Lumenition C400 probems

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

John G

Lumenition C400 probems

Postby John G » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:42 am

Lumenition C400 probems

A bit of a long story so please bear with me. 2L blacktop Zetec on Jenvey throttle bodies
A couple of years ago I was setting off to the classic Le Mans. The car had been running fine. I put the battery on trickle charge over night and when I set off in the morning it ran like a sick dog. hesitating and missing all the way to Newhaven. When I finally arrived it cut out and refused to start. I had a spare set of plugs which I changed and noticed the crank sensor wire was next ti the live off the battery. I moved the cable away and it started and ran like a watch all the way down and back.
When I returned to the UK the car broke down 20 miles off the ferry. Turned out to be a dead cell in the battery. so I purchased a new battery and alternator as it had stopped charging.
After a new battery and alternator I can't get the car to run cleanly, it hesitates and misses and will not tick over. It smokes with a whitish plume and the plugs are sooty. I have replaced the following;
Plugs, coil pack, leads, air temp and water temp senders as well as draining the fuel.
Any suggestions as where to look next would be appreciated.
I have spoken to Steve at road and race who originally mapped the car ( it ran like a dream) and he has said that the ECU would either work or not
Regards, Jon

nelmo

Re: Lumenition C400 probems

Postby nelmo » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:33 pm

White smoke suggests head gasket gone? Sooty plugs suggests bad combustion/timing which could be because of the ECU.

Never heard of that ECU - looked it up and they seemed to have stopped making it around 2010 and it doesn't seem to have been much good even back then, going by some of the posts. But it's an expensive and difficult item to replace, so would suggest you try cheaper fixes first :)

Return to “Car Related Discussion”