Out for a drive, where to go??

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

Alex.

Out for a drive, where to go??

Postby Alex. » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:48 am

I've booked the day off work on Friday, with the idea of getting out early for a nice day long drive! Not enough kit driving this year, so a late in the year day trip is just what I need.

The embryonic plan is to start in Rainham, as that is where I live :D , point the car at Maidstone, continue on to Hawkhurst, then just go west(ish). Even that plan may change!

Trouble is, I don't really know where the good roads are in the south, so am after some inspiration. If you had the whole day to just go for a drive on some good roads, where would you go?

b33fy

Re: Out for a drive, where to go??

Postby b33fy » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:40 am

Roads are a bit smoother in East Sussex so I’d probably head that way. Lots of B road routes but you’d probably need to route plan and use a sat nav. If sticking to main roads You could do the following: From Maidstone pick up the A229 turn off to Marden just past the stilebridge pub then head to the following: Marden, Goudhurst, Lamberhurst, Wadhurst, Mark Cross, Cross in Hand, Blackboys, Lewes. Then head towards Brighton, you could do a detour to Devils Dyke. then head to the coast, pick up the coast road towards Peacehaven and Eastbourne. Go round the coast road for as long as you like maybe to Rye then pick up the Camber Road. Plenty of opportunity’s for stops etc along the way.
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:41 am

Roads are a bit smoother in East Sussex so I’d probably head that way. Lots of B road routes but you’d probably need to route plan and use a sat nav. If sticking to main roads You could do the following: From Maidstone pick up the A229 turn off to Marden just past the stilebridge pub then head to the following: Marden, Goudhurst, Lamberhurst, Wadhurst, Mark Cross, Cross in Hand, Blackboys, Lewes. Then head towards Brighton, you could do a detour to Devils Dyke. then head to the coast, pick up the coast road towards Peacehaven and Eastbourne. Go round the coast road for as long as you like maybe to Rye then pick up the Camber Road. Plenty of opportunity’s for stops etc along the way.
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

Alex.

Postby Alex. » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:29 am

That's great info, ta muchly!
I'm a bit old school really, that list would get written on paper with road numbers, then I'd go out and wing it. :D Making a 'wrong' turn doesn't matter as it's all fluid, with no sat nav to get bossy.
Besides, my Garmin is really old and needs replacing, I've never even tried to setup an ITN with it. That and the power socket in the car is intermittent, so the nav keeps turning off...

I'll just make sure I turn left before getting wet and have my phone with me in case I get really lost. :lol:

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:19 am

I think to start I would head to Tenterden then down to Rye and head west on the Udimore Rd to Battle where you can pick up the Punnets Town road to Heathfield.

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:44 pm

If you had the whole day to just go for a drive on some good roads, where would you go?

Personally that's why i'd use a sat nav with itn, because unless one knows the good/best roads between A-B its a lottery as to whether they'd be used.
Winging it can be fun, but too easy to miss what may be a cracking road - or get drawn into doing the 'same old'.

I'd hit sissinghurst/golford/back road to tenterden/wittersham/iden/Lydd ring out via camber, back along the military road/broad oak/cripps corner etc...just my view but anything like the a259/27 is boring and when its not boring there's not so many places to overtake the inevitable dawdler.

Alex.

Postby Alex. » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:22 pm

greenwoo wrote:Personally that's why i'd use a sat nav with itn, because unless one knows the good/best roads between A-B its a lottery as to whether they'd be used.
Winging it can be fun, but too easy to miss what may be a cracking road - or get drawn into doing the 'same old'.

But as I don't know the road, looking at a map would be just as much of a lottery as winging it! As for 'the same old', it will actually be the first time I've gone west for the hell of it, except for Wales which is lots of boring until the exceptionally good fun. :D

greenwoo wrote:I'd hit sissinghurst/golford/back road to tenterden/wittersham/iden/Lydd ring out via camber, back along the military road/broad oak/cripps corner etc...just my view but anything like the a259/27 is boring and when its not boring there's not so many places to overtake the inevitable dawdler.

Another good suggestion. I'm drawn more to deepest East Sussex, but will keep this in mind for the next time. :)

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:35 pm

But as I don't know the road, looking at a map would be just as much of a lottery as winging it!

that's where google street view comes in, easy enough to zoom in and see if a small road is a likely contender or a farm track.

nelmo

Postby nelmo » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:22 am

My Sat-nav used to have a 'scenic' option, which took you down smaller roads and worked pretty well.

I say 'used to' because the idiots (CoPilot) decided, in a recent upgrade, to remove that option :shock: :evil:

I've been looking into alternative apps (on a phone, I don't want a standalone unit) and the only decent option (I don't like Google) is Tomtom which now charge a subscription service only :cry:

Weathers

Postby Weathers » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:25 pm

Alex. wrote: The embryonic plan is to start in Rainham, as that is where I live :D , point the car at Maidstone, continue on to Hawkhurst, then just go west(ish). Even that plan may change!

Have you sorted your route yet? I’m in Rochester so let me know what you find. I’m always on the hunt for routes around or from here. There tends to be a lot of “central” routes starting Edenbridge way. Which is fine but local once in a while would be nice.

Also let me know if you decide to join us on a Sunday run (I’m not going this weekend but will next). Can always plan an interesting pre blat blat in true Tony B/Kenton style.

Have fun tomorrow. I might take a leaf out of your book and start doing midweek runs whilst the weather is ok!

Return to “Car Related Discussion”