Tell us about your winter upgrades.

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

DJ.

Tell us about your winter upgrades.

Postby DJ. » Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:20 pm

Last autumn I had to stop using my Seven after a ticking noise starting from cold developed into a full on rattly noise from the front of the engine.

Consequently my main winter project was to investigate and cure this noise. It was hard to tell the cause, but I was relieved to hear it ceased when the engine ran without the auxillary belt. I deduced it had to be from either of the two belt pulleys, or the water pump or the altenator. My guess was the water pump, and the good news is my car was due a 5 year timing belt change this winter.

Doing the timing belt on the Sigma involves a four foot long spanner and a box full of special tools that I have either bought or made.

While the crank pulley was off, I decided to lighten it as it can run two belts and only one is used. I put it on my lathe and turned down the front section. This will also make the engine easier to remove as this pulley gets close to the chassis.

Good news, when I started the engine the noise had gone.

What have you guys been doing. I know Colin has been working on the rear of his Tiger.

Wingco

Re: Tell us about your winter upgrades.

Postby Wingco » Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:53 pm

Great news Duncan, glad you got it sorted and it seemed a fairly easy fix ?

Well where do I start !! my upgrade's.
I want bore everyone with all the details but things are progressing nicely.
Some of you know that my old Koln axle was leaking like a sieve and I wanted to get a LSD.
So I bought a Atlas axle a a couple of years ago and had a new diff put in from road and race in Shoreham Kent. The axle was round at Tony T for a while being modified with all the right brackets needed and welded on, he did a great job.
Richard kindly popped over to give me a hand lifting the new axle in to the vacant space and bolting up. We fitted the newly powder coated trailing arms that Richard had redone for me, he did a fantastic job.
I have gone for a rear brake conversion from drums to discs and this should be fitted tomorrow.
Awaiting new bearings for the half shafts which should be done buy next weekend, fit half shafts and brake discs, should be good to bleed the brake system then.
Got to sort out new hub conversion due to my half shaft having a PDC of 100 and my wheels being PDC 108, I found a company that make hubs that convert from one to the other, cheaper than buying new wheels.
Well that's me so far, will endeavour to keep this updated, you can all wake up now !!
Mirror, Signal go faster pedal !!

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:06 pm

It is definitely better to change the pcd of the hubs to match the front, because it is a pain when you have to run different front and rear wheels. I bet you can't wait to test drive it :mrgreen:

Wingco

Postby Wingco » Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:09 am

I bet you can't wait to test drive it
I just hope what I may gain is worth it ? Never had a lsd so don’t really know what to expect tbh.
Hopefully another month and half I’ll be there ;)

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:26 pm

Wingco wrote:
I bet you can't wait to test drive it
I just hope what I may gain is worth it ? Never had a lsd so don’t really know what to expect tbh.
Hopefully another month and half I’ll be there ;)

Nice work Colin, LSD’s are fun, just ask SteveRST :D
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

locost220

Postby locost220 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:49 pm

Well let’s see what I can remember in no particular order.
Stripped and rebuilt the 45s on the Robin Hood and still need final setting up
Repaired and re plumbed the broken drivers seat on the same as well as replacing the Speedo cable that stopped it jumping from correct speed to x 1.5 every few seconds.
Sorted out drivers slipping carpet
Failed to properly fix sticking accelerator cables
Had to strip and rebuild brake calliper but ended up being collapsed flexible brake pipe that was locking brake ( did other side as well for hood measure)

On the Locost the summer project merged into winter project so stripped out and replaced all shock springs
Fettling taking place on the replaced engine.
Sump guard needs a few snacks and refitting
Been a quiet one
Locost book chassis, Undergoing testing post rebuild :D :?
Robin Hood 2B, keeping me sane
Sylva Leader, stuck to the trailer

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:12 pm

¨Been a quiet one¨ only you would say that :D

I hope the new spring sort Eleanor for you, when will you be able to test drive her?

locost220

Postby locost220 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:59 pm

Working my way up to an MOT at the moment.
Locost book chassis, Undergoing testing post rebuild :D :?
Robin Hood 2B, keeping me sane
Sylva Leader, stuck to the trailer

Wingco

Postby Wingco » Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:13 pm

Just a short update.
Firstly why do all the small jobs take so bloody long ?
Anyway plumbing in new brake linings to take the calipers. Mounted my bios valve in the boot due to once adjusted then I don't need to touch it ?
using the original feed from the front, into bios valve, into a 3 way splitter. Using banjo fittings on the calipers so they sit nice and flat.
The 3 way splitter will also be mounted as high as I can in the boot behind my seat, this will also have a bleed nipple on it so we can bleed the system there and also on each caliper.
I got all my fittings and hose from CBS cant go wrong with the quality really, but not cheap.
Anyway a short update hope it all makes sense ;)

thumbnail_25C1EAF8-B830-4765-B900-999A02C4DCA4.jpg

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:46 am

Sounds like you have done a proper job Colin. I haven't heard of a bleed valve on a brake line before. I take it they are Sierra rear calipers, mine can be a pain to bleed, but after a few goes it does all come out, I have heard it is important not to use the hand brake before getting them bled, I don't know if that is true. I also find they introduce a bit of extra travel into the brake pedal, so if you think you still have air, but the pedal is rock solid with the handbrake applied, it is the calipers at fault, not air.

Return to “Car Related Discussion”