Lowered Floors help!

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

Rickyrjb

Lowered Floors help!

Postby Rickyrjb » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:01 pm

Hi all,

Considering lowering the floor pans on my Westfield to gain more leg room, anyone done these and have any pointers ??

Thanks
Rich
Westfield SEight V8

greenwoo
Site Admin

Re: Lowered Floors help!

Postby greenwoo » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:10 pm

couldnt you just raise the steering column by a couple of inches?

Never thought about that for my car - as there's triangulation running across the footwells - but thinking about it, guess it wouldnt be that tricky if those weren't there?
Presumably a question of making a cradle between chassis rail and tunnel and then skinning under those new cross supports?

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:14 pm

Before you go to all trouble of lowered floors, is it possible to lower the seat, change to a composite shell seat or even remove the seat and mould one yourself?

I'm a tight fit in my Caterham, and I found fitting the optional Tillet seat as far back as the bulkhead got me just enough space.

Matth93

Postby Matth93 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:15 pm

On the caterhams I believe it’s just a different ally floor panel which is just riveted on but I may be wrong

Rickyrjb

Postby Rickyrjb » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:33 pm

greenwoo wrote:couldnt you just raise the steering column by a couple of inches?

Never thought about that for my car - as there's triangulation running across the footwells - but thinking about it, guess it wouldnt be that tricky if those weren't there?
Presumably a question of making a cradle between chassis rail and tunnel and then skinning under those new cross supports?

On a Westfield its just a flat ali panel, so would just be a case of making a tray and riviting it in... sounds simple.

Raising the steering column would help but my knees are also really tight with the dash.

But thanks for the imput
Westfield SEight V8

Rickyrjb

Postby Rickyrjb » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:39 pm

DJ. wrote:Before you go to all trouble of lowered floors, is it possible to lower the seat, change to a composite shell seat or even remove the seat and mould one yourself?

I'm a tight fit in my Caterham, and I found fitting the optional Tillet seat as far back as the bulkhead got me just enough space.

I checked the seat tonight and its 70mm inc runners (30mm) So would changing the seat make this any lower? Are Tillet seats not $$$$$$
Westfield SEight V8

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:59 pm

as a starter, could you take the runners off?

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:23 pm

Tillets are rather expensive (but I have glass fibre ones that you don't have to sell an organ to buy unlike the carbon/kevlar ones), but there are quite a few similar style seats that look good in other kits I have seen.

If you take the seat out and sit in the floor and you're still tight for knee room then you definitely need a lowered floor.

If you have plenty of room without the seat, there are other options. Chris on here made a seat from expanding foam :)

Rickyrjb

Postby Rickyrjb » Fri May 01, 2020 3:19 pm

DJ. wrote:
If you have plenty of room without the seat, there are other options. Chris on here made a seat from expanding foam :)

I have removed the seat and sat on a 20mm foat sheet and the difference is night and day.. So thats above 50mm lower than the current seat position..

Problem being, 1xSheet of aluminium and some workshop time = cheap
vs 2x new seats = many more dollar!

Money is something that a Sole trader is short of right now :cry:
Westfield SEight V8

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Fri May 01, 2020 3:40 pm

Rickyrjb wrote:I have removed the seat and sat on a 20mm foat sheet and the difference is night and day.. So thats above 50mm lower than the current seat position..

Problem being, 1xSheet of aluminium and some workshop time = cheap
vs 2x new seats = many more dollar!

Money is something that a Sole trader is short of right now :cry:

Good point :(

Return to “Car Related Discussion”