To helmet or not too helmet?

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

Leftfield Westfield

To helmet or not too helmet?

Postby Leftfield Westfield » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:00 am

What's the forums opinion on wearing a helmet in a seven style car?

I have always been of the opinion that for aeroscreens it's a must and that for windscreened and sidescreened cars then you look, well like a helmet really.

But lately, perhaps due to the onset of age I have been having second thoughts and am thinking of donning a helmet for the more "spirited" drives :evil: just in case the worst would happen. (I have a screened car.)

and also I have a helmet that just sits there doing nothing aching to be worn............

Ben_Copeland

Re: To helmet or not too helmet?

Postby Ben_Copeland » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:56 pm

Can't comment on the windscreen side of things, but I always wear a helmet as I have nothing but scuttle in front of me. Only for very short runs will I not bother.

Got sprayed with screen wash once with no helmet. Not nice!!
Ben

On the road, but never finished....

greenwood03

Postby greenwood03 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:25 pm

When i bought my aeroscreened car i reckoned that: I'd always wear a helmet on the motorway and always some form of safety eyewear for all other roads. That said, over the winter i have worn the helmet on normal drives as it was a bit parky, and i normally have it in the car just in case i change my route home or it rains hard.
I personally dont see the point of an open topped car and then a helmet, sort of defeats the object
(IMHO ).

Mike S

Postby Mike S » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:27 pm

For me it is not so much the mechanical protection issue, though I don't under estimate that either.

It is more to do with comfort and particularly wind noise.

I have no screen of any sort so get the full blast of the wind. I use sports sunglasses as they have a nice foam seal to keep the wind out so my eyes don't water so much for short blats on normal roads, but consider a helmet essential for any sustained high speed driving like Motorways.

Also, getting hit in the face by a stray bolt or something flying up from a truck is not too apealing either.

Those of you who are bikers as well, will be very aware of the long term damage to hearing that can be caused by wind noise (even with a helmet on).

Mike

bi22le

Postby bi22le » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:54 pm

I have only had aero screened cars and I think its a must when going over 30mph. If im driving locally and touch over 30 at the odd time ill just wear my sun glasses. Anything faster than that I wear a skid lid. I think its more comfortable aswell.
I would wear a helmet less if I did have a screen I think. Only wear one if I know im going for a hoon or long run on my tod.

daxmatt

Postby daxmatt » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:23 pm

On motorways i'd wear a helmet,but on a hot sunny day lose the helmet.i only have an areoscreen,so i just wear safety glasses,like dewalt site safety shades.I find with the helmet on i get a lot of boom or drone from the exhaust.But i must agree it is risky without one,flying stones etc......

Contaminated

Postby Contaminated » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:44 pm

I wear a helmet if I'm doing a motorway or anywhere with sustained high speed. I also wear a helmet if I'm with Mark so I'm not recognised and becasuse I tend to drive quicker. In a safer environment than with Mark (e.g. on my own through the lanes, being shot at, being dangled upside down in tar, driving over mines) decent eye protection and a hat suffice.

locost220

Postby locost220 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:41 pm

with our screen car i have not bothered up to now to wear a helmet, but do tend to wear sun glasses or a hat when required.
That said i have recently got a helmet to use for an event and may try this out as i should be able to listen to music as well, this will mainly be for longer motorway driving.
Rich
Locost book chassis, Undergoing testing post rebuild :D :?
Robin Hood 2B, keeping me sane
Sylva Leader, stuck to the trailer

James

Postby James » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:33 am

locost220 wrote:with our screen car i have not bothered up to now to wear a helmet, but do tend to wear sun glasses or a hat when required.
That said i have recently got a helmet to use for an event and may try this out as i should be able to listen to music as well, this will mainly be for longer motorway driving.
Rich

On long drives motorway ect, i use my ipod while wearing my skid lid normally if the doors are off as the buffetting is unreal!... you need the in the ear type but its quiet comfy :).. be warned you wont hear anything at all with a skid lid on and ipod so spirited bikers tend to give you quiet a fright :lol:

Other than that i wear balistic proof sunglasses to protect my eyes, lets face it, if somthing is strong enough to damage the glasses im f...... :ugeek:

Nogoingback

Postby Nogoingback » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:01 pm

Best feeling in the word is to drive out on a summers day with just the sun glasses t-shirt shorts and no screen in front of you. But dont decide to drive home in the dark as i did last year as you cant see in sun glasses. Helmets are for bad weather days or going fast. I have to say that a bike engine at 10,000 revs and no helmet is just the dogggs!

Return to “Car Related Discussion”