SJLB » Sat May 16, 2020 8:00 pm

Finally got round to fitting mine today, just need to plumb it in. I took the easy option of cutting a hole in the boot box so I could place it above the diff

IMG_0204.JPG
IMG_0204.JPG (115.49 KiB) Viewed 2835 times

IMG_0205.JPG
IMG_0205.JPG (96.23 KiB) Viewed 2835 times
Steve
Westfield Megabusa, Bromley, Kent.

Flyingtiger

Postby Flyingtiger » Tue May 26, 2020 10:03 pm

So ... progress has been slower than hoped but progress nonetheless! decided to go down the sump route, thanks all for your input.
IMG_3702.JPG

rear tub off ...
IMG_3727.JPG

tank out and cleaned up ...
IMG_3728.JPG

note the 'sneeze' of a weld for the return line, no wonder it was weeping!
IMG_3729.JPG

template for sump ...
IMG_3731.JPG

fits nicely but tends to leak when wet!!

so tank sent off to a local recommended welder.
Tiger Supercat 2.0 Zetec.

Flyingtiger

Postby Flyingtiger » Tue May 26, 2020 10:04 pm

apologies, photos seem to be rotated :roll:

Flyingtiger

Postby Flyingtiger » Tue May 26, 2020 10:39 pm

and that's the start ...
'so whilst it's off' is a little voice persistently echoing in the void between my ears!
That relatively simple job has grown. You can see in the pieces some surface corrosion & 15 years of dirt/grime - that's been cleaned, rubbed down and painted with 2 coats of Hammerite, glad that's over. Otherwise all looking pretty good, well as pretty as a Sierra a*se end can! :D
Pleased to find the spacers had been put in for the springs as per many Tiger forum post (Mark!), shocks were std Tiger and not very smooth so got these nice shiny things:
0D420558-51FA-4475-AB64-BBC872204A0A.JPG
Lower mount had a lip that fowled on the shock adjuster so some fettling with the angle grinder was needed. Also found the lower spring mount to that mahasive wishbone was like a big cup and would fill up with water, so some mods to the locating ring and a drain hole (just at the base of the spring below) now drilled should help. Tidied up some of the loom too - some questionable electricians out there! :roll:
IMG_3761.JPG

Brake callipers cleaned up and repainted, fluid change tomorrow and then should have the wheels back on. Some cleaner components ..
IMG_3758.JPG

IMG_3759.JPG

IMG_3760.JPG

Flyingtiger

Postby Flyingtiger » Tue May 26, 2020 10:45 pm

Picked up the tank today ...
IMG_3763.JPG

Very pleased with the quality, you can just see the additional plate on the end where they have made new pickup and return lines which both drop into the base of the sump.
Starting to come together ...

Flyingtiger

Postby Flyingtiger » Tue May 26, 2020 10:50 pm

SJLB wrote:Finally got round to fitting mine today, just need to plumb it in. I took the easy option of cutting a hole in the boot box so I could place it above the diff

IMG_0204.JPG

IMG_0205.JPG

That's a neat job Steve, nice one.

Wingco

Postby Wingco » Wed May 27, 2020 7:11 am

Looking good flyingtiger there is always something you find when you are doing something else ;)
Mirror, Signal go faster pedal !!

Flyingtiger

Postby Flyingtiger » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:18 pm

Tank in ...
IMG_3772.JPG

better view of the sump ...
IMG_3773.JPG

Quite please with how it has fitted!

Spent a lot of time trying to tidy the rear tub, tried taking photos but doesn't really show much. Main issue is it used to be red! Like most reds from that era it has faded badly to orange, plus the spare wheel has worn an arc through the gelcoat.
Before (you can see the red where the lights fitted):
IMG_3739.JPG

IMG_3743.JPG

Gelcoat restorer applied
IMG_3775.JPG

Bought some polishing pads and tried 3m gelcoat cutting compound but no joy. Ended up wet sanding which has improved the colour but has run down a bit thin in places with white dots starting to appear. Got a gelcoat restoring kit from a marine shop and some red pigments to colour match for the gelcoat erosion. Overall has got on well but took several goes for the colour match, still not perfect but it doesn't help when the colour varies across the tub!
All a bit of a compromise but better than it was and trying to save some money atm. Eventually I will see about respray/wrapping.

Back up and running now after finding some dodgy electrical 'mods' for the rear lights and bleeding I don't know what out of the rear brakes!

Next up, removing the spare and a rear diffuser but I was too keen to get back on the road after the lockdown!
IMG_3778.JPG

IMG_3777.JPG

Lovely drive out, felt very different with the new shocks, have them 2 clicks off soft so will play around with them a bit. No leaks or starvation in the lefts now!! Only niggle was the fuel tank gauge doesn't work, will check the sender again.

Thanks for all the advice chaps

Return to “Car Related Discussion”